Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going Wireless

• 21-11-2005 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Ok, I have an old PB pc that I am using for Eircom Broadband. I am connected through the usb to a Netopia Cayman 3300 series router/modem. Recently I have bought a new laptop and it has wireless capabilities, what I want to know is whatdo I have to do to get the wireless working on the laptop and keep the BB on my old PC. Do I just need to get a wireless router and get rid of the Netopia or what?? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Yep, invest in a wireless router and fit it in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

So basically your saying I can dump the old modem/router and a wireless one will work in its place??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Yep. I did.

Well, I kept the old box just in care anything went wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

do you not still need your old modem?! does it not go telephone line to Old router(caymen in this case) then ethernet to the wireless router, then to the pc's?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Current router/modem + Wireless router or AP (*)
    or
    a neater solution: wireless router/modem bundle (i.e. This box connects to the Internet, has Ethernet (RJ45) ports, and a built-in Wireless Access Point to allow WiFi Network Cards connect. )

* Does the current Netopia Cayman 3300 have RJ45 ports? How many?

oh,and option 3 is a Wireless card for the PC - and Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) -but this means leaving the PC on to get the connection.. it might be a bit cheaper in the short term..but the second option is by far the best solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vinneyboy

I'm getting wireless broadband in my house, i have a laptop and want to go wireless any suggestions on which router to get as i don't have a clue?

Advertisement