Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lower

Options
  • 22-11-2005 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

right ive had my car lowered got it done over a year ago and never had any probloms with it reely . but sat night i had some friends in the back and i did see that my rear arch was very close to the wheel .( heavy bastards ) and there was a bit of rubbing

i cant rember this happening to me in the past . could the new springs be giving way ? how could i check this and if indeed they are whats the best solution to the problom ?

cars a 04 5dr focus on 17"'s

Comments

You got the focus lowered and you put 17" wheels on it.

I think thats your problem.

To clairify, focii come with 15s as standard. By lowering it you are doing away with a bit of clearance.

What size are the tyres?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

as the previous two posters have mentioned, is the rolling radius of your 17" tyres the same as the 15"s?
    Irrelevant in this case but iIs the width the same or did you go for a wider rim/tyre package?
    Lowering the car on top of this will reduce the clearance left for when you go over bumps. What did you replace in the suspension when you lowered it - springs and shocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Im taking a wild guess but i think your problem is you just lowered it on springs and kept your standard shocks.In which case if your starting to get rubbing now your shocks are more than likely on the way out.

Ive seen many a focus lowered 40mm on 17's with no problems so mu guess is the springs have taken there toll on the shocks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

id just have to dubble chk the details on the wheels to be sure.

but lowered it 30mm and yes i didnt have the shocks replaced

• Advertisement

elexes wrote:

but lowered it 30mm and yes i didnt have the shocks replaced

Did you fit bump stops by any chance?Could also be your shock bottoming out.

Either ways lowering springs arent designed to work with standard shocks and vice versa,your better off looking for a set of shocks that match your spring brand because it'l just keep happening on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Your friends are just too fat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Mine is lowered and ramps scrape it sometimes

eireal wrote:
    Did you fit bump stops by any chance?Could also be your shock bottoming out.

Either ways lowering springs arent designed to work with standard shocks and vice versa,your better off looking for a set of shocks that match your spring brand because it'l just keep happening on you.

tbh i let the pro's fix my car because i dont wana break it myself... + i can never figure out where all the screws come from when i take a computer apart .

ill go back to the guy that done it for me and ask him about it see if hes got any suggestion .

yep i did say they were to fat.

i dont have many problom's with scraping only one involving a speed ramp that wasnt round but was square so there was a big drop .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

elexes wrote:
    tbh i let the pro's fix my car because i dont wana break it myself...
    tbh, doesn't strike me as a pro if he didn't advise you of the problem when doing the job!

• Advertisement

True,a pro so to speak would have advised against lowering with springs only

What brand of springs are they?

i know a guy that owns and opperats his own crash repair service and asked him would he put on springs / shocks if i bought them . naturally he agreed so what type should i be going for ?

If possible a set of Koni shocks with matching springs.There should be loads of other options available for a focus but Konis are quality.Expect to pay 650ish for a set of springs and damper adjustable shocks

Steer clear of cobra and gmax springs aswell as any "coilover springs" on ebay

Advertisement