Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club 3d Geforce 6600 problems

Options
  • 22-11-2005 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I'm having a bit of trouble getting this going on a mates pc. He had an Radeon x700 i think, 32mb anyway, and games were slow and he was getting lockup sometimes. Now that i've installed the 6600 256mb there doesn't seem to be much of an improvement. I've read on Komplett that a 400 or 450 watt PSU is ideal... Would power make that much of a difference to performance?

One othe thing is that his pc has about 20 games taking up an average of 1 gb each, would this affect it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Still looking for help on this.... He's ordered a 525w power supply in the mean time. Will this help in any way? He had a 300 watt supply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Was it an x700 pro? Because the 6600 is not actually much better at all then that card. The x700 comes in a 128mb SE edition and a 256mb pro edition - no such thing as a 32mb x700...you'd want to be going back a long way to a 32mb card....maybe a light version of the Radeon 7000 you're thinking of?

I don't know about the psu, it would depend an awful lot on the make. But if you are experiecing lock ups it could well be over heating. It would make a big difference if this is the case.

Also, the 20 games wouldn't make any differnce, unless:

His hard drive is botched, or, only 20gb :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

yeah, what MobileInfantry said, though i doubt that the psu would make any difference. i run a standard rig with a 6600gt (better than 6600) on a cheap 350w psu and so far so good...

in my case, the 6600gt requires a secondary power source, i.e. there is a molex adaptor on the back of the card - maybe this is the same with the 6600. if you havent supplied the graphics card with the required power it wont run at capacity

make sure you have selected the newly installed card as the default device and update your drivers.

how much RAM do you have?? under 512mb and you will notice big performance drops in your games - irrespective of what card you have.

also try defraging you HDD.

;;;edit;;; you may want to post this in the general computer section - more people look there

Advertisement