Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Masters Of Horror E04 Jennifer

• 22-11-2005 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭

Just watched this yesterday, by Dario Argento of Susperia fame. By far, the creepiest, scariest, goriest & all round best of the series so far. I found it genuine creepy and it played on my mind for quite some time after. I think the reason it worked better than episode two or three is because its kept quite simple...simple but very effective. I wont talk about the story other than to say its about a girl called Jennifer.

Go watch it right this instant and tell me what you think!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

SH1t that was one fcuked upp epp indeed.
    I had hoped it wouldent have the predictable end but it did. That cat looked just like ours but I found the sex secenes very hard to watch, I just had to look away. I thought the bit with the cat was very funny though.
    Good epp all the same if a little simple but simple can be good as proved by this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I actually felt this episode was piss-poor, definetly the worst one so far. Apart from the music, there's nothing about it that had any touch of Argento about it, which is very, very strange, because even in his worst films, there's still that Argento style, but Jenifer felt really rather empty, as if he hadn't directed anything at all, but rather let things play out and yelled cut or action at the appropriate intervals.

I agree with bedlam it did feel like a bad take on Tomie, and the acting was poor, but even Ezra Godden's overly wooden character in Dreams In The Witch House didn't stop me from enjoying it thoroughly. But the whole plot of Jenifer just didn't make any kind of logical sense whatsoever, and that really pissed me off.
    Scenes were simply roped together for the sake of it without any thought whatsoever, such as where the main character tries to sell her to the freak show instead of simply taking her back to the nut house, or where he marches her out of the cabin to kill her. It's scenes like that (And many more) which defy logic that ruined anything the film had to offer.

Think to yourselves why in gods name did he take her out of the cabin in order to kill her? The only logic involved in that action was on the part of the writer trying to bring the story to a very flimsy full circle, and all it served to do is remind us that we're watching something that's very poorly written. Why tie her hands? Why the axe? Why the same words as the previous attempted killer? Why did he not just shoot her? It's all just there to mirror the beggining and it feels as though every bit of plot was simply odd scenes roped together just to bring us back to the begging. As such, none of it felt like anything other than a flimsily put together story where the writer envisioned some magnificently dull "Twist" and added scenes to that, much of said scenes seem like filler, such as the main character getting a job. Not once did this episode feel like it was something that was playing out naturally, it just defies any kind of logic.

Something else that really annoyed me was the seemingly half baked ideas, such as the part where the main character was dreaming about Jenifer, and it just seemed to have no significance whatsoever. Again, the seemingly suspect cut on the main character's hand, something that seemed to played up in the early parts of the story a lot, yet had no significance.

I really do think that Dario Argento must've been so bored with the script, that he really did just sit there and yell cut or action at the appropriate times. As it is, the whole episode seemed like an ego project for Steven Weber, who wrote the script, and starred in the main role.

Bad show...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

True about all the plot holes this did occour to me also and I dont uasually go into script flaws too often. But I just liked the gore and the cat bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It really was a bit meh. The ending was poor.
    Karl pretty much sums up everything I disliked about it.

Better than Episode 3 I think though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Makaveli wrote:
    Better than Episode 3 I think though.

What's Reveng Of The Sith got to do with anything? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement