Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threshold

• 22-11-2005 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭

****NO SPOLIERS PLEASE****

Has anyone been watching it...

I can't make up my mind on weather I like it or not is it a bit 4400 spin-off

or has everyone just had enough of "Aliens comming to Earth Sci-Fi"

ala X-Files, Roswell, The 4400, Dark something or other. Is there room for more...

I think there is as long as they approach it correctly and give it as new a spin as possible. Ok so I know it's a bit soon to to give comments on a show that only started last wednesday... But so far it looks promissing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Yep, I've seen the first 9 eps so far. I have to say, I am enjoying it. Brent Spiner I find to be very good in it. although he has a limited roll compared to some of the others in it.

Still it seems to be a good show. But time will tell. I often give Sci-fi at least the first season to get its footing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Just about to start it myself.

anyone hear of surface, watched the first 2 epsiodes and gotta say it's impressed me so far.

Ok just watched the first 2 episodes and got to say its impressed the hell out of me so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sorry guys, its been axed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

What??? That really annoys me the way the US audiences dictates what's popular and what's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

\O/ yes Brannon Braga fails again hopefuly the tosser will never get another job in tv.

Sorry for anyone that liked this show but meh

• Advertisement

Firefly and now this, bunch of c***s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

sigh...sky have just started showing this and was also getting it off my cousins in the states.

Anyone know what "Invasion" and "Surface" are like? Though the way sci-fi series are going i probably should wait till the 2nd series is confirmed\made before starting watching another one.

Invasion started off promising, i'm 8 into it and it bores me now. Surface seen 7 so far and they're good.

I'm wondering tho, with threhold are torrents the cause of its demise, people could'nt be arsed watching all the adds, they just download instead without the adds and watch it anytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

I for one am glad that they cancelled this show. Worst show ever. And they always make these shows in America for the American audience so of course they decide if it has a future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I completely lost my interest in the first ep when the doc tells them 'oh your all fine, except that the way your brains work appear to have all altered, but hey its nothing to be concerned over, I'm letting you all pop off home now'.

I did watch the rest the show - but it was pretty much sci-fi by the numbers affair.

They should have donated the money that they used for this show to make a few more eps of firefly :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Threshold - I held off acquiring the show when I knew Sky were starting in. Based on the first two episodes so far - it's rubbish and entirely deserved to be cancelled. The main characters are the most inept bunch of super-scientists, military and "consultants" ever. NOTHING about the main premise makes any sense, and the scripting/direction is just appaling. Brannon Braga sucks.

With regard 'Invasion' -- I watched the pilot and thought it was extremely hackneyed and weak, didn't bother with any more episodes.

Surface is far and away the best of the new scifi shows - the pace is slow (in a good way), it doesn't jump to conclusions (The aliens are altering our DNA!:rolleyes:), David Greenwalt (Buffy/Angel) and Chip Johannssen (Millennium) are involved, and there's a promising arc with several good twists so far. The characters are likeable, and the lead, Lake Bell's marine biologist is actually QUALIFIED to be dealing with things unlike a certain consultant brought on board to deal with DNA-altering aliens ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Threshold started to run out of steam, it could have been better could have been more.....

Invasion is a slow burn and more about the iterpersonal relationships but it's not that bad.

Surface had been consistant so far not oever stretching like threshold and not
    as focused on the one screwed up interfamily group like invasion.

I've given up on it and it's only into it's third episode tonight... I tried to watch the "catch" up last nite on sky mix ooppsss I mean sky two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I thought Threshold was rubbish. There was a huge lack of common sense that was just painful.

For example in the first show with the boat. They couldn't let the North Koreans get the boat, so in the end they blew it up. Hello, it's a boat! Just tow it to your harbour, it'll be safe there.

A few episodes later a female DJ had played 'the signal', they confiscated her laptop, but apparently she had encrypted her harddrive, which delayed them. WTF? A female arts student drop out encrypted the music on her harddrive?!

The science was appalling too. For starters they didn't even get the shape of DNA correct (it's more twisted than it appeared on the show).

In my opinion there was no science in this 'science' fiction.

yeah I didn't get that what exactly were the north Koreans doing so far north in the Atlantic Ocean????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

Dammitt!! I liked Threshold, not everything has to be steak ya know, sometimes a rasher sandwidch is what you want. I want my Threshold rasher sandwidch :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Anyone know if it was wrapped up in the first season? I need some closure :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

Anyone know if it was wrapped up in the first season? I need some closure :o

Because it's a pile of crap? :)

I watched the pilot and gave it the big thumbs down when I heard the line "We have to stare oblivion in the eye and hope we don't blink" (or something like that).

You can't write crap like that and expect the series to last!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It could have done with better writing alright, you don't really feel anything for the characters...although I have to say I did like the plot, could have been better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭joshcork

Was interested in it and watched the first few episodes Brent Spinner was good and most of the casts acting was fine but the script was very poor I thought, lots of holes. Loads of stuff that you'd think would be done against these alien thing isn't and they make no mention of it, can't say I'm too troubled with it being cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

Threshold was easily the best of the bunch, I thought. Cool cast and mostly clever stories.

Invasion was too boring, so I gave up watching it early on.

Surface is very much a kids show, aimed at the "Family Viewing Audience" so I gave up on that very quickly, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

anyone know if any more Threshold eps are on the way? i know its been cancelled but it would be a biatch to end it with 9 episodes!

Invasion is really boring by the way.. have seen 4 episodes.. not in a hurry to see any more...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

I read on one board that Sky would be showing all 13 produced episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

that wouldnt be so bad.. as long as they give some kind of conclusion to the storyline! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

watched ep 10 that was on sky there the other day. I have to say I liked it. It had a good opening and continued on as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

TmB wrote:
    Sorry guys, its been axed.

Saw the first half dozen episodes and can't say I'm surprised its been cancelled. The first 2 episodes were alright but it lost momentum big time after that. The concept wasn't particularly original (I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one episode of the outer limits dealing with strange audio signals with gene altering capabilities) but I thought a mini-series might have worked. Given the other episodes (3 - 6) that I saw, I figured it'd get cancelled before it made any massive progress. Did it remind anyone else of a (ridiculously bad) show called Prey with Debra Messing in it? Same lack of momentum and no commitment on the part of the "bad guys".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Things picked up alot in the last few weeks (episode 11/12 on Sky), including an explanation of
    what the aliens want (they claim they're here to save humanity)
    . Great idea, but too little too late, I'm afraid....

TmB wrote:
    Things picked up alot in the last few weeks (episode 11/12 on Sky), including an explanation of
    what the aliens want (they claim they're here to save humanity)
    . Great idea, but too little too late, I'm afraid....

Hmmmm...that kinda figures. No conclusion though if it's cancelled so it doesn't really matter what they really want, they ain't gettin it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Threshold: say 6 eps and gave up. it was too painful to see some very good ideas just get mangled so badly. Series just started to drift.

Invasion: looooooooooong and drawn out. I'm a patient viewer but after 5 eps I jsut wasnt pushed about seeing another. I really didnt care.

Surface: Cack. Cack. CAAAAAAAACK.... 8 episodes in and it was like watching a car crash. you can see the corpse of decent television and the mangled remains of sci-fi rooted in plausability but you jsut cant look away. that episode when they were in their home made submersible almost made me puke. "we have half an hour of air left" it goes from mornign to night to morning in the other story arc and they still have half an hour....and that is the only bad point I can bring myself to talk about <shudder>. Interesting idea, dumbed down for the general audience and ended up being cack.

As for the torrent comment:

I dont think it is the cause of the demise. How many people actually download episodes? (a head count on an online forum is not really a good cross section of the populace). I have watched some eps via torrent and then I let others around me know if they are worth watching.

Lost I recommended: it is now watched religiously by at least 5 households.
    Surface I initially recommended but then warned against.
    threshold my mother watched despite my warnings and now she has given up in disgust.
    Invasion I actually recommended but gave a warning about its pace. Two households watch it now.

This isnt an "arent I great" claim, its an example of how crap television will fail whether or not torrents exist and how torrents actually help tv (in some cases, Lost would have passed by if I had not been introduced to it via torrent, and it would have passed the other 5 households by if i had not recommended it - they dont really like sci-fi). threshold deserves its lonely demise as does surface imho. They should stop making crap that stretches out ad infinitum and make a limited run series that actually tells a story in an allotted time, not "oooh, the first 3 episodes are a smash, quick, pad the story so we can eek 10 seasons out of it". X-files was a prime example of this.

• Advertisement

You can generally tell within half a season or so whether something will get axed or not. Threshold was definitely up there.

Advertisement