Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J#,C# and Java

Options
  • 22-11-2005 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I have used C++ more than any other programming language and recently I have got the urge to update my skill set, so I went and took a look at c#. And maybe I am wrong but does it seem that c# is very much like Java? And is J#, JAVA that you can use in the .net enviroment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yeah to both answers. Dunno if J# is endorsed by Sun though - I doubt it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

TowerMan wrote:
    I have used C++ more than any other programming language and recently I have got the urge to update my skill set, so I went and took a look at c#. And maybe I am wrong but does it seem that c# is very much like Java? And is J#, JAVA that you can use in the .net enviroment?

Yes.

C# is effectively Microsoft's version of Java. There are all sorts of explanations, but one of the most common is that when microsoft were sue'd by Sun for making unlicenced extensions to Java a few years back. MS completely puled their Java support and Dev effort and changed tack to make their own Rival language (c#) and environment (.Net). Partially to get at sun and their language, but also to cash in on the growing marketplace fro J2EE systems.

So the whole .Net thing is a direct competitor to J2EE.

The different languages in .Net (C#, Visual Basic for .Net, Managed C++, J#) etc... all compile down into the same run time interpreted language that the .Net runtime understands, they just allow programmers from different background to work with .Net without having to re-train much.

If you're thinking of getting into .Net, I'd recommend looking at managed C++ first, to get familiar with .Net, and then move onto C#.

Advertisement