Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ruud is the new ManU capt.?

• 22-11-2005 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

So does he have what it takes to be a long term replacement as captain or are Man U gonna just give him the arm band untill they can buy someone as influential as Keane was?
    I imagined G.Neville would've been the natural successor, especially he's since he's returning from injury, so why does it seem like Ferguson is looking to Ruud?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Word has it that Neville will get the captain's armband when he returns from injury. I think it would of went to Rio Ferdinand had it not been for his contract stalling antics.

As to why it went to Ruud, he's the one player United have at the minute who, bar injury, has played consistently for the past few seasons. Who else could they give it to with Giggs and Neville injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'd like to see Ruud get it on a full-time basis.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Nah, Gary Neville deserves it. He's been there since the early 90's and is as committed to MUFC as they come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Neville will get the job. There are 3 posibilities, and only one is not an attacking player. The player best placed is Neville as he sees more of the teams performance than a player up front.

Never make a striker captain and yes I know Shearer wears the armband but hey he's the man at Newcastle.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

What about Heinze when he recovers ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Heinze isn't good enough to be captain imo.

Ruud is the best player in the United team atm, with Keano gone, he is also the person who wants to win the most.
    The guy is one of the few people in United who actually never gives up and really shows people what United are about. Absolute legend, and for the next 3 years he could totally be a captain, and then rooney can take over.
    Legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Not a ManU fan, but really with keane gone the only realistic options of who should be captain are Ruud, Giggs and Neville. They're the only ones who really embody the spirit of man utd to my mind (well except for maybe roony but he's too young). Rio i'd imagine would be a terrible choice considering he's pretty obviously hopelessly irrisponcible, not the brightest, and lacks the consistency needed of a captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I would give it to rooney ahead of RVN. Rooney is a battler who will do the **** work i.e getting back and defending aswell as going forward. On the ptich Ruud doesnt seem much of a motivator, i have never seen him giving one of his team mates a bollocking, never seen him spurring the team on. He just seems to cruise through games.

He must be alot different in training to what he is on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Its pretty sad tho that there is even a debate over this, United teams of few yrs ago would have had plently of natural successors..

Looks like Neville is obvious choice. Rio would have had it not been for his slump, contract stalling, generally being a nonce etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Neville or Giggs seem to be the natural choices if you discount Ruud as he is an attacking player.

If Ferdinand gets the armband, I'll eat my hat. Followed by his.

Rooney hasn't been there long enough imo. As far as I'm concerned he hasn't paid back his transfer price yet.

I'd like to see Giggs with it but from a practical point, Neville is the man when he returns from injury.
    Rio... generally being a nonce
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

It has to be Gary Neville to get the armband when he gets a couple of games back under his belt. As some have eluded to earlier, a striker often doesnt make an ideal captain, but Ruud makes a good stand in while we secure someone more long term. His desire is his main attribute which makes his captaincy credible. Oh yea, and the fact he is one of our best players...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

What's so bad about having an attacker as a captain? I know it might be more beneficial for a captain to be amidst all of the action, and strikers can drift in and out of games, but I don't think there's anything wrong with someone leading from the front. Ruud has been great this season, and in the last game or two I think he's dropped deeper to get more involved in the overall play, and against Charlton he really put in a captain's performance, capped with 2 great goals.

Ruud has been exceptional for United but in general, an attacking player is not as involved as much in a game as much as a midfielder or defender (particularly centre back). The purpose of a captain is to act as the manager's mouth piece on the field of play. A midfielder is ideal as he is constantly between every player and can talk to them easily whereas an attacker (especially Ruud!) rarely makes it anywhere near the back four.

Ruud is an excellent short term measure but I think Gary has been gunning for that arm band for a looong time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Remember Cantona as captain. I wouldn't have thought that he was an authorative figure but his on field presence was huge. I don't think ManU need another Keane type captain

Cantona was great as he was such an inspirational player. Perhaps the type that Rooney can develop into over the next few years. It was great seeing him in the papers today speaking out against Glazier. He still grabs my attention every time, sucha charismatic guy, if a little crazy.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ruud is deeply involved in all of Uniteds attacking moves, as he is a lone striker.
    He touches the ball more than most of the midfield players because it gets passes to him, he distributes, then runs into the box.
    To suggest he isn;t involved in the play as much as others is just not watching how United play football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Ruud is an ok captain but i'd prefer to see either Paul Scholes or Gary Neville gettin it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Not Scholes. You need someone with a bit of a mouth on him. I don't like ruud as captain neither. especially the way he told rooney not to take that free at the end and he ended up scuffing it, rooney seemed very mad about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I think Gary Neville would be the natural captain of the existing team, also
    Heinze: if he wasnt injured and was available, i wouldnt care about seniority at the club the guy has the right atitude and influences other players by the way he plays.
    Ferdinand i think was possibly on course to be captain if he hadnt of caused so much grief about the missed drug test and greedy wage demands, its fair to say he's blown any chance of that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Before that free kick yesterday i thought Ruud made a decent captain. He has a good head on his shoulders and in the interviews he came accross very well (knew that Manu wasnt doing as well as they should be and that they had to work hard to get back to where the club should be).
    Being a good player shouldn't have much influence on wether someone gets the armband or not. Its how they lead and rally players that should decide it.

I'm pretty sure than Neville will get the official team captaincy when hes back from injury. I even think that he may make a decent captain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

id say Neville wil get it the next match he starts and Giggs/Ruud/Scholes (in that order) will be the 'sub' captains

Advertisement