Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Shops in Cork

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 suziek21

Hi everyone, this is an old thread but just wondering where the the best place for tropical fish now in Cork city and surrounding areas, i'm in Mallow. need some place that will give me advice and just not sell me what they have in stock. i'm new and just starting off, so all the advice is welcome.....

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Petstop off the Kinsale Road Roundabout is good or you could try Maxi Zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 suziek21

thanks Angeline,
    where is Maxi zoo, have you purchased tropical fish and are the staff experienced ??

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭dragon5678

Hey Guys

Apologies for pulling up an old thread but I am currently looking for a new Hamster and I was wondering if anyone has an updated list of pet stores in Cork. The one on North Main St. doesnt sell them and Sullys does not look like a good place to buy one from.

The closer to the city the better.

I live out in Wilton and cannot drive and the pet store in the shopping centre looks like its closed (if anyone can confirm this with me that would be great :) )

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Try Petstop by the Kinsale Road Roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 M.1978

Don't go to Sully's Pet Shop on Cornmarket Street, Cork. Worst customer experience I've ever had. I paid for a pet and they never ordered it. They kept saying it would arrive next week. This went on for a year. They've done this to other's too. They were obviously lying on purpose for what ever strange reason. The whole experience was stressful and they're dishonest behaviour, disheartening. Not recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Sullys are a complete joke. They used have a shop in Blackpool. I went over one day for dog food - they had none. I went across another day for a collar and lead for my dog - they had none. Delighted the shop is gone as they used have 2 poor puppys in a cage for sale and they were just running around in shít.

My mrs went into the cornmarket street one the other day to see what dog food they had, and again, they had none.

Generally I do not like when someone goes out of business, but I will be happy when this shower go bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 M.1978

I don't like to think the worst of people either and it takes a lot to get me angry. But Sully's pet shop succeeded in reaffirming that some people are just bad, lazy and don't care. If they treat people that badly, I would certainly worry about the wellbeing of the animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

M.1978 wrote: »
    I don't like to think the worst of people either and it takes a lot to get me angry. But Sully's pet shop succeeded in reaffirming that some people are just bad, lazy and don't care. If they treat people that badly, I would certainly worry about the wellbeing of the animals.

Was in there over easter weekend, a smaller rabbit looked like half it's ear had been chewed off :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

Sully is a bit of an effing timewaster imo- referred him to a guy to do a website a year ago and he hasn't paid a cent yet but keeps ringing to see what progress he's made.... and twas a super cheap mates rates type of gig.... As for pets- I am dubious about a place that sells puppies.... 120 quid he wanted for a jack Russell with no papers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

i had fierce problems withvthem lately. stuff i had ordered just didnt show up. it took 4 visits and a firm argument to get anywhere. never again. its also filthy dirty with unsavour characters hanging around. asking friends that id know to keep pets, fish etc, they all were of the same opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd be banned if I said what id like to about Pat Sully. The worst business man I have ever come accross. No morals, a scammer and puts every penny in to his arse pocket without paying no one or his suppliers. FACT! I despair at the thought of the welfare of his animals.

When hes goes out of business completely I'll be a happy boy as will the countless people he has scammed.

Urge anyone to avoid.

I know Mazizoo owners personally and they run a very good ship, high recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

Wish I'd known all about Sully and his devious ways before I ever got involved!
    My boyfriend and I got a couple of rabbits off him at the start of the summer, all was good up until one of them got injured and had to be rushed to the vets at about 11 at night. Ended up costing 70 quid which we though Sully's would pay for, like he said he would when we got them, but we haven't seen a penny of it. We've had to leave the rabbits in with them a couple of times, first time it cost 40 euro, haven't seen it.. we're also owed a cage from when "a drunk man" broke it.. we just reckon it was sold at this stage. My boyfriend goes in whenever he doesn't have college asking for it and the money and it's always the same excuses, either the cage is in his car (even though he told him that it'd be in the shop all day TODAY) or that we just missed the manager, and she has the key to her office where the cage is.
    Angry doesn't even cover how I'm feeling, I've never felt so stupid in all my life, and what makes it worse is that I've done a couple days work for him - said he was going to employ me - and he says he's paid me but nada.. taking advantage of two young students or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wish I'd known all about Sully and his devious ways before I ever got involved!
    My boyfriend and I got a couple of rabbits off him at the start of the summer, all was good up until one of them got injured and had to be rushed to the vets at about 11 at night. Ended up costing 70 quid which we though Sully's would pay for, like he said he would when we got them, but we haven't seen a penny of it. We've had to leave the rabbits in with them a couple of times, first time it cost 40 euro, haven't seen it.. we're also owed a cage from when "a drunk man" broke it.. we just reckon it was sold at this stage. My boyfriend goes in whenever he doesn't have college asking for it and the money and it's always the same excuses, either the cage is in his car (even though he told him that it'd be in the shop all day TODAY) or that we just missed the manager, and she has the key to her office where the cage is.
    Angry doesn't even cover how I'm feeling, I've never felt so stupid in all my life, and what makes it worse is that I've done a couple days work for him - said he was going to employ me - and he says he's paid me but nada.. taking advantage of two young students or what?

I'm sorry to here that mate. The stories about this scammer just keep stacking up.he will get what's coming to him someday don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I do agree that Sullys is not the place to go to anymore but a bit lost there with the rabbit storey why would they pay for the vet bills? They are your rabbits no so tisnt there problem or the cage thing why would that be their issue... They started off good when they first arrived but shocking now think tis just a shop front for something else ?? Shame their aren't many good places let Pet stop I suppose but you would want to know what you are looking for as the staff prefer to chat than help.. For fishy stuff defo the place in Bandon or Hanleys the French dude there is great

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I guess they were never really going to pay vet bills (and why would they) but it seems they said they would to make the sale.
    As I understood the post, it looks like the poster paid for the cage but never received it. I've heard of other people with similar stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Have been reading this thread over the past few months- (with so many people having had bad experiences with this pet shop), I am just wondering what any ordinary punter can do? It's awful how people have been treated, but would also be concerned about the animals in the shop. Do people have any redress?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Milly33 wrote: »
    cough cough I think the pet shop is just a front for stuff...

And look at all the good business they could be making on the side by actually selling fish and dog food too. ;)

Milly33 wrote: »
    I do agree that Sullys is not the place to go to anymore

I've a Sully's story too, dragged out over a year as well, but we actually got more gear than the money we paid him, trouble was they were the wrong size and the wrong light fittings ~ a mess.

It's about a year now and we have not darkened his door or even passed his shop.

but we haven't seen a penny of it. .. we're also owed a cage
    broke it..
    we just reckon it was sold at this stage.
    excuses, either the cage is in his car
    all day TODAY)

just missed the manager,
    she has the key to her office

I'm reading a bleeedin script here. I think we should just start a me too thread. Story is the same, only the characters change from rabbits to fish to dogs.

• Advertisement

Overall this thread has been a blast, hearing about all those lovely stores that are gone, moved or taken over, a little trip down memory lane.

My Pet Stores in Cork:
    Kinsale Road has been reasonably consistent and have attractive offers on fish regularly. My first choice.

Midleton Maxi Zoo [behind the fire station] lavishly stocked but standard pricing is way too high can only shop there during their specials which they run confusingly and despite I signing up, they never tell me about them.

North Main Street. Reliable, good prices, hit and miss stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

My free unpaid job as Mod is to invite open discussion, but also to avoid boards getting sued for defamation. This is getting too personal and seems to be an anti Sully thread.

I'm not judging either way, but I am closing the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement