Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound card for Christmas

Options
  • 22-11-2005 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Alright lads, im looking at getting a sound card for chrimbo and i was wondering would this do the job for me and my band mates?

Were looking at doing multitrack recording live. We need something that can record Multiple tracks similtaneously on seperate tracks and each track still contain the quality needed as if we were to record each instrument individually. We really want to hear each instrument as we play it together aswell, so will this do the jizzob? (excuse the homie talk) :v:

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Its a nice little setup, the only problem I can see is that the inputs dont appear to have pre-amps so for each seperate audio signal going into the breakout box you will require some method to boost the signal level significantly for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dequinn

what would you recommend in terms of preamps for that 10 in/10 out setup. we'll be using 2 mics for vocals/backing, the bass will prolly be direct in, same for guitar, single in from the drums (already mixed but not boosted).we'd also like to be able to put Tube effects on the guitars ive heard you can get preamps that do that specifically. were also planning on using the outputs for live mixing and headphones, we want everyone playing to be able to select what track(s) they hear through thier headphones so we prolly need a few cheap n cheerful mini mixers for everyone but does that mean we'll need preamps for the headphones aswell?
    also we dont want to skimp on quality but were on a seriously tight budget :s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Hey sorry if this is cheeky, but just to let you know I am selling a Behringer BCA2000 for 140 here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=317495

As far as I know you can record 3 analogue sources and 1 digital source, Youll have to look into it, I used it simply as a low latency ASIO midi interface.

I bought it for 227 from Music Technology Ireland and still have the reciept.
    Its Windows only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

The E-MU 1212m is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

:v:

• Advertisement

dequinn wrote:
    what would you recommend in terms of preamps for that 10 in/10 out setup. we'll be using 2 mics for vocals/backing, the bass will prolly be direct in, same for guitar, single in from the drums (already mixed but not boosted).we'd also like to be able to put Tube effects on the guitars ive heard you can get preamps that do that specifically. were also planning on using the outputs for live mixing and headphones, we want everyone playing to be able to select what track(s) they hear through thier headphones so we prolly need a few cheap n cheerful mini mixers for everyone but does that mean we'll need preamps for the headphones aswell?

For budget band recording I'd forget about the 10/10 soundcard, it can really be a bit over the top. Since drums are going into one track (prob through a mini mixer) why not buy a nice 2 or 4 input soundcard with good pre-amps allready in it (like an original MBox, can be found cheap these days). That way you can record the bass/drums together, then the guitars, then the vocals and depending on your equipment get a pretty good sound.
    dequinn wrote:
    we'd also like to be able to put Tube effects on the guitars ive heard you can get preamps that do that specifically. :s

Theres many types of pre-amps, for example theres pre-amps with tubes in them which give a nice warm tube sound to your recordings. However I think you are referring to an amp modeller, like a POD or Tonelab, where they emulate a tube amp and various effects and can work wonders for D.I recordings
    dequinn wrote:
    were also planning on using the outputs for live mixing and headphones, we want everyone playing to be able to select what track(s) they hear through thier headphones so we prolly need a few cheap n cheerful mini mixers for everyone but does that mean we'll need preamps for the headphones aswell?

Headphones dont need pre-amps, and technically you could bring your computer to a gig and use the outputs on your soundcard for headphones, but its a lot of hassle doing this. Instead you could plug a laptop with an Mbox into the P.A, record the gig, and plug your headphones into the p.a :)

Beecher wrote:
    For budget band recording I'd forget about the 10/10 soundcard, it can really be a bit over the top. Since drums are going into one track (prob through a mini mixer) why not buy a nice 2 or 4 input soundcard with good pre-amps allready in it (like an original MBox, can be found cheap these days). That way you can record the bass/drums together, then the guitars, then the vocals and depending on your equipment get a pretty good sound.

Incase you havnt notices, myself and himself are in the same band haha. By budget he means, the best possible stuff we can get for a reasonable price. We dont plan on kicking the bucket anytime soon, ive known the other 2 lads in the band for 6/7 years, practically grew up with em haha.. so we want to get the best of what we can for our budget.
    We need something so that we can record/hear everything at the same time. We will all be in seperate rooms in our studio, and the goal is to hook all 3 rooms up with jack ports on each wall, going into the 10 port mixer thing, while we can still hear whats going on and point out to each other where we need to do such riffs/if a notes wrong/if a beats off and what not. We also want to assign seperate tracks, so if we do record something together using the mixer, we can edit each instrument if there are mistakes n so on.

We have a 5 port mixer already that we use, and it works ok, but tbh its not enough, we need more... we plan to use the 5 port for the drums alone, the out put of that going into the 10 port, and recording into the PC.

Beecher wrote:
    Headphones dont need pre-amps, and technically you could bring your computer to a gig and use the outputs on your soundcard for headphones, but its a lot of hassle doing this. Instead you could plug a laptop with an Mbox into the P.A, record the gig, and plug your headphones into the p.a :)

I think that was written wrong. By using preamps, do we need them for the input, for example, one for each guitar or output going from the main output of that mixer in to the machine? Either way the signal gets boosted, but which end do we need it for?

red_ice wrote:
    I think that was written wrong. By using preamps, do we need them for the input, for example, one for each guitar or output going from the main output of that mixer in to the machine? Either way the signal gets boosted, but which end do we need it for?

You only need to boost the instrument signal from the guitar/mic to the soundcard, it doesnt have to be a pre-amp though, a powered effect pedal can suffice (allthough done expect great sounds depending on the pedal). The outputs will be fine.

By the sounds of things you are putting a lot of work into this and its only fair you are rewarded with great sound, you should check out this interface, apparently its fantastic, and musicmaker had it in their sale for 250 blips (allthough the sale is over I think they still might have one or two left at this price since is discontinued), or look for an old Motu 828 Mk1, ive seen them go in the buy and sell and ebay for 300'ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭DiamondJQuimby

If only I had the cash I would buy this.

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_mackie_onyx_1620_mixer_prodinfo.html

and this

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_artikel-171588.html

Anyone ever used these..

Will operate as a standard Mixing Desk and then if you add the firewire card you can hook it up for 18 Inputs to Cubase or whatever..

Probably would not work with pro tools ??

D

Probably would not work with pro tools ??

Pro Tools requires pro tools hardware ,or certain M-Audio compatable hardware :( Still that setup would be very very nice :)

• Advertisement

Since 99% of foot pedals take a power addapter or run off of a battery, does that mean they will boost the signal and act like a preamp?

Turns out my gf has bought me this foot pedal for christmas, would that act like a preamp?

Also has anyone used that or heard anything about that pedal? Any good?

Advertisement