Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Rental a thing of the past??

Options
  • 22-11-2005 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi all,

A couple of friends and I are thinking of buying into a frachise that does 24/7 self service DVD and game rentals. Im sure you've seen them before, it would be like a normal video rental store but just with a load of screens on the walls that dispense your selected film, and you can pay by cc/cash and on a weekly or monthly basis... Its also alot cheaper than the other rental outlets (less than half the price)

Our only concern is that with all the digital TV and Box office, piracy etc these days, is the video rental market a dieing trade? Do many of you still rent your DVD's? I know I just buy mine or order box office, but the company that owns the franchise was showing us some statistics that would say that I am in the minority?

Any opinions much appreciated! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

You've to factor in online DVD Rentals too. There seems to be a lot of competition at the moment. Good for the consumer (finally).

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Whoa - I just had a major case of deja vu...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I still rent quite a few DVDs, though in some cases I end up buying a couple of cheap ones instead of renting the new releases..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

I was reminiscing with my dad last night about the prices of videos in years gone. I remember seeing ET on video about 15 years ago for 100 pounds. Im guessing that equates to about 400 euro in todays money.

The buying culture does seem to have taken over these days as its so cheap compared to what it used to be.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is dying, but not dead.

You have all the same problems as Blockbusters. People not returning DVDs on time, losing them, not paying, etc.

New release rental copies are expensive - typicly €40-50.

Internet and cable view on demand is stealing a lot of the market.

You really need a good location and a means of having a low registration overhead.

You also need to get the appropriate machine, there are various on the market. It needs 24 hr access, yet secure / shelterd enough to survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Hey Kat, did you go ahead with this venture? I would be interested to know it went, I've seen these machines in action in Germany and they're a great idea.

Advertisement