Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy?

Options
  • 22-11-2005 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Im finding it hard to source some of the materials I need for a little project Im working on. Any ideas where I might buy the following in Dublin?

Plexiglass sheet . Thick clear plastic
    Stainless steel chain (thin)
    Aquarium Sealant
    Corks.
    Small piece of thin slate.

Also, how do a trim slate to a certain size with out breaking it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Can I safely bend Plexiglass using an oven? I've heard you can do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Using a blow torch and a straight edge I think it is quite easy.
    take your time and practise on scrap first to judge the heat you need..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Shelli wrote:
    Im finding it hard to source some of the materials I need for a little project Im working on. Any ideas where I might buy the following in Dublin?

Plexiglass sheet . Thick clear plastic
    Stainless steel chain (thin)
    Aquarium Sealant
    Corks.
    Small piece of thin slate.

Also, how do a trim slate to a certain size with out breaking it?

Hi Shelli,

Try www.accessplastics.com they are in St. Margarets County Dublin (beside the Airport).

Aquarium Sealant, try Hilti Ireland Dublin Industrial Industrial Estate Glasnevin, D 11, you must be able to tell them exactly which products you are bonding.

Small piece of thin slate, how small and how thin ?

You trim a slate to thickness by cleaving it, even with a life times experience it's not easy to do, to trim a slate to size (length x width) I use a Slaters Knife and Stake or a guillotine, or you could try a small angle grinder.

Sorry, chains and corks are not in my job description :)

I hope the above is of some help.

Thanks guys, problem with those big stores, esp for the plexiglass, is that I only need a small rectangle, about 12"x8", the same with the tile.

Any suggestions?

It might make it easier if I told you what I'm "trying" to make, it's a suspended basking platform for my turtles tank. I want to hang the plexiglass down into the tank with the stainless steel chain, the lip will be bent down into a kind of ramp, covered in cork for grip, the slate will cover the basking area where a heat lamp will shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Get one of those plastic chopping boards, cut to size and suspend it at an angle , 30 degrees should be fine.
    Let one end be in the water and the other out.
    the rough surface should afford grip in such a small slope.
    If you wanted you could rough it up some more.

• Advertisement

Great Idea! Ill try that, thanks!

Advertisement