Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Websense blocking Boards.ie

Options
  • 21-11-2005 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭

All last week in work Websense wasn't blocking Boards, went in this morning and it's blocked again under the category 'web chat'. What a pisser.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

And this is site-related feedback how?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

dubmick wrote:
    All last week in work Websense wasn't blocking Boards, went in this morning and it's blocked again under the category 'web chat'. What a pisser.

Use http://www.pie.boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

I have that constant problem, but what happens is that the "quote" and "reply" buttons for posts remain blocked by the websense as they are linked directly to www.boards.ie. Hence although boards can be viewed, you cannot post, which is quite frustrating.

If a workaround can be found it would be appreciated. Of note, for a short spell during the upgrade, it WAS possible to post to boards, but subsequently this ability was repealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

WizZard wrote:
    And this is site-related feedback how?

boards.ie is currently being blocked by Websense. I think this is feedback on this site. Let me know if you need me to explain again.

Cheers, I'll give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

boards.ie is currently being blocked by Websense. I think this is feedback on this site. Let me know if you need me to explain again.

Errr no, it's feedback for Websense really..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

pie doesn't work either through websense.

Go to www.dyndns.org - set up an account and then set up a dynamic dns name pointing at 82.195.136.250.

You can use that to get to boards. Images (buttons, smileys, etc) don't work as they use absolute references but that's a minor inconvenience.

SUGGESTION FOR CLOUD: Don't use absolute references for images? Probably too big a task when you've other problems such as new servers coming etc but maybe someday in the future :)

Macro, cheers for that. How you had much success with other sites?
    Ebay is blocked in my place, very unhappy about that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

eBay and Boards.ie? The monsters! Do they expect you to work or something!?
    You can also try troll.boards.ie..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

dubmick wrote:
    Macro, cheers for that. How you had much success with other sites?
    Ebay is blocked in my place, very unhappy about that :rolleyes:

I think I tried Ebay before and had a problem with it due to their being multiple servers. Gmail just plain won't work :(

I'll try Ebay again tomorrow and let you know.

• Advertisement

Karoma wrote:
    eBay and Boards.ie? The monsters! Do they expect you to work or something!?
    You can also try troll.boards.ie..

ha,ha working is for losers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

dubmick wrote:
    ha,ha working is for losers ;)
    Or people who want to get paid, buy what they like and live comfortably...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Surfcontrol classss boards as "usenet news" and a quick look at the logs shows that it ain't that popular in our place...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, websense themselves don't block boards.ie, they just categorize it under 'chat' or something along those lines, and your organisation blocks that category.

Its blocked where i work too, but then I'm one of the websense administrators there ... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Try the IP address. Works for me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

DrIndy wrote:
    I have that constant problem, but what happens is that the "quote" and "reply" buttons for posts remain blocked by the websense as they are linked directly to www.boards.ie. Hence although boards can be viewed, you cannot post, which is quite frustrating.

If a workaround can be found it would be appreciated. Of note, for a short spell during the upgrade, it WAS possible to post to boards, but subsequently this ability was repealed.

You can still post using http://pie.boards.ie from work if websense is blocking the main boards.ie site cos I'm currently doing it :)

Websense seems to make buttons invisible but if you mouse over the bottom right hand of the post you wanna reply to slowly the pointer changes from the arrow to the hand and it will tell you whether you are replying with quote or quick replying. It's a bit finicky when you first start doing it cos your aiming for a point thats about a pixel big but give it practise and you will be fine. There, problem solved.

Advertisement