Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just bought a Gizmondo

Options
  • 21-11-2005 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I got a Gizmondo with the GPS package at the weekend and I have to say so far I am extremly impressed. I was sort of torn between the PSP and the Giz , finally went with the Giz.

The unit itself is very versitile, it feels well made and very solid. The lcd screen is very sharp and seems to have better clarity than the PSP.

Here's some spec's:

TFT screen ~ 240 x 320 pixels
    400 Mhz ARM9 from Samsung
    128-bit 3D Graphics accelerator from Nvidia
    GPS tracking application
    GPS mapping application
    MP3 playback
    MIDI/WAV formats
    SMS
    Speaker
    Windows Media Player 9
    MPEG 4 video playback
    JPEG camera
    SD flash card reader
    Mini-USB client
    Bluetooth class 2 for multiplayer gaming
    Temperature range 0°C to 55°C
    Removable SIM card
    Removable battery
    Polyphonic ring tones
    Stereo headset socket for MP3 and games
    Flight Mode
    GSM tri-band
    GPRS Class 10
    WAP 2.0
    MMS receive and send

At the moment you can't actually walk into any stores in Dublin and buy games for it, but Argos will be stocking them soon (in current catalogue) and they are available online in a good few stores.

Check out this screenshot for "Jonny Whatever". It's a good example of what the 128bit Nvidia chip can do.

1884_h.jpg

The GPS tracking is built in, it will work on it's own without any other software and give you a gps location. But with the package I bought in Maplins (€329) I got Copilot Navigator 2006 (on an sdcard) and it seems to be upto date with all the Dublin roads and its very acturate.

I read on the Gizmondo forums that there will owners will be able to run Windows CE based apps soon on the Giz owing to the fact that someone has cracked it and it's base software is essestially Windows CE 4.

Overall a good buy, alot more versitile than the PSP with not a bad pixel in site.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

If you didn't have 1000+ posts, I'd have guessed you were a paid stooge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i was considering one of these until psp came along and marketed my heart away... then of course there's the whole "gizmondo going out of business" thing which'll stop development and support...

also their launch party had loads of rappers talking about technology like they have a clue... :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

i was considering one of these until psp came along and marketed my heart away... then of course there's the whole "gizmondo going out of business" thing which'll stop development and support...

also their launch party had loads of rappers talking about technology like they have a clue... :\

IF they went out of business it wouldn't stop my Gizmondo from working !!.

I know for a fact that Maplins got in a big shipment of them and they sold out of the just recently, so there are people out there buying them.

Also, a service pack was just release for it and so this is fairly good proof that it is still being supported by the manufacturers.

ObeyGiant wrote:
    If you didn't have 1000+ posts, I'd have guessed you were a paid stooge.

I guess my post does smack abit of "promo hype", just realised it after I posted. You can probably tell that I'm fairly happy with it. :D

Has anyone else bought one ???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Can you run emulators and the like on it? That'd be especially handy of the supply of official software dries up :)

• Advertisement

Stephen wrote:
    Can you run emulators and the like on it? That'd be especially handy of the supply of official software dries up :)

Some guys on http://www.gizmondoforums.com/forums/index.php?act=home have cracked the OS and using the SDK are signing software thats ment for Pocket PC's. I have seen a video with Quake running on a Giz through some emulator thats in development.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

That screenshot is from the PC running the Engine of the game, not an actual HW shot at all. The fact the res is way above the supported res on the Giz is a dead giveaway. Developers used to do this (though not as blatantly) on the Zodiac (another PDA gaming hybrid).

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

that screen shot is unreal, apparently they have WIP on PS/N64 emu ? in the making, its possible ive heard.
    MAME+SNES+SEGA would run perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

I Have a Gizmondo for sale at the moment over on the forsale / consoles forum just want to sanity check the price here...How does €175 inc a game and a carrycase sound??thoughts..
    Amigaman

This is definatly from the Giz itself, I've seen it working. The name of the game is Colours, it's a GTA type clone.

1396_h.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

It is an impressive piece of hardware no doubt (word), but hardward does a system make not always (as Apu would say)

The games line up seems limited, and I doubt it will last. Look at the Atari Jaguar, not all it has look forward to is obscure entries in polls and running for president

Still if I had €400 and nothing else to spend it on I could think of worse things. The GPS stuff is supposed to be cool

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

played a few of the giz games - and they are all utter rubbish..

save yourself a hundred quid and get a DS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The company will be going out of business (fraud, supposed ties to the mafia, and so on). There aren't enough good games for it as it is, no killer app, and there isn't enough of a homebrew/emulator community or set-up yet to keep it going after that.
    There are much better things to spend your money on if you're into games and want a handheld, like a DS, PSP or GBA Micro.

Advertisement