Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu CDs

• 22-11-2005 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else ordered the Ubuntu "Shipit Free CDs" and received them yet ?

I placed an order about 3 weeks ago for them and they still havent arrived, This is not a rant, just a general question.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Yeh they usually take a good while,
    I got a load a while back if you want one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thanks GaRtH_V,

Appreciate the offer I can wait a while longer tho. I dont plan to install for another 2 weeks, its for a new rig.

Thanks again tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I ordered 10 or so a while ago and they took about 2 months to arrive...

Can't really complain though since they were free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Took mine about 2 months to arrive. I got a load also if ya want some

2 Months ! that might be a bit longer than expected all right...

Might have to take someone up on the kind offer I was looking for a PC and a 64-Bit PC version if that would be ok.

I can replace Cd's or pay for delivery as needs be

Appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Where are you?
    I have ubuntu, kubuntu and edubuntu
    latest downloads. I have a few packs of
    ppc and amd64 sets left from the previous
    release.

NiallB

Thanks NiallB, I will drop you a Pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

Can Ubuntu run as stand alone software on a pc or does it need Windows installed too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Of course it doesn't need Windows!. If it did it couldn't really call itself a standalone OS could it?

Laguna wrote:
    Of course it doesn't need Windows!. If it did it couldn't really call itself a standalone OS could it?
    Thats what I wanted to know, was it a stand alone OS...

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dwaned wrote:
    Can Ubuntu run as stand alone software on a pc or does it need Windows installed too?
    You can get a live version so you don't even need a hard drive never mind windows.

So how does it compare to XP? I've heard a few things have compatability problems and stuff like that.
    Just trying to make up my mind wether or not to instal it on my new system or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

There's no real consideration required dwaned. Linux takes an hour to install at the absolute max, and the easiest way to find out if there will be problems is to just go ahead and do it. If you'll like it you'll like it; if you won't you won't, and you can just set Windows to your default OS and forget about it.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

steveland? wrote:
    I ordered 10 or so a while ago and they took about 2 months to arrive...

Can't really complain though since they were free
    they put off posting them until the latest build was released or something...
    got 5 of them in the post a few weeks ago:)

Ken Shabby wrote:
    There's no real consideration required dwaned. Linux takes an hour to install at the absolute max, and the easiest way to find out if there will be problems is to just go ahead and do it. If you'll like it you'll like it; if you won't you won't, and you can just set Windows to your default OS and forget about it.

adam
    yeah I suppose.... Thanks I'll have a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

dawned if you've never played around with Linux before and it sounds like you haven't DON't install it.

Get yourself a Live CD that way you can have Linux on your pc, see what compatability issues you might have etc.

If after playing with it awhile you decide you want to install it, go right ahead its a step by step process. Not too difficult but taste the bread before you buy the bakery.

If you can't get hold of a Live CD let me know and I'll download and burn you a copy.

Thanks Jaqian,

I actually got a bunch of them in the post and that's why I'm thinking about trying it. Just haven't had a chance to do it yet. Actually if anyone needs a copy you are welcome to one.
    Just one more question then, can I actually instal a program while running the live CD? figured that was just to have a look at how the main prog works.

dwaned wrote:
    Thanks Jaqian,

Just one more question then, can I actually instal a program while running the live CD? figured that was just to have a look at how the main prog works.

Some give you the option of saving settings alright but I don't know if you can install a prog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Received a small number of copies of 5.10 ["PC version" only] just now (Ordered approx 27 Oct 2005 ).
    If anyone wants a copy: PM me [Please specify whether you want the Live or Install CD; and postal address, etc.]

I'll take a Live CD if you have one to spare? Do you want me tyo post you an SAE?

• Advertisement

Scratch that, I downloaded it last night. Cheers for the offer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

I have a tonne of them here if anyone wants one. PPC PC AMD and 64bit ones all ready to go. Drop me a PM.

Advertisement