Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat TDI timing belt and servicing?

Options
  • 21-11-2005 11:54pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just bought an 03 VW Passat TDI a few weeks ago and wonder what are the recommended service intervals and what about timing belt?
    She has just gone by 50k yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dcully wrote:
    Just bought an 03 VW Passat TDI a few weeks ago and wonder what are the recommended service intervals and what about timing belt?
    She has just gone by 50k yesterday.

Usually the timing belt should be changed every 40k or 50k miles as I have been told by numerous mechanics. So it either needs to be done or may have been done recently. Did the car come with a service history?

Not 100% sure here but the service interval I think should be around every 15k miles but the oil and oil filter would probably need to be changed on a diesel more regularly probably every 7k miles.

I thought VWs had a service interval indicator in the dash or something or maybe that is on top of the range models only. Not that I would strictly go by that anyway.

How is the car going for you anyway? What kind of mpg are getting?

Another thing to remember about the Passat is that the engine is mounted longitudinal rather than the more common transverse mounting which means the timing belt is more difficult to remove and hence the job costs more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just came across this on TDIclub webbie.
    Its an American webbie but im sure timing belts are similar on US models?

"The replacement interval varies depending upon model but is generally 96,000 km for manual transmission models for the 2001 and prior model years, and 64,000 km for automatic transmission modeis for the 2001 and prior model years, and 128,000 km for 2002 model year regardless of transmission. The 2002 model has an updated belt and tensioner design which may be retrofitted to A4-chassis models of prior years to take advantage of the extended change interval provided that both the belt and tensioner are replaced. The extended-life belt and tensioner cannot be fitted to the older A3 or B4 engines because the belt is a different length and will not fit."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

depends on the engine code

some have to be replaced every 40k
    some e.g. code MY every 60K

tensioner pulley must be also replaced at the time . repair time should be 2.5 hours

Dcully wrote:
    Just came across this on TDIclub webbie.
    Its an American webbie but im sure timing belts are similar on US models?

"The replacement interval varies depending upon model but is generally 96,000 km for manual transmission models for the 2001 and prior model years, and 64,000 km for automatic transmission modeis for the 2001 and prior model years, and 128,000 km for 2002 model year regardless of transmission. The 2002 model has an updated belt and tensioner design which may be retrofitted to A4-chassis models of prior years to take advantage of the extended change interval provided that both the belt and tensioner are replaced. The extended-life belt and tensioner cannot be fitted to the older A3 or B4 engines because the belt is a different length and will not fit."

Another thing with the above statement is that I don't think they sold the 1.9 4 cylinder TDi unit in the US. The above may refer to the 2.5 V6 TDi only.

Ring a VW dealer and ask them to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Have mine about 7 months now.....I get it serviced every 10K miles.....just got done last week....full service with new oil, fuel, air filter, pollen filter and checking of timing belt.....f**ks in garage where I bought it never changed the air and pollen filter in it when they serviced after I bought!! the pollen filter looked like it hadnt been changed since the car was first bought!!

On timing belt make sure to get it checked correctly....bro has a Audi A4 and he gets his service done in garage where he bought it to keep service history....anyway got it serviced.....couple of months later the timing belt went on car....brought into garage and asked them....seemily they never bothered checking the belt(idiots) so they fixed up engine but then sent him a bill for over 1200 euro....he told them where to shove it!!

Advertisement