Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Sclerosis... Life does go on!

Options
  • 21-11-2005 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi there

Last April I was diagnosed with Relapsing/Remitting MS and was wondering if anybody out there either has MS or knows somebody with MS.

I managed to accept the illness pretty quickly (with lots of ups and downs) but hear from support people that other MSers may take a very long time to get over the shock and all the extra hassles it brings. I am either having a constant relapse now or I am progressing quickly to Second Progressive MS. Either way, I am very optimistic about my future and know that this illness is not the end of my life!

Therefore I would like to hang out with others who feel like talking about MS or who are just interested in grabbing a coffee in town.

Give me a shout if you are interested or just feel like chatting!

CN :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭SexeeAussie

Hi there

Last April I was diagnosed with Relapsing/Remitting MS and was wondering if anybody out there either has MS or knows somebody with MS.

I managed to accept the illness pretty quickly (with lots of ups and downs) but hear from support people that other MSers may take a very long time to get over the shock and all the extra hassles it brings. I am either having a constant relapse now or I am progressing quickly to Second Progressive MS. Either way, I am very optimistic about my future and know that this illness is not the end of my life!

Therefore I would like to hang out with others who feel like talking about MS or who are just interested in grabbing a coffee in town.

Give me a shout if you are interested or just feel like chatting!

CN :D

Hi CN

Wow, all I can say is inspiring post. I do not have MS, I have nursed patients with MS though.

I think you are really positive and gutsy and I tell you what, a great attitude goes a long way!!

Lets hope your illness does not progress fast, but if it does...be aware of all the support, love and care you can get!

Hugs to you.

Rachel (from the other side of the world!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Hi CN,
    I also have MS, (albiet at a bit more of an advanced stage by the sound of it).

All I can say, keep yourself as healthy as you can in all the other ways, proper diet, avoid toxins, And above all else, when you feel you need to rest, when your body says rest, no matter the situation, REST, anyone whos annoyed by it can go to hell. Trust me, its vital.

Avoid emotionally "toxic" people, all they will do is bring you down and feed on your difficulties and make them worse than they are to you.

Dont make the mistakes I made.

Also, learn before you *need* to, to take *everything* as it comes, and make the most you can of every second of every minute of every day.

Never underestimate your abilities, and try never be around others who do either.

Best of luck,

b

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

i'm a student OT and my last placement was in community rehab, where i met a few people with MS and Motor Neurone disease. it seems to affect people differently.

you could try (ms society website) http://www.ms-society.ie/index.html

MS Ireland Publications and Information Sheets are available free. you can contact contact MS Helpline 1850 233 233 or email info@ms-society.ie

support groups http://www.ms-society.ie/resources/websites.html#support
    whuch may give you the opportunity to meet other people with MS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 WannaDance?

Hello Crunchy,

I have just joined boards and I saw your message. I have had MS for the past 16 years. If you want to meet for a coffee and a chat drop me a line. The MS society does have a range of activities for its members. I remember the first time I went to one of them seeing the range of people from young to old was interesting and in fact a little scary. I vowed never to be one of them limping or in a wheelchair. I should have recorded that somewhere. Some where along the line I broke that promise to myself!

MS isnt a death sentence, more like joining an elite club. You will soon get tired of people telling you 'You are so nice! So strong!'. They are necessary qualities before you are allowed in our gang. ;)

Be well and if you want to drop me a line feel free.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

hello i register to reply to this post
    well my mother has ms for a while now and i found out about a few treatments for it, that the doctors in bomount for some reason the decided not to tell my mother about (in dublin tho im not sure they mite have informed you more)

There is a treatment called mitoxintrone (i think thats how its spelt) its a mild form of chemo therapy its been good for some people but its not full proof.
    you shold ask about it .
    There is a injection like the rebif
    (they usualy put people with ms on rebif or another type of it)
    But i will have to find the name of it and i post again its not provided by the health board but its actualy supose to be better from what i read about it.

and finaly stem cell's myself and some people from the family are trying to get 18k for my mother to fly to holland and get this treatment we rang them up i will find the number and post it up here and msg it to you il post it up incase anyone else wants it.

well im write back when i get that other info for you.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Hi Crunchy Nut and the rest of you,
    Sorry to hear of your MS diagnosis . Have you ever heard of low dose naltraxone (LDN)? It may not be of any interest to you, or you may be sick of hearing about miracle cures and lotions and potions etc but I personaly know of 3 people who have found its made a huge difference to their MS. 1 is a doctor who started it 16 years ago and believes it halted the progession of his illness. The other 2 are people who live close to me and have had the same experience. One man feels hugely better than he did and has started working again and was out playing with his kids for the first time in their lives three weeks after he started it. I dont want to build your hopes up but from what I have seen of it I think its definitely worth you having a look. Its a medical treatment and very cheap too ..around E30 a month. The website address is www.ldninfo.org
    If you would be interested in talking to one of the people I know who have found it has worked for them I know they would be happy to help. PM me if you like.
    Good luck andkeep the chin up !
    Happy New Year and may it bring you good health

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

hello again,
    yea that LDN was the other medication i was talking about
    and this is a website www.stem-cells.com there's loads of info about the ldn there and what there doing in holland i think you can contact some of the people from the website there and ask them for more information on it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

My Mam has had MS for the past 13 years and she is brilliant. Her positive attitude is amazing and she is an inspiration to everybody. You seem to also have an amazing attitude and that will carry you a long way. Originally my Mam was told that she would be in a wheelchair within 3 years but that hasn't happened.

My Mam is currently on an injection every second night and that seems to be helping her stay as she is which is fantastic.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you keep your amazing attitude!!

Advertisement