Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom speed increases on the way download and upload speed increase

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

are you sure the 'guaranteed' upload on a RA is that high, the download is guaranteed as 256k on all RA products .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I also saw mentioned somewhere on boards a rumour that eircoms new speeds also have no interleaving, someone managed to get a 9ms ping to an irish address, hope this holds true , if it is we should see around 20-25 ms pings to uk servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

lynchie wrote:
    So when those with the 512Kb who are doing a lot of uploading, they can limit the speed on their end without telling you and claim that ur upload speed is rate adaptive and they only guarantee 128Kb upload :)
    lol yeah :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Gonzo wrote:
    I also saw mentioned somewhere on boards a rumour that eircoms new speeds also have no interleaving, someone managed to get a 9ms ping to an irish address, hope this holds true , if it is we should see around 20-25 ms pings to uk servers.
    hmm would this not screw up any connections that already had to use interleaving due to distance from exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sponge Bob wrote:
    are you sure the 'guaranteed' upload on a RA is that high, the download is guaranteed as 256k on all RA products .
    I think I read somewhere that the guaranteed upload is only 64k on RA. Could be completely wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

3072 down / 384 up
    tracert www.boards.ie

Tracing route to www.boards.ie [82.195.136.250]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 10 ms 12 ms 9 ms b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.155.27]
    3 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 83.71.112.161
    4 11 ms 11 ms 12 ms atm4-0-39.peering1.inex.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.191.126]
    5 13 ms 12 ms 12 ms panama-inex.hosting365.ie [193.242.111.87]
    6 13 ms 14 ms 14 ms corerouter1.hosting365.ie [82.195.128.7]
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.136.250] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 82.195.136.250:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 14ms
    C:\>ping www.jolt.co.uk

Pinging www.jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 82.133.85.65:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 21ms, Average = 20ms
    tracert www.jolt.co.uk

Tracing route to www.jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.155.27]
    3 8 ms 9 ms 9 ms 83.71.112.161
    4 20 ms 20 ms 21 ms pos0-0.corea.thn.london.eircom.net [159.134.191.234]
    5 21 ms 19 ms 19 ms lon1-9.nildram.net [195.66.224.59]
    6 22 ms 19 ms 22 ms jolt-gw.nildram.net [195.149.20.214]
    7 21 ms 19 ms 19 ms 82.133.85.65

Trace complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

ro2 wrote:
    3072 down / 384 up

Very impressive pings. I sure hope they leave the interleaving off when they upgrade the rest of the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

They are some lovely pings can't wait to get that upgrade :D Now back to playing wow.........must not sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Do you think Eircom, Esat or UTV will increase their download/upload caps to go along with these new speeds any time soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I would assume so.

20GB for starter and 40GB for plus packages mabye, though these are pure guesses!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

jez i'll be gutted if those pings arent introduced fully onto the eircom network, those pings are sweet, as good as anything in the uk

• Advertisement

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/dynamic/pdf/bitpricelistv2.8.pdf

Promotions just announced starting 1st Feb .

Only certain exchanges from 'a list' qualify

Line testing to include recently ceased number for 2 months afeter the cease so you can test against your OLD number if you rent a gaff. Goody gumshoes

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SqUEE

do those pdfs make any sense to anyone? im guessing theyre changing the names of all the packages and eircom home plus will be called Swift IP and will cost 25.

No. Eircom retail will mark the prices up and add VAT and maybe call them something else and sell that to you .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

The names in the PDF are wholesale bitstream product names (which have been used for a while), not retail "Home Starter"-type names, so it doesn't mean there'll definitely be any name changes.

Those of us on eircom BB Enhanced should expect a small price drop (as well as a speed upgrade), if I read it correctly. The new wholesale price (ex VAT) is 15 quid less.

There is a new basic product coming on board for wholesale 13.23 ex VAT per month, which should see a base (non-timed) entry product with a 20-25 price tag, one would imagine.

The one thing I can't figure from the PDF is whether those old prices are the promotional prices that are currently running. If they are the promotional prices then the Broadband Timed product seems a bit tight margin wise (12.55 + VAT = 15.19/mo.. giving a margin of 4.80 or 24% which isn't a whole lot when you consider the ancillary costs. Having said that, if they are promo prices then the current timed product should retail at 13.45ish, if it follows the same margin, although that number looks like it'll be bumped up to at least 15 quid. (math.. 12.55/19.99 = 0.628 .. 8.55/x = 0.628 .. x=13.46)... but that's not including any fixed price, it's all relative (which isn't realistic).

So: small price reductions, significant upload speed increases, some download speed increases, new cheaper entry-level always-on, cheaper timed, minimum contract reduced to 1 month (with an exit fee, but that's realistic, although it does seem high).

.cg

cgarvey wrote:

There is a new basic product coming on board for wholesale 13.23 ex VAT per month, which should see a base (non-timed) entry product with a 20-25 price tag, one would imagine.

Correct, an entry level 1mbit product will be intoduced from 1st Feb (effectively) coming in below the current 1mbit product which becomes a 2 mbit. The inference here is that the reach MAY be extended for DSL from Bitstream DSLAMs because we kinda know now that they can get 2mbits to 4.5km do we not ?????
    The one thing I can't figure from the PDF is whether those old prices are the promotional prices that are currently running. If they are the promotional prices then the Broadband Timed product seems a bit tight margin wise (12.55 + VAT = 15.19/mo.. giving a margin of 4.80 or 24% which isn't a whole lot when you consider the ancillary costs. Having said that, if they are promo prices then the current timed product should retail at 13.45ish, if it follows the same margin, although that number looks like it'll be bumped up to at least 15 quid. (math.. 12.55/19.99 = 0.628 .. 8.55/x = 0.628 .. x=13.46)... but that's not including any fixed price, it's all relative (which isn't realistic).

No. the free connect promotions are gone .

Promotional discounts are now paid after 9 months. The promotions going forward are on the lines of 10-15% discount off list for n months. Promotion discounts of 10%-15% off list price n apply to designated exchanges only . That list is not published and may indeed vary from month to month because Eircom will incentivise connections to exchanges where they have few customer and will not incentivise connections to exchanges where they have 'enough' or where the load is making the copper wheeze :D
    So: small price reductions, significant upload speed increases, some download speed increases, new cheaper entry-level always-on, cheaper timed, minimum contract reduced to 1 month (with an exit fee, but that's realistic, although it does seem high).
    The introduction of an always on 1mbit package which can constantly be priced retail at €25 even with no discount period and with a significant chance that the reach can be extended beyond 4.5km for this product ....maybe as far as 6km .....is good news for those in peripheral 4.5km + dial up land .

I get the impression that the reach extension and selective discounting by exchange is designed to fine tune their ability to compete where the wireless and/or cable operators may be eating their lunch :cool:

If eircom have nothing beyond 4.5km then they simply lose customers, this is kinda what happened in the Knocknacarra suburb in Galway where NTL cleaned up and eircom suddenly lost scads of line rentals (never mind the value add on top) because they were not offering DSL out there .

Has nobody noticed that €25 is exactly what NTL and Chorus are charging for 1mbit Cable ??????

This is the beginning of selective incentivisation rather than blanket incentivisation. The only problem now is that the winback ****s will be infesting these areas :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sponge Bob wrote:
    If eircom have nothing beyond 4.5km then they simply lose customers, this is kinda what happened in the Knocknacarra suburb in Galway where NTL cleaned up and eircom suddenly lost scads of line rentals (never mind the value add on top) because they were not offering DSL out there .

Yes, I believe this is partly the reason, I believe it is also designed to specifically damage BT's ability to compete. I believe BT's €40 BB + Line Rental packages were partly possible because of the promotional discount, without this discount across the board, BT will find it much harder to offer a package that undercuts Eircom so drastically (€15 per month at the moment).

This just goes to show how important LLU is along with cable and wireless BB. Without these we don't have real competition and Eircom can use it's monoply position to control and cripple the bitstream operators.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    No. the free connect promotions are gone .
    , so do the "old" prices in the PDF include discounts or not?!!
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    The introduction of an always on 1mbit package which can constantly be priced retail at €25

Well .. using ComReg's "Retail minus wholesale" calculations (which came into effect today), in reverse we get

WS = Retail * ( 1 - FP ) - FV
    8.55 = R * ( 1 - .3 ) - 3.7
    12.25 = R * .7
    17.92 + VAT = Eur 21.69

.. the ComReg Doc makes no reference to VAT, so I can only assume that the prices are ex-VAT, and if they are, it seems to rule out a 19.99 entry product (without promotion).
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    I get the impression that the reach extension and selective discounting by exchange is designed to fine tune their ability to compete where the wireless and/or cable operators may be eating their lunch :cool:
    My God, someone more cynical than me?? I had got the impression from the wholesale doc that it was to encourage the takeup in rural exchanges (as it mentioned it was a rural promotion).. but, you're right, that could easily be turned into what you describe.

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

cgarvey wrote:

Well .. using ComReg's "Retail minus wholesale" calculations (which came into effect today), in reverse we get

WS = Retail * ( 1 - FP ) - FV
    8.55 = R * ( 1 - .3 ) - 3.7
    12.25 = R * .7
    17.92 + VAT = Eur 21.69

.. the ComReg Doc makes no reference to VAT, so I can only assume that the prices are ex-VAT, and if they are, it seems to rule out a 19.99 entry product (without promotion).
    .cg

Good reverse calculating here...
    € 21.69 should be Eircom's retail price, but other operators can well undercut this by operating on a smaller margin than the margin Comreg applies for the incumbent in its (unchanged) decision note of today.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

cgarvey wrote:
    I had got the impression from the wholesale doc that it was to encourage the takeup in rural exchanges (as it mentioned it was a rural promotion).. but, you're right, that could easily be turned into what you describe.

If that's their intention they wouldn't have called it a rural promotion, as their strongest competition is in the cities. For some reason they seem more interested in doing promotions in areas where they have little competition. Perhaps the uptake is disappointing in rural areas, no doubt because of lower housing densities and a higher percentage of lines failing the test.

The priority in the cities for eircom should be to get ADSL2+ equipment into the exchanges, so they can meet the tougher competition in the speed stakes that are bound to unfold this year, if even a quarter of the NTL rumours turn out to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Blaster99 wrote:
    The priority in the cities for eircom should be to get ADSL2+ equipment into the exchanges, so they can meet the tougher competition in the speed stakes that are bound to unfold this year, if even a quarter of the NTL rumours turn out to be true.
    That should not be a big deal, considering that much of their equipment seems to be ADSL2+ capable already. I would expect that Eircom are ahead of the game in that regard. They can see the danger NTL will pose imminently with cheap 9 or 10 mbit connections and with Smart and Magnet slowly increasing their ADSL2+ service areas. Eircom are going to face serious problems when they push their speeds up to and beyond 8 mbits though. Only fibre will save Eircom then.

I'm very interested to see the price Eircom will charge for their new basic service as it could attract thousands and thousands more to ADSL. Once the price is low enough, of course.

The 1 month contract is also a fortuituous move. Only today I advised a friend who was going to get Ripwave because of the small/no? contract term to hold off because Eircom will have a 1 month contract in place by February.

• Advertisement

cgarvey wrote:
    I had got the impression from the wholesale doc that it was to encourage the takeup in rural exchanges (as it mentioned it was a rural promotion)

Is it ****!

One rural exchange in Galway about to be enabled c.March will have a 70% line failure rate because of crap eircom wiring and pairgaining early and often . The way to encourage rural BB takeup would be to give these country people a line not to bring in a meaningless discount !!!!!

As the pairgains leave them stuck on 12-16k dialup the profits are enormous on per minute products.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    As the pairgains leave them stuck on 12-16k dialup the profits are enormous on per minute products.
    According to Minister Dempsey and according to ComReg Commissioner Byrne's letter to the Oireachtas Committee they have dealt with that and successfully introduced "affordable, retail flat-rate dial-up", as the March 2003 DCMNR directive had demanded.

P.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    The way to encourage rural BB takeup would be to give these country people a line not to bring in a meaningless discount !!!!!

Defo... IMO the way to encourage rural BB takeup is to enforce a rule that if you can't get BB on your expensive phone line, you get full unlimited dialup (I didn't use the correct term of Flat Rate in case ComReg or DCMNR are reading) until your line can support BB. The ONLY reason for this to be opposed is pure profit on the dialup minutes.. The cost of modem concentrators may be an issue, but those costs are small compared to DSLAMs, and the like. They also should have lots of that gear left over from the move from dialup to BB in urban areas!

That removes the incentive, and then I believe we'll see a shift in attitude.

cgarvey wrote:
    Defo... IMO the way to encourage rural BB takeup is to enforce a rule that if you can't get BB on your expensive phone line, you get full unlimited dialup (I didn't use the correct term of Flat Rate in case ComReg or DCMNR are reading) until your line can support BB.
    I Agree wholeheartedly. As eircom maintain that over 90% can get BB this special discount only applies to the other 10% ,naturally, and has a small regulatory impact.
    The ONLY reason for this to be opposed is pure profit on the dialup minutes.. The cost of modem concentrators may be an issue, but those costs are small compared to DSLAMs, and the like. They also should have lots of that gear left over from the move from dialup to BB in urban areas!
    Yes. FRIACO gear is 3 years old and has been written off to a considerable degree on the books already. This reduces the cost of a 'new' always on FRIACO package

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I Agree wholeheartedly.
    This should be the response of gov to eircom's demand that gov helps to bring broadband to the "last 10 pc of population". It's a simple, fair and effective way to bring about exactly that. Who is going to bring the suggestion to DCMNR and ComReg?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I woke up to this increase this morning.
    I was expecting a bit better on the download. :o

Downstream 2522 Kbps (315.3 KB/sec) 2723 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 319 Kbps (39.9 KB/sec) 344 Kbps (inc. overheads)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Mebbe im nitpicking TBH, my line was upgraded to the new speeds (miracle of the loaves and fishes), thought itd melt if they even tried, but there it is in black and white on the router config page

Whats concerning me is this, isnt the download cap supposed to be 24 gigs, and if it is why is the eircom stats page saying 20 gigs, dont get me wrong im very happy with the sevice supplied, but id like to get what was advertised if you know what i mean

Just something to note

:cool:

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

shinzon wrote:
    isnt the download cap supposed to be 24 gigs

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

That answers that then :D

shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Ryujin

I'm on EsatBT's 1Mb connection at the moment. Apparantly today (24th) I'm supposed to be upgraded to 2Mb per second. I don't know if they mean today as in from this morning, of if they mean that tonight they will do an upgrade or whatever.

But anyway I've checked my line and I'm still on 1Mb. Anyone still not upgraded yet? And if so when do you think I will be upgraded? I live in Dublin 5.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisement