Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheel locks

Options
  • 22-11-2005 1:54pm
    Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I have just bought myself a new motor and i want to keep it as safe as possible, it is alarmed and imobilised but I want to get a wheel lock for it. What is the best one in everybodys opinion.

Oh and I dont keep my keys downstairs.

Cheers,
    TCP/IP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭fletch

I have McGards on mine...they come standard on alot of new cars and are available from Halfords....only bad thing about them bein so popular is that thieves will most likely know how to get them off b4 other brands....
    I think the McGard Ultras have a spinning cover around them making them more difficult to remove

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

sorry mate i was thinking about steering wheel locks not rim locks sorry i should be more precise

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

thanks how can they justify €100 for something that can be taken off with no power tools in 117 seconds god there must be something better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

If you have an immobiliser, you don't need a wheel lock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Steering wheel locks make for a great visible deterrent, an immobiliser is obviously the a better security item. Anything big and yellow stuck on your wheel might do the job, perhaps a banana of sorts.

I forget the model of mine but its pretty decent - will have a look later on and post it. Well worth a few quid even though most of them don't stand up to too much of a battering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Have relyed on a big ass heavy duty chain and padlock for years (just tucks away under the seat when not in use) and locks steering wheel to seat.

Hasn't failed me yet and is a great visable deterant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

i bought the disclok Linky for EUR 99 in halfords blanch and although the site listed above claims 117 seconds id like to see a video, its extremely well made and heavy and im damn sure that trying to take it off would create a hell of a lot of noise and wouldn't be worth the hassle, i also have an alarm and immobiliser but the extra peace of mind is worth it, the same lock was EUr 139 in argos so good price for once from halfords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

If you have an immobiliser, the people who would be deterred by a steering wheel lock are simply not going to be able to steal your car. If you think the steering wheel lock is going to keep them from breaking in to try, then it might be worth having. But an LED on the dash, a sticker on the window or a 00+ reg would probably be just as effective.

Advertisement