Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Admin not havin rights?

• 22-11-2005 3:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭

At the moment, if I try to close a non-essential program, such as "hl2.exe"(half-life2), I'd click on hl2.exe and click "end process", but nothing would happen. when I click on "end process" again, the first message that appear gives a warning about "terminating a process can cause undesired reuslts...", and then the second error says "the operation could not be competed Access is denied"

The only way that ends the task at the moment is a reboot.

I'm using Windows200, so I got the "kill.exe" from the microsoft.com site. Didn't work, though. I've also tried psshutdown.exe from www.sysinternals.com

I think its a case that I don't have access rights to kill it, as I keep getting an "Access is denied" error, in any of these programs. I'm logged in as Administrator of this machine. I think this, as I've tried 3 different programs (1 of them microsoft, 2 being sysinternal), and keep getting the "access denied" error when I try to kill the process.

So, does anyone know how or why I don't have the rights to kill a process?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Access Denied" after you've already tried to kill a process is because the process has already been sent the kill signal, so nobody has permission to resend it.

Afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I dont know about the rights bit, but Sysinternals have a nice little package called pstools, which includes the beautiful psexec.exe. This program will allow you to execute an application or command as SYSTEM which supersedes Administrator. Using SYSTEM a hacker can make themselves a member of the Administrator group. I did this in my old school using PipeUpAdmin (old tool, well known but our schools computers where still using vanilla windows 2000 with no service packs and so where vunerable.

Anyway how this works for you is simple. Put kill.exe and psexec.exe in the same folder. Open a command prompt and navigate to that folder. So for example if you put them in the C:\ directory then from the command prompt you would type the following to execute kill.exe as SYSTEM

cd \
    psexec -s kill.exe

You could the add what ever switches are required by kill to kill hl2.exe
    it may b
    psexec -s kill.exe hl2.exe

Try it yourself and see.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pskill also from sysinternals is better than Kill though it only works on process ID's

pslist | find /i "hal" to list process with hal in their name
    pskill 1234 to kill process 1234 - kill the wrong one and PC will keel over.

you can call it with psexec too

procexp can also be used on the local machine - it might also list dependencies of the hung app

also have you used the Force option on shutdown ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I don't suppose you're on a domain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

procexp can also be used on the local machine - it might also list dependencies of the hung app

also have you used the Force option on shutdown ?
    I don't have "procexp" on my machine. And I haven't used the Force option at all.

Aside from that, I've tried everything on the thread so far. Stil no luck :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the_syco wrote:
    I don't have "procexp" on my machine. And I haven't used the Force option at all.

Use the Force - http://tinyurl.com/dc3ds :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

For the craic, I closed all the "handles" in an app that was hanging. It did nothing. Still couldn't end that process :(

If you want me to post stuff up here, tell me what, and I'l post it, if you have any idea's, etc.

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/08/unkillable-processes.html

somewhere (on that site?) is an article in which they kill almost every process in windows till the point where you can't even shutdown without re-starting some services.

Advertisement