Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of a student loan

Options
  • 22-11-2005 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of taing out a student loan to purchase some music equipment the vlaue of which would be roughly two and a half thousand. I got a quote from AIB with 7.8 percent apr, or maybee 8.7 percent, I would like to pay as little as possible back now, do you have any suggestions as to where the best rates/options are available, thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I got an interest free loan from BOI last year, travel loan, once paid off within 6-9months, something like that... they have leaflets about it.

I was a customer of theirs for years tho...
    I paid off that loan and took out another one there for quite a bit more that I have to start paying back this summer, apr 8.8% on this one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

ok thanks, any other ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

I got a loan from AIB when I was in my final year. I got 4,000 but did not start making repayments until I started work the following year. I'm not too sure what the rate was or how much I paid back but I didnt really care as I was not paying it back straight away. I got a term of a couple of years but managed to clear it within the first year so the interest didnt work out as too much. It should be easy enough to get a loan where the repayments dont start until you want. As for rates check all the banks and see how long they will give you before repayments must start..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i got a loan there a while back for €7000 over 4 years and my repayments are 161 quid a month.
    I have been a customer of BOI since 98 and i was already pre approved for €11,000 so i got it that evening.
    my apr for it is 8.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Sparky-s wrote:
    i got a loan there a while back for €7000 over 4 years and my repayments are 161 quid a month.
    I have been a customer of BOI since 98 and i was already pre approved for €11,000 so i got it that evening.
    my apr for it is 8.5%

was this as a student? may i ask how much you had in your account at the time? i have very little in my account and im wondering how much this would affect how much i can take out. i had a loan for 2200eur from aib last year which i repayed on time. i also get paid every week from a part time job so i have a good history but little in the bank from week to week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement