Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Stove Balanced Flue

Options
  • 22-11-2005 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Hi. Does anybody know if a gas stove with a conventional flue can be converted to a balanced flue? Currently researching new stoves and looking for recommendations, which stove and where to buy? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Cast iron stoves with a balanced flue are available, I'm not too sure about converting a standard flue to a balanced flue because part of a balanced flue is for air intake while the other part is for extracting the fumes.

Have you looked at the possibility of trading in your existing stove against a new one with a balanced flue ?

You also have the option of privately selling your existing stove, one thing you can be fairly sure of is most Bord Gais approved installers will not install an appliance that hasn't been professionally converted if there is such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Thanks RooferPete,
    We've donated our stove to the parents so trying to deside on what Stove to buy. Our new sunroom/livingroom is approx 15' by 12'. We put in a radiator but want some form of heating & a focal point. Cant deside between wood pellet, gas or oil...Dont want solid fuel....We haven't put in a chimney so we're limited to either balanced flue of conventional flue......Is the room too small for wood pellet and will it get too hot? Any suggestions...

Hi stapeler,

I am on a borderline answering this but I'll try without bias.

Gas stoves with balanced flues are available and as you have a connection close by it may be the best option, a small pellet stove would running at about half the output it's capable of.

That said it's also running at half the fuel required, BTW pellet stoves do not run using balanced flues, if you find one they say can I would like to know about it ;)

Thanks again...
    Still deciding. I did visit Forde Furniture near Kilcock and they hava a good display of Pellet Stoves. They indicated no chimney was required and all appeared to be ducted out a wall....I guess thats why I got the impression it was balanced flue...Thks again

Hi stapeler,

I sent you a PM on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Spuddeeez

Hi there,

I am currently in the process of buying a gas fired stove and would love to hear how you decided in the end. Did you purchase from your man near Kilcock or other? What was your experience?

Thanks.

I've sent you a PM. Gave up on the Gas idea and thin woodpellet is the way to go. Have a word with RooferPete who might be able to give you some more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Spuddeeez

many thanks for your reply. I will be going with the gas option as I have the supply right to the hearth which currently has a basic insert/artificial coal fire in there which is a total waste of energy.
    Did you buy from Forde?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Hi all,

in a similar position looking for a gas stove for a new room being built. Can anybody recommend a good gas brand/stove to consider, and is there anything to look out for in specs?

Also wasnt aware that a pellet stove would function in the same configuration? What sort of flue outlet would be needed? Considering this is a single storey room backing onto an existing double storey.

Thanks

Mike

madunphy
    I gave up on Gas & Wood pellet option for the moment. Gas wasn't practical and I was a bit concerned about woodpellet supply/quality. Decided to wait a while and went with a small Mulberry wood burning stove instead. Purchased from Forde in Kilcock. I installed an external twin walled stainless chimney from MI-Flues and it works a treat for what I need. The flue will be suitable for woodpellet etc. should I decide to upgrade later on. Not cheap though...

• Advertisement
Advertisement