Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearewire and Bittorrent

• 22-11-2005 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Does anyone know if they throttle BT bandwidth - my downloads are dire! less than 4k at best of times...
    Then on Saturday for one glorious hour a file I had been downloading for hours at 4k suddenly went insane and hit 70k!
    If they are throttling was this just that they had taken off the brake for a while, or is it something wrong with my set up? I have used many different clients and many different settings, I have used it via router and directly plugged in to the PC - and nothing makes a difference.
    Any comments will be welcomed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Hi i have the same situation with limewire and bittorrent..
    there must be some sort of throttling system in place.
    I asked them about it on the phone once and they said there was no throttling...

I got an off topic question actually...
    Them clearwire plugs which you can buy for 65 euro which allow you to put the receiver in another room in the house and send the signal through the electrical mains.....

Is it effective? What would it be like for VOIP ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I really wouldnt use one of those plug yokes. Wireless router much better.
    I used one once out of curiosity with my old dial-up which was at 48k...when piping it thru the electrical wires it dropped to 24k. (I had one lying around which I used with my sky box to avoid running a wire to it when I got sky+)

Wireless Router is definitely the way to go and as cheap almost.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi,

For your bit torrent qestion + limewire question, its quite possible Clearwire are blocking port 6881 (Universal P2P Port), now you can over come this in bit torrent, by opening your routers settings page and opening a random port in it lets say 40000 (www.portforward.com will help ;)) but your limewire prob will be still there, btw, obviously in your bit torrent program in the settings you use the newly opened port eg 40000,

Good luck,

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

Opiate8 wrote:
    Does anyone know if they throttle BT bandwidth - my downloads are dire! less than 4k at best of times...
    Then on Saturday for one glorious hour a file I had been downloading for hours at 4k suddenly went insane and hit 70k!
    If they are throttling was this just that they had taken off the brake for a while, or is it something wrong with my set up? I have used many different clients and many different settings, I have used it via router and directly plugged in to the PC - and nothing makes a difference.
    Any comments will be welcomed.

Are you getting a green light? If you are firewalled speeds won't be as good as you can't accept incoming connections but occasionly it may spike. Mine behaved like this for months until I realised the implications of being firewalled and opened the requisite ports which made a world of difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Opiate8

Green lights all the way - ports open, lots of connnections to seeders and leechers, just not pigging downloading! Well some but not enough to make me smile!

• Advertisement
Advertisement