Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Ripwave

• 22-11-2005 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭

I'm new to Boards so my question may have been answered in another post - if so forgive me!
    Just saw all the negatives about IBB, and I'm just wondering what the RIPWAVE (wireless BB) service is like. I ordered it last week and in theory it looks good enough - anyone know what the reality is? Basically, is there any connection difficulties, slow rates issues etc.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

:) Helter.

OP, go with Clearwire or Digiweb if you want wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭beyondrapid

if you can back out of it then do...
    ibb are a joke.
    currently trying to cancel the ripwave yoke i had, they're a mess of a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dvoakes

all of the above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Doctor Fell

if you can back out of it then do...
    ibb are a joke.

Ok, but what specifically is so bad? Really slow or something? Might go to Digiweb just in case...tempting thing is that IBB is cheaper and no connection fee, but if its genuinely crap fair enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

What do you want it for....
    Where are you located....

I use it in beaumount it's cheaper than dialup and slightly better.....
    It suits me because i don't want a contract or phone line and it only costs me 19euro pm. I only browser and ftp the odd file.

If you are located in a good signal area and only want it for some browsing / email then it's fine. If you want it for gaming / downloading large files / voip then it's not good enough....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Doctor Fell

egan007 wrote:
    What do you want it for....
    Where are you located....

If you are located in a good signal area and only want it for some browsing / email then it's fine. If you want it for gaming / downloading large files / voip then it's not good enough....

I want it for downloading music and playing poker.
    I'm living in Drumcondra, think its an alright area for coverage.
    Thing is for playing poker I definitely don't want any disconnects/interrupts at all, and also a fairly decent connection speed. Might go 4 something else so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Ok, but what specifically is so bad? Really slow or something?

As slow as dial-up when I had it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

I'd go for something else if you could. Nothing but bad reports on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Thing is for playing poker I definitely don't want any disconnects/interrupts at all, and also a fairly decent connection speed. Might go 4 something else so...

If you're playing in real money games don't use IBB, it's far too unreliable. Go elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Not sure what kind of ping poker needs but i can't imagine alot.
    - i'm sure you can play poker on Dial up.
    The music downloads can be left running all day as there is no download cap.
    -again as long as you are not in a hurry...

I'd guestimate that it's working 98% of the time i use it.
    As i said don't expect this to be fast
    You will get what you pay for and personally it fills my requirements at 19euro pm with no contract. + They have poor customer service.

I think if there was more constructive critism on boards it might even be useful.
    Ripwave definatly fills a niche.....im in that niche as i have no phone and I'll be moving in a few months so i don't want a contract.

of course i wish it was better - I wish everything was better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Ripwave does NOT fill any niche. It's a joke of a product from a joke of a company.
    They should be heavily fined for even attempting to call it a 'broadband' product. It's not. It's SLOWER than dialup. An utterly dreadful product.

By all means try it out, but I can practically guarantee you'll be sending it back to them with a cancellation note.

AVOID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Washington

Hi all. Just signed up and read some of the comments below.
    Yes, I have heard from friends that RIPWAVE IS useless, however I don't think we should give IBB a bad name for all their products. I'm a customer of theirs since 2003, wanted Ripwave, but was told that I was out of Ripwave's reception and advised me to have BREEZEWAVE instead. Yes I have an arial on my roof, just upgraded to 2MB up & download speed. I cannot complain. I guess as the saying goes:"You get what you pay for".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Washington wrote:
    "You get what you pay for".

what do you mean by this??

its the same price as other BB providers who "provide" a servcie!!!!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

:D
    ah the poor OP

Drapper wrote:
    what do you mean by this??

its the same price as other BB providers who "provide" a servcie!!!!!!! :mad:

It's not
    Noboday else offers at 19euro ex contract.

Anyway - im off this thread, my point was that it may be useful if this was not another IBB rant thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

egan007 wrote:
    It's not
    Noboday else offers at 19euro ex contract.

Anyway - im off this thread, my point was that it may be useful if this was not another IBB rant thread

yes but broadband it provided! IBB provides sub dial up speeds on Ripwave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Souness

So Drapper, Ripwave is not recommened. It seems to be the only reasonable option availble for Limerick customers! Eircom E60/month compared with E19! Was getting it before started reading Boards posts:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Souness wrote:
    So Drapper, Ripwave is not recommened. It seems to be the only reasonable option availble for Limerick customers! Eircom E60/month compared with E19! Was getting it before started reading Boards posts:(

Well, try it out. It might work for you. As there is no contract, you can give it back to them at a months notice. I just hope they stop billing you at that time.

Advertisement