Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Scarves

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

The Judge won't let me have a scarf...

Damn Judges... ruining my fun....

mutter, mutter, mutter....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Look, it was funny the first time you attempted to strangle me with your scarf boneless, we all had a good laugh at your crazy antics, ha ha, giggle giggle...

...But after I blacked out, went into a coma, and woke up 3 months later with moderate brain-damage the Law wasn't laughin' any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

moderate?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

anybody want to give me their scarf? it'll be really useful as aweapon [see above] or to keep out the cold.... also to show some UCD pride!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Piece of crap! Strike the fully functioning remark from my last pro-scarf post. It's started to unravel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

lol yeah waltons. Same with mine.

Was working at the top of grafton street showing off the xbox360 on saturday and some folks from UCD started talkin to me as they saw me scarf. Was sorta funny :p (well it would have been if my knees hadnt died of pain after the long stand in the cold ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

The scarf would be good, in theory, if it didn't unravel to crap after a while. I haven't had any random enounters because of it though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

B-K-DzR wrote:
    lol yeah waltons. Same with mine.

Was working at the top of grafton street showing off the xbox360 on saturday and some folks from UCD started talkin to me as they saw me scarf. Was sorta funny :p (well it would have been if my knees hadnt died of pain after the long stand in the cold ).

Should have wrapped it around your knees, then... trust me I'm (sort of) a doctor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I still havent seen these scarves?i'm with this peachypants on this one-pennys scarves rock! I was reading the evening herald the other day (i know ,i know not exactly shapkspeare) but anyways they take pics of poeple and ask them what was their last purchase was they brought.The girl on friday was a third year b+l student in ucd and she had just brought a louis vuitton bag in brown Thomas cos as she said'i can keep my laptop for college in it and I have room for makeup' too!Did anyone else see this?Those louis vuitton bags cost squillions of euros?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭**elaine**

panda100 wrote:
    I still havent seen these scarves?i'm with this peachypants on this one-pennys scarves rock! I was reading the evening herald the other day (i know ,i know not exactly shapkspeare) but anyways they take pics of poeple and ask them what was their last purchase was they brought.The girl on friday was a third year b+l student in ucd and she had just brought a louis vuitton bag in brown Thomas cos as she said'i can keep my laptop for college in it and I have room for makeup' too!Did anyone else see this?Those louis vuitton bags cost squillions of euros?!
    Yeah I read it, was it not in the Sunday Independent?
    Bit crazy if you ask me, if she is just going to use it for her laptop!
    oohh and her makeup :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Why the hell do you care how she spends her money?
    Maybe its nothing to her.

ah let them bitch. It makes folks feel better :)

Sangre wrote:
    Maybe its nothing to her.

Maybe the thousand euro did mean nothing to her.But it sure would have meant a lot to the homeless people who will perish on our streets this christmas,or those kids in temple street hospital who wont have a christmas this year because there isnt enough money to buy a fourth dialysis machine.It's a disgrace someone her age spending that much money on a bag just to look good for college.If that sort of vanity and shellfishness can be instilled into a student that young then I hate to fear what she'l be like in thirty years time.
    this girl was only 19 and we see this sort of extravagance around ucd everyday-girls wearing designer clothes and spending ridiculous amounts to look the best.I saw this in the fashion show when at least five models got hair extensions put in especially for the show-hair extensions cost about 500 euro!!It just shows how superficial our society escpecially in ucd has become,which is sad.Do these people not know that looks will fade but your sense of charity and willing to do good for others will not and will shine through when your old and grey.

And how do you know she hadn't already given to charity? How do you know she doesn't do voluntary work?
    Who the hell are you to judge her?

I'm not judging her specifically.I am talking about her 'type' generally.Come on,I'm not going to get into an argument about whether she in particular does charity work or not.It's pretty obvious that a 19 year old who spends a thousand euro on a bag doesnt cry herslf to sleep every night about the street children of calcuuta or other more important matters if she spends this ridiculous amount of money on a bag for looking good for college.

Who the hell cries themselves to sleep?
    Stop judging people panda100 its very unbecoming of you

I know ok i did judge a bit there-sorry to girl in paper.But sangre do you not see something wrong in her spending this amount on such a superficial and dispensible item such as a handbag.I just think its sad that someone feels the need to spend these large sums of money to look good.Surely it is better to feel good and i can't see how having the latest gucci bag will make you feel good.

I live on the street overlooking the leinster grounds and I see young girls going to old wesley every week.I see them showing off their latest mac makeup and armani skirts at the end of our road .Then i see them later throwing up all over their new skirts and the next day we are left with an abundace of torn skirts ,tights and the likes down our road.I can only think that this would be different if these people had better values of what feeling good is all about.This generation is the next one of the post celtic tiger affulent generation and we can already see them seeping into ucd.I think what they view as making them happy such as buying their gucci bags and hair extensions is a superficial outlook on life and will only bring unhappiness to that person in the end.And your lying sangre if you say you dont know any peple around ucd who puts a lot of money,time and effort into their apperance and trying to look the bast-surely you've been to bondi beach before and seen this?

It's sad so many of the teenagers in donneybrook where i live think a good day out is in the dundrum shopping centre,particularly when they have the beautiful river dodder right beside them but no they would prefer to see the artifical fountain in dundrum!

panda100 wrote:
    .And your lying sangre if you say you dont know any peple around ucd who puts a lot of money,time and effort into their apperance and trying to look the bast-surely you've been to bondi beach before and seen this?

I'd never say such a ridiculous thing. People should try to look and feel good about their appearance. But I would never presuppose that such a person who did this was somehow and bad person and that I was a better person then them because I 'cared' about 'real people', which is exactly what you were doing.

There is no point in saying how could you spent xxxx on a bag when there is always someone who could say the same thing about your bag.

Tbh panda, I'd rather live in a post Celtic Tiger world than the 80s where college was only a step towards emmigration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Who the hell are you to judge her?
    Who the hell cries themselves to sleep?

We get the general theme of your posts, chillax a bit would you she was making a valid point.
    particularly when they have the beautiful river dodder right beside them

didnt look so beautiful last time I was puking into it! It stinks of a disease.

We get the general theme of your posts, chillax a bit would you she was making a valid point.

didnt look so beautiful last time I was puking into it! It stinks of a disease.

Ah the dodder has its day though-looks particularly good at night though when you cant see it.I dunno maybe i am being stereotypical and judgemetal but we can see from the D4 thread that these people exist.And considering 1 in 3 of us will suffer from depressiona at one stage and the biggest cause eo death in paople our age is suicide,its not hard to see why when you see what a superficial,money mad society we are growing up in.

p.s sorry really have gone of the point of the thread-ooops!Scarves rock!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭john^doyle

its their own money to spend, let them do what they ****ing well like with it - it doesnt affect me in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I say live and let live,
    I think its very easy to condemn those people who, at least from our perspective, spend excessive amounts of money on things of purely aesthetic value as being shallow and image obsessed but if they're happy who are they harming. Whose more guilty, the person who buys the overly expensive accessories or the person who judges them as shallow and unpleasant people simple for spending their money on these things. I think while it’s undeniably admirable to be compassionate toward those who are less fortunate it’s a lot more difficult show understanding toward those you don’t agree with who aren’t. Don’t mean to sound harsh, I just believe that we should try to live the way we each think we should and try not to judge others for living the way they do, within reason!

nicely said humbert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pilson

Load of waffle.
    Its her ****in money let her spend it how she wishes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Frank_einstein

Im not shure if i'm missing the point here but I think it's admirable that many of the UCD4 stereotypes spend the time and money making themselves look beautiful each morning.
    Hot or Not? I'll stick with hot...

Im not shure if i'm missing the point here but I think it's admirable that many of the UCD4 stereotypes spend the time and money making themselves look beautiful each morning.
    Hot or Not? I'll stick with hot...

I Know everyone is different but i find it difficult to understand how anyone can think that d4's getting all dressed up for college every day is an 'admirable' quality.To me someone who spends an hour in the morning or evening teaching to underprivileged kids is an admirable quality not getting all tarted up for the lads in college.

Am hearing you humbert-i know i sound judgmental and it is easy to slag off these types of rich kids.But really I am trying to help them-they have to realise that money and such superficial goods dont a happy life make.Read any biography of any pop star/millionare/lottery winner and they will all agree that money doesnt make u happy.So its fine for you all to say that if buying a thousand euro bag every week makes this girl happy then thats grand for her.I am trying to help her by saying that buying something for this much money and just to look good does not make you truley happy-its the simple things that will. Ok this has gone off the point a bit-i'm always going off on tangents-so sorry bout that.

they have to realise that money and such superficial goods dont a happy life make
    My opinion would tend to agree with you but it might make people happier in themselves and thats all that counts. Not what you or i think.
    Judging them imo does not help yourself to feel happied either :o

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Judging them imo does not help yourself to feel happied either :o

True-you are wise beyond your years bk!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I’ve no doubt about what you say about their biographies, but I feel that it’s being handed everything you could wish for on a plate that leaves life a little empty, its trying to achieve our hopes and dreams that motivates us. I do agree with you about the simple things, but not everyone is inclined to appreciate these things, also some of the “simple things” can be remarkably elusive. I’m sure that girl and others like her aren’t looking for “true happiness” by buying expensive whatnots but then and there being the height of fashion and the centre of attention probably brightens up their day(I’m not advocating this but each to their own). As for helping them, I’m sure its good intentioned but not everyone wants to be helped and some people will take offence believing that you’re implying you know better than them, which I know isn’t your intention!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 thecheekofyou

http://www.netsoc.tcd.ie/~peterh/scarves/UCD/

Just to bring this thread back on course...

Advertisement