Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbers !!

Options
  • 22-11-2005 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I've got a leaking tap in my kitchen which I just can't sort out myself. So I rang a pluber today to get a quote ...... 140 euros he says !! To fix a leaking tap !! Talk about Rip Off Ireland

Anyone know where I can get a fairly priced plumber ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Seems a bit excessive all right. You live on top of a mountain or something?:D In fairness you have to pay for the Plumbers time to get too and from you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

fooking hell!!

Would u not chance it urself, have u changed a plug before?? Or would plumber and RooKad slate me (no pun intended) for saying "chance it"!!!!
    Where u based, Dublin I suspect?? U should loads of choice

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

In my experience, most of the cost of getting any tradesman to do a job is paying him to hop in his van and come over. With minor stuff I will usually wait until there are a few things that need doing before I will call a plumber / electrician etc.

You could check around the house and see if there is any other plumbing-wise preventative maintenance tasks that will need doing at some point soon and tack that on to the list. It will work out cheaper than making a separate call for each little thing.

Perfect excuse to stick in that dancing fountain display in the dining room that the missus has always wanted...

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Would it be worthwhile investing in a book like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007164416/qid=1132679859/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/203-1528839-9870327 and have a bash yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Get either the Readers Digest DIY Manual (from woodies) or the B&Q Do it Yourself (have to ask at customer service desk) book and you will get more than enough info to sort this out yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 tigerman

where are you based, what type of tap do you have, is it a mixer or a monobloc? how old is the tap?

I've got a leaking tap in my kitchen which I just can't sort out myself. So I rang a pluber today to get a quote ...... 140 euros he says !! To fix a leaking tap !! Talk about Rip Off Ireland

Anyone know where I can get a fairly priced plumber ?

Advertisement