Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A motoring rather than motors question

Options
  • 22-11-2005 12:52pm
    Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Apologies for the crudeness of the attached drawing but this "pole/sign" for want of better words has appeared at the side of the road that I commute every day (in south Kilkenny) but I have absolutely no idea what it is/for.

I'd be grateful if someone could tell me as every time I drive past it drives me nuts to figure it out (and then I'm gone past and it's too late to stop and take a picture)

I have my own pet theory - I've only seen this type of pole/sign in one other location - near the Gowran turnoff on the main Kilkenny-Carlow road and it's placed about 100 yards from a spot where the Guards are known to frequent with their detectors - I *thought* it was some kind of distance measurement..? But now I'm not so sure, cause the new pole is placed in the middle of a series of bends......

If it's any help, neither edge (long or short) is paralell to the road - it seems to be twisted/offset (in both cases) and the red top is luminous rather than just plain painted

Anyone got any ideas..?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I've ssen them in Dublin , on the back road to Blanchardstown .

I thought they were someting to do with the gas pipelina as they only appeared after this was laid .

A breather or something ?

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Don't *think* there's a pipeline near were they are but would expect to see more of them if they were breathers....? (could be wrong here....)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

There are a few on the road between Watergrasshill and Glanmire too. I suspect they have something to do with sighting the route for a road/pipeline/whatever. But I have often wondered what they are for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

they were put up directly over where a gas pipeline was laid near me. they probably indicated junctions/major joins in the pipe.

Advertisement