Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

GPS Coverage

Options
  • 22-11-2005 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Since some of ye in this section were wondering what the coverage for the Navteq based maps was like - try out this link:
    http://www.maporama.com/

You'll see the full coverage of the North is finished - and that's what we can expect in the South as early as next year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

thelurcher wrote:
    Since some of ye in this section were wondering what the coverage for the Navteq based maps was like - try out this link:
    http://www.maporama.com/

You'll see the full coverage of the North is finished - and that's what we can expect in the South as early as next year.

According to www.satnav.ie there is 100% coverage for Ireland now, though how detailed they are is hard to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ive got that one aldi sold last week and so far it keps trying to send me via navan to my gf's house

( i live in tullamore shes in ardee )

i looked on my map of irelands roads and tho it seems fairly simular im sure its longer and worse roads

i did chk the settings and reset them to quickest root as before this i was going through dublin and i know that trip is longer

im not giving up on this gps system yet but im getting bored of it as its not showing any roads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

eoin_s wrote:
    According to www.satnav.ie there is 100% coverage for Ireland now, though how detailed they are is hard to know.

That's either a very new database release, a porkie, or an error. Navteq have been claiming 100% coverage of Co. Dublin for some time now, but there are big holes even in areas where they do have "partial detailed" coverage. Most of Blakestown/Whitestown in D15 spring to mind.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

The viamichelin maps for southern ireland work fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

mackerski wrote:
    That's either a very new database release, a porkie, or an error. Navteq have been claiming 100% coverage of Co. Dublin for some time now, but there are big holes even in areas where they do have "partial detailed" coverage. Most of Blakestown/Whitestown in D15 spring to mind.

Dermot

That's what I thought. I have emailed them (seem to be an off-shoot of Merlin Motor group or whatever they are called) and asked them if the database is brand new. For an example, I asked them where the Southbound M50 terminates on the database.

However, I have heard on other sites, or maybe just other threads, that there has been a big improvement very recently in CPS coverage of Ireland, and that there should be a new breed of maps out for Ireland next year. Given that they are not selling the units until the new year could tie in with this.

Either way, I will post up any details I get from them. Fingers crossed.

Eoin

@elexes - Chancing my arm here, but if you do get sick of the Aldi unit let me know - I really only need Dublin coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Navteq maps are the most upto date maps available. They recently (circa Jan 05???) a completed survey of Ireland (they had to because OSI charge so much it was actually cheaper to pay people to drive around!)

I'm using Mobile Navigator 5 around the midlands and it has the best coverage. Destinator was a complete waste once you left Dublin or Cork or a main Nx road.

Just for info if you want to find out how good the coverage is just ask the sales person or get a demo and check the database size for Ireland

On destinator 3 and tomtom 5? it is about 5 Mb Mobile Navigator and Mapopolis are both in or around 115Mb* It is just about the most reliable guide I have found yet to determine how good a map coverage will be.

John

*some programs allow you to cut a map to display just the area you are interested in, MobileNavigator "UK and Ireland" Map is huge about 290Mb if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

So as not to overstress the negatives about the Navteq coverage: I've been using Navte[ch|q] maps of Ireland on my BMW nav system since about 2002, when they were really basic - Dublin inside the M50 and central Belfast. The current DB version I'm on corresponds to BMW's 2005-2 release, which seems to be based on Navteq data from early 2005. As of this relase the basic details are:

* Full ROI road National and Regional Road network for the whole country, even out to places like Belmullet that were missing before. However, major county roads, even where they adjoin areas of detailed coverage, are often missing. Example: Ratoath Road beyond Hollystown is missing.

* Good on-screen representation of built-up areas corresponding to all towns on digitised road network. Earlier releases knew where the towns were but didn't always show them.

* Apparently nationwide overlays of things like parks, railways, rivers and canals.

* Detailed coverage for all of Dublin City and most suburbs, but with telling gaps and failure to stay up to date once outside the M50.

* Detailed coverage for the cities of Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford.

* Detailed coverage of the area bounded by the Ring of Kerry and (nominally) the Wicklow Mountains. Nominally because the known road network dries up south of Laragh.

* Pretty good coverage in NI - Continuous detailed coverage from Belfast out to Antrim, Lough Neagh, Portadown, Hillsborough, Newtownards and Bangor. Detailed coverage of Derry extending to the border and some of the eastern hinterland. We've already seen that all of NI is now detailed, which is very handy.

* Given the elapsed time between surveys, DB release and vendor (BMW and VDO) customisation, reasonably complete details on newer road schemes: The whole M1 apart from Dundalk W bypass, the M50 to Ballinteer, The Kildare Bypass (but not Monastrevin). However, and stupidly, the M50 south of the N81 is not marked as a trunk route - as it sill isn't on the revised coverage apparent from http://www.maporama.com/, which goes as far as Leopardstown. Though Navteq do boast a lot about digitising routes before they are open, I'd expect them to be better at having new schemes added to the DB in advance to allow for the release cycle.

* Poor coverage of new residential schemes. Once again, this is supposed to figure in their revision programme after the initial survey is completed. Let's hope they have more resources for this once the full detailed survey is complete.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

Nice info, Mackerski.

You can get the newest 2006 BMW discs on NavTeq's site now.

POI NavTeq never put roads on their data base until they have physical driven on them. They got a lot of flack for the absence of the M60(?) Toll motorway in the UK on recent maps because of this.

Advertisement