Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ComReg publishes consultation responses

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I was rude to them so they binned mine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I was rude to them so they binned mine :D
    Tough luck – the contributions of IOFFL (amidst the commercial stake holders' responses, at pages 13-20) and those of Martin Harran, Garreth Pelly, Matthew Taaffe and myself are at the end under individual responses (page 50 - 58) – they are all in this document: http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/Pagesfrom91-149.pdf

I really liked Gareth's to-the-point response.

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

The eircom one is full of useful nuggets actually.

ahhhhh , but I was AWFUL rude to them :D , did that Ken Shabby fella say anything at all to them ?

Eircom, a company that has reduced capex year on year since about 1997 has the cheek to bang on and on about 'investment' and their latest buzzword to confuzzle Comreg and set Comreg off on an useless tangent , namely the 'ladder of investment' . They must mention investment about 60 times :(

Expect Comreg to start using the phrase 'ladder of investment' shortly just like they nicked this 80% BB coverage line from Eircom and made it their own .

Dopes, and thats me being nice now y'áll y'hear

All who replied to the consultation were published on the site. Some bits were blocked out in case certain groups found reason to take a libel case. It'd be great if one of these days all who readily offer their opinions here would actually send an email to ComReg when they ask for an opinion.

They don't ask that often and as can be seen they have to put the opinions online. So they can't say they weren't aware of a situation if someone responds to a consultation and points something out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Or put another way, if you dont respond to consultations don't be suprised if they don't do what you want.

Its a bit like people complaining about the election but don't vote.

Certainly responding doesn't mean they'll listen, but at the same time they publish the responses, so if 200 people responded all saying X and they do Y at least it raises some serious questions.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Eircom, a company that has reduced capex year on year since about 1997 has the cheek to bang on and on about 'investment'
    One telling example: David Francis McRedmond has only recently told the Sunday Times that in the last two years of Eircom's investment into broadband 42 million euros went into broadband advertising and promotion. Not a lot left for real roll-out efforts of broadband. In the context of a regulated company this is known as 'gold plating', a method to cheat the regulatory efforts: In the books the sum appears as cost for broadband development, when in reality it is spent for branding – further stifling competitors.
    P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

damien.m wrote:
    The eircom one is full of useful nuggets actually.
    You bet it is...

You would think IrelandOffline would be aware of the following situation which is about to occur in Ireland within the next 6 weeks:

"The Broadband revolution is truly under way; by end-2005 all of Ireland will be broadband enabled..."

Page 9, eircom response

And there was us doubting eircom all along...

viking wrote:
    by end-2005 all of Ireland will be broadband enabled..."

They mean that they will fix that One Way Satellite problem by end 2005

Sponge Bob wrote:
    They mean that they will fix that One Way Satellite problem by end 2005
    Ah of course, I'd forgotten that was broken...

• Advertisement

So the line should really have read:

"The Broadband revolution is truly under way; by end-2005 all of Ireland will be broadband enabled again..."

Way to give away the secret preparations for the big end of IrelandOffline party. With broadband for all by the end of year it is retirement time for us all.

viking wrote:
    by end-2005 all of Ireland will be broadband enabled again..."

Precisely. Comreg will be so happy.

They have very high standards as we all know and fully understand the meaning and implications of 100% Coverage .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's somewhat strange to see my erm... attempt at a consultation response mentioned among the large-scale companies and Irelandoffline etc. I was a bit rushed writing it to say the least as I only found out about it the evening of the deadline and I didn't think it through at all. But I suppose I tried highlighting some issues.

While I know I'm being cynical, ComReg have been alerted to many of these issues before. They obviously didn't listen then so why would they listen now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

viking wrote:
    You bet it is...

You would think IrelandOffline would be aware of the following situation which is about to occur in Ireland within the next 6 weeks:

"The Broadband revolution is truly under way; by end-2005 all of Ireland will be broadband enabled..."

Page 9, eircom response

and there was me getting all excited at the thought of sitting at home in Graignamanagh on 1st Jan, 2006, happily sending photos of the previous nights drunken debauchery to family and friends, via the towns newly BB enabled exchange. Ah well. "Roll on 2007"

Advertisement