Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah gig

Options
  • 22-11-2005 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Anyone going to this, I know its in February but I reckon it will be hard to get tickets closer to the date.

Heard some stuff by these guys from KCRW and quite impressed. Singer has a real David "Talking Heads" Byrne sound to him. Anyways, they play Crawdaddy February 4th.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,578 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

yeah probably will go. bought the album from the band last march after the pitchfork review gave them 9.definately worth checking out.will probably end up being the next "big thing" like the arcade fire did this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Yeah, thats what it seems like. There a fair amount of hype on them going around the blog sites. Seem impressed with what Ive heard.

Album only seems to be an import here at the moment and HMV have a release date of January 23rd. Tower Records had it, but its sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Yeah bought a ticket to give myself the option of going anyway, as you say it would be a good bet that this will sell out. Album sounds decent enough but that pitchfork review has helped to hype them too much i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Self_Architect

Album is released on the 27th of January over here.
    NME have already stated the hype in motion!
    The album is outstanding....
    I'd try and get tickets for this ASAP because it is going to sell out...
    Might even get bumped to a bigger venue....it will be brilliant.

Yeah, reckon this is gonna end up like the Wolfparade gig, gonna sell out quick. Hope they dont move it to a too bigger venue. If they have to, The Village maybe. But Id be well happy with Crawdaddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Shhh dont aknowledge the existence of Wolf Parade.. its still a secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Didn't think it would happen, but they sold out Crawdaddy so have now upgraded the show to The Village.

i suppose it was on the cards, i had never been to Crawdaddy was hoping to check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

are extra tickets gonna go on sale now its in the village ?

herobear wrote:
    are extra tickets gonna go on sale now its in the village ?

sorry to be smart but yeah thats the whole point of moving the gig to the village ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

has this sold out again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 dairec

I got my copy of the album on hmv.co.uk. €15 including delivery.

Pity about the "upgrade" of venue. The Village is rubbish.

Daire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

my main point when asking that question, was wondering when tickets were coming back on sale, but they are now anyway...and i just found i cant go anyway :/

battleroar is on that night in voodoo

the album is pretty good though, nice and mellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I had been told by a Ticketmaster person that The Village tickets were sold out too. Shows how much they know. Just got myself two tickets.

I didn't realise the album was released over here yet. Must get myself a legal copy of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Never heard of either CYHSY or Wof Parade before, so checked them out via the good ministries of Bearshare.

CYSHY - Thanks, I already own a load of Talking Heads records.

Wolf Parade - Thanks, I already own both Interpol albums.

The search for interesting new bands continues....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

magpie wrote:
    Never heard of either CYHSY or Wof Parade before, so checked them out via the good ministries of Bearshare.

CYSHY - Thanks, I already own a load of Talking Heads records.

Wolf Parade - Thanks, I already own both Interpol albums.

The search for interesting new bands continues....
    \

By that logic you could say... Interpol? No thanks I already have a load of Joy Division records.

CYHSY do sound similar to good ol' Talking Heads in ways - particularly vocal delivery. Musically though I think they're different enough to warrant a look.

I think Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth is a mighty fine song.

By that logic you could say... Interpol? No thanks I already have a load of Joy Division records.

True, but [HERESY] Interpol are actually better than Joy Division ever were [/HERESY]

Skin of my yellow etc sounded ok. I just found the studied David Byrne impression a little wearysome.

Enjoy the gig though, I'm sure it will be a good 'un.

magpie wrote:
    True, but [HERESY] Interpol are actually better than Joy Division ever were [/HERESY]

Oooohhhhh, controversial! Some might see that as blasphemy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Wolf Parade are derivative of many many other bands besides Interpol. That doesnt mean they arent good (though I was kinda annoyed by them being drunk at the whelans gig and enough with the comparisons between Apologies and Funeral... its not THAT good).

Clap Your Hands made it big thanks to Myspace of all things so that should give some idea of what to expect. As in these are both pretty young bands who are made up of music fans playing music the way they like it and not surprisingly appeal to people who feel the same way.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

magpie wrote:

Skin of my yellow etc sounded ok. I just found the studied David Byrne impression a little wearysome.

you would, probably cos you didn't post about them first /heresy

• Advertisement

you would, probably cos you didn't post about them first

Ha ha! Despite what it may seem I'm not one of those "They used to be my favourite band but now everyone else likes them" types. For instance, I still love the Arctic Monkeys.

I'm open to hearing about good new music from any source, which is why boards is normally a good resource.

People I've picked up on from boards recommendations include

RJD2
    Interpol
    LCD Soundsystem etc etc

I haven't got time to read Q / NME / Mojo any more, so recommendations are welcomed. I just won't like all of them :)

Picked up my first copy of NME in over 5 years last week....now I know why I dont read it anymore.

Anyways, if youre looking for some new bands to listen to, have a listen to these guys

The Bridge Gang

They have a few songs hosted on myspace. Unsigned (as far as I know) at the moment and are the darlings of a few mp3 blog sites. Been listening to what little they have hosted and Im quite impressed.

That "London Sky Tonight" song is pretty good alright.

Dogbox used to host one of their singles, Pangs of Guilt/Sarahs Brother, but it seems to be deleted. Here, Ive hosted it on yousendit. Love that pangs of guilt track.

Pangs of Guilt / Sarahs Brother Single

Your transfer cannot be completed. The file has most likely exceeded its allotted bandwidth or has been removed by the original sender or a recipient.

Oops!

Sarah's brother is on the myspace site tho http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=23163196&Mytoken=55089D1C-CCF9-B11A-46B6DA9A4C5D2CAD45994082

Dang, give this link a try so:

FileFactory Mirror

Nice one, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Powerout

Wolf Parade are the ****. Not ****. The ****. There's a difference. Seriously though i love arcade fire and i'd put wolf parade right up alongside them. They're just at different stages of their respective careers and the arcade fire have such an uncommon live show they've just taken off. I think someone said they were annoyed by Wolf Parade being drunk onstage... you're entilted to your opinion on that one but i thought they were loose and free and really rockin. *********************... they don't miss a beat. Amazing show!

Ps anyone here like Black Mountain

Ummm, you listened to the gig?! Did I miss something here?! Can you get it somewhere?! Only got round to listening to the album after the gig was sold out so missed the boat there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Powerout

no you didn't miss anything nevermind ;-)

Advertisement