Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If options on new cars were free....

Options
  • 22-11-2005 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

.... what options would you choose?

What extra toys would you add to your new car if you could do so without paying an arm and a leg for them.

Also, what option would you like to invent to add to your new car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Climate Control, Leather, Heated Seats, Zenon's - I could go on!

I'd like to see more cars with First Aid Kits installed as standard and serviced when the car is serviced.

A luxury would be, Laptop/iPod connectivity in a neat and tidy manner (i.e no cable mess, and stowed out of sight when not needed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Saw on the C4 Motors site that next year BMW will have a thermal imaging device as part of the iDrive system - meant to have very good range.
    :rolleyes: whether mickey take or not it's a cool idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Options I would like:

A button called "HandOfGod". This calls upon your favourite deity to smite those doing 60kph on the long 80kph stretch between the M4 and Enfield. May also be used to clear the outside lane of the M50.

A discreet but immensely powerful rear-facing light to fry the retina of the idiot behind you with his headlights on.

A red light-guided .22 that can take out a fog lamp from 200 metres. This can't be difficult - just focus on the brightest red thing in the vicinity.

I was thinking about a rear facing electronic sign to impart crucial opinions to other motorists. e.g. "Hahhaaaahahahahaha" to anybody in a blinged Micra or "Why?" to anybody in an A3. But someone could use that on me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

thelurcher wrote:
    Saw on the C4 Motors site that next year BMW will have a thermal imaging device as part of the iDrive system - meant to have very good range.
    :rolleyes: whether mickey take or not it's a cool idea :)

A while back, Top Gear mentioned that thermal imaging is going into the new S-class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Real-world options would be: sequential gearbox, Recaros (not a brand whore, they do know how to make a proper car seat), 4 discs, ABS, sunroof, clim-pack, heated front windscreen, heated seats, leather all-around, Bluetooth head unit.

Real-world 'nice but not really needed' options would be: in-car "wifi-anywhere", dash-mounted TFT, cruise control (on a manual box, tried this in a Citroën vanette-type thing, well cool), rear-parking distance-o-meter ("bing --- bing --- bing -- bing-bing-bing-bingbingbing.... Bang! :D ).

Outlandish 'but really needed' options would be: blue-lights-with-impunity (:D), telepathic rear-mounted message board (so I don't have to type the msg to the moron behind while driving), turbo-mode for headlights (whatever 'normal' to 10,000 candlepower) when the oncoming eejit can't understand I'd like him to switch his full beams off, front-mounted metal shrapnel launcher to disable oncoming front fogs unnecessarily switched on, and mega-super-hyper-gigawatt (hidden) loudspeaker to yell at those knobs (they'll recognise themselves) in brand new convertibles that they should enjoy topless motoring all year round, not just a week or two a year when it's 25C or more.

Oh - forgot the *very* obvious one: 100%-reliable speed trap detector. Good job there wasn't one (trap) on the N9 Sunday morning...:D ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Would love leather seats, apart from being more comfortable they are also much easier to clean if you have a young family.

Don't really need Sat-nav as my other half knows it all or at least that's what she keeps telling me. :D

Another thing I would like though is a sound system with a USB port so that I can plug in my mp3 collections via memory sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Options I would like:

A button called "HandOfGod". This calls upon your favourite deity to smite those doing 60kph on the long 80kph stretch between the M4 and Enfield. May also be used to clear the outside lane of the M50.

A discreet but immensely powerful rear-facing light to fry the retina of the idiot behind you with his headlights on.

A red light-guided .22 that can take out a fog lamp from 200 metres. This can't be difficult - just focus on the brightest red thing in the vicinity.

I was thinking about a rear facing electronic sign to impart crucial opinions to other motorists. e.g. "Hahhaaaahahahahaha" to anybody in a blinged Micra or "Why?" to anybody in an A3. But someone could use that on me :)

LOL! I need all those things too :)

Until I read the above I thought the only answer to the question was 'all available options'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

ciarsd wrote:
    A luxury would be, Laptop/iPod connectivity in a neat and tidy manner (i.e no cable mess, and stowed out of sight when not needed!)

Saw something like this on the new lexus IS. It does have cables but the ipod, cables and port are inside the armrest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Lazer guided missles and a couple of machine guns on front and back!! just in case I run into any problems.....also will be usefull for those idiots that persist on leaving on there fog lights on 24X7 365 days a year!! drives me nuts

Also the clowns on the N3 that think because there is abit of room between you and them they can flick on full headlights....example....was on N3 on Friday night....this one pulls out behind me in kells....no problem to me....anyway off up road and she was hardly 3-4 cars lenght behind me and full head lights go on!! thought maybe a mistake so flick on and off fogs a few times...still left on so I slow down till she is right up my arse(she cant spot brake lights even with full headlights) big slam of the brakes from her and next thing lights go off....so I flick fogs once again and speeded up again....hardly half a mile down the road and bang lights on again....so I slow down again and lights go off....speed up.....same process.....at this stage getting very annoyed but turning off N3 in another few miles!! she done this 4-5 times more before I got off road...and yes it was a woman because could see her when we where in traffic in Virginia!! curly balck hair and glasses!! for all the use they where!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Personally, I'd tick the boxes of the following:
    • Leather Seats
    • Heated Seats
    • Electric Seats with Memory
    • Cooling seats
    • Park Distance Control
    • Cruise Control
    • Bi-xenon bendy round the corner lights
    • Sat nav
    • tv
    • Automatic gearbox as good as the DSG
    • Massage drivers seat
    • Heater for the car while it's parked so it can warm up in the morning before I get in to it
    • Laminated windows
    • keyless go
    • quad space climate control

Things I'd like to have but too few people offer it:
    • Instant iPod connectivity
    • automatic boot open and lift
    • 100mpg if it was an option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

mmmmmm twin turbos

That new 1.4L supercharged and turbocharged engine from VW
    168 horsepower :eek:
    “Twincharger” delivers a torque corresponding to a naturally aspirated engine of approximately 2.3 litres. And its fuel consumption is around 20 percent lower.

http://www.gizmag.co.uk/go/4595/

We need a :drool: emoticon for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

AlanD wrote:
    Personally, I'd tick the boxes of the following:
    • Leather Seats
    • Heated Seats
    • Electric Seats with Memory
    • Cooling seats
    • Park Distance Control
    • Cruise Control
    • Bi-xenon bendy round the corner lights
    • Sat nav
    • tv
    • Automatic gearbox as good as the DSG
    • Massage drivers seat
    • Heater for the car while it's parked so it can warm up in the morning before I get in to it
    • Laminated windows
    • keyless go
    • quad space climate control
    Isn't that the spec for the Citroën C6?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'll pass on the leather etc. What I really want for driving on Irish roads is Pothole Early Warning System (PEWS)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

A driver.

BrianD3 wrote:
    I'll pass on the leather etc. What I really want for driving on Irish roads is Pothole Early Warning System (PEWS)

Are they not also known as E.Y.E.S.?

I think it's possible to miss just about every pothole if you scan the road while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

absoloutly not possible i'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Heated steering wheel. Mine was freezing yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

......or buy some gloves? :rolleyes: :D;)

Heated steering wheel. Mine was freezing yesterday morning.

definitely....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Topless woman with every convertible-option.

Advertisement