Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos...Refund Policy

Options
  • 22-11-2005 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

I tried to bring a TV back to argos that stopped switching on after about 6 months. The TV was in a guest room and used about 30 times. I took it back to the store with receipt (bought in March) in all original packaging expecting a refund or credit note, but was advised by a real smarmy shop manager that I could only have it repaired or replaced. I told him that I did not want the same one because I have no confidence in that brand anymore and demanded a refund/credit note, which he point blank refused.

I know that I am entitled to a refund or at least a credit note under the supply of goods.....1980 and have contacted their call centre in the UK. The response was more or less the same.

Just wanted to know if anyone was had any similar dealing with Argos and was it resolved satisfactorily?

I have a feeling this will end up in the small claims court!!!! Its the principle of it, if they had even been nice or understanding I probably would have just accepted the replacement but they have my blood boiling!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Any time I brought broken stuff back to Argos I was offered a refund straight away. However it happened so many times that now I am reluctant to buy any except the most basic of electrical items from them. (Nearly all of the returns were electric) I think the problem might be the six month bit. It's a tight call. I'd try going over his head if at all possible.
    If he doesn't change his tune ask him for that policy/decision in writing and invest €20 in the small claims. If he won't put it in writing then send a registered letter out lining your case to Agros.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

I assume the TV has a warranty on it? Usually it's around 1 year. A.F.A.I.K. if you have your receipt proving when you purchased it then they have to replace it for you.
    I've always found them pretty good for returning stuff.
    Why not bring it back to a different branch with a nicer manager? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouble

I don't normally buy stuff there and won't be in the future if they don't sort something out, They are due to get back to me in the morning after they talk to thier legal dept..blah..blah.. The thing that was most frustrating was the attitude that the store rep and the call centre people, really really unhelpful and and not an iota of customer service between them. I felt like they were accusing me of breaking the TV or something and that I was 'lucky' to be getting a replacement instead of it going for repair.....

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Which branch of Argos was it?
    Did you explain the problem with the TV in a reasonable manner ie. without shouting etc.?
    I can't see why they didn't take it back. They get credit for it from the manufacturer. I'd go back at a quiet time and give them one more chance to resolve the situation. If you don't receive satisfaction then tell them that you'll be writing to their head office to complain. Make sure to get the manager's name.

It was in the Jervis. I'm not a very confrontational person, I was very polite to them, I worked in Cust Services some time ago but I remember that its not nice to be nasty!!! I am usually very calm in dealing with situations like this but by the end of the phone conversation with the Cust care rep this evening, I have to admit I was a little frustrated...Anyway, I'll post whatever response I get tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I work in Argos and I cannot comment your particular circumstances as I would have to be present to inspect the product etc, but normal practise is to offer a replacement (refund only if it breaks down within 30 days) or to get an alternative product of the same value.

Yeah I understand what argos's policy is but just cause its their policy to only offer replacements doesn't mean that I'm not legally entitled to a Refund (which I am)
    The fact is that I don't want the same TV back cause I don't trust it (or a replacement of the same brand) not to break down again. As I have told the argos peeps in the UK I'd be happy with a credit note.

There is a difference between company policy and peoples statutory rights, all company policys (not just argos's) are always followed with 'this does not affect your statutory rights'....because a comsumer is entitled to their money back if they are sold a faulty product.....

Do you reckon the the Argos head office will listen to my complaint? Have you ever dealt with a customer in a similar precidement? Id be greatful for any advise

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Trouble wrote:
    Yeah I understand what argos's policy is but just cause its their policy to only offer replacements doesn't mean that I'm not legally entitled to a Refund (which I am)

Your not as it happens. Your only entitled if it happens within a certain time (not sure exactly but its a couple fo weeks. Outside of that it's repair or replace (at their discretion afaik)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You're only entitled to a refund if the fault developed within 30 days of purchase iirc.
    As it was six months after purchase, I think you're probably doing well getting a replacement to be honest.

Stekelly wrote:
    Your not as it happens. Your only entitled if it happens within a certain time (not sure exactly but its a couple fo weeks. Outside of that it's repair or replace (at their discretion afaik)

Well not according to the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980, which I'm sure I don't need to state here.

• Advertisement

The Act says if the goods are faulty within the first 30 day, you are entitled to a refund. After that, you are entitled to repair or replacement.
    Argos still comply with this Act, by not giving you a refund. You were offered a replacement. However, it is at the discretion of the management whether a credit note would be issued. Under normal circumstances I'd allow it, but then again, I'm not in a position to comment on an issue with another store.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It really depends on what is termed 'a reasonable time'. If the fault occured with a week of buying the TV, I would say you can reject the goods and seek a full refund. If 6 months has elapsed, I would say you are outside the 'reasonable' timeframe and the seller has the option to offer a repair, replace or refund. You were offered a repair or replacement which I believe complies with the law. I do no think you have the right to a full refund after 6 months of use and i doubt you will have any success taking Argos to the small claims court.

From the sticky
    If goods are not of merchantable quality or are not fit for their purpose or are not as described the consumer is entitled to a remedy.

If the reason for the complaint is not trivial and is discovered soon after purchase, the consumer is entitled to reject the goods and insist on a full refund provided prompt action is action is taken.

If the goods have been used for some time, or if there is undue delay in making the complaint, or if there is reason to believe that the goods have been accepted, the consumer's entitlement, at best, may be to a repair or to a partial refund.

There are no hard and fast rules as each case has to be considered on its merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

they are right the act is really clear and ppl have an opnion that within warranty period they are entitled to refund but this refund is only due if fault occurs within a short period of time weather the product was used and abused or never taken out of its box but the company have to and have the option on offer of repair or replacement but a refund is still not out of the question it then depends on company policy,but that same policy must comply with the law and it does. alas a large company like argos must stick to its policy rigidly otherwise there would be choas in the accounts and books and the dreaded "but he said and you said" whereas a smaller retailer or "local" retailer may be more flexible

you could however use the retail value of the tv against another tv and pay the increased difference,an immediate credit note as such,they might tell u where to go but its a choice that results in u getting a different brand of tv and them a "sale" u can only ask??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Trouble wrote:
    I tried to bring a TV back to argos that stopped switching on after about 6 months. The TV was in a guest room and used about 30 times. I took it back to the store with receipt (bought in March) in all original packaging expecting a refund or credit note, but was advised by a real smarmy shop manager that I could only have it repaired or replaced. I told him that I did not want the same one because I have no confidence in that brand anymore and demanded a refund/credit note, which he point blank refused.

I know that I am entitled to a refund or at least a credit note under the supply of goods.....1980 and have contacted their call centre in the UK. The response was more or less the same.

Just wanted to know if anyone was had any similar dealing with Argos and was it resolved satisfactorily?

I have a feeling this will end up in the small claims court!!!! Its the principle of it, if they had even been nice or understanding I probably would have just accepted the replacement but they have my blood boiling!!!!!!!!

The sale of goods act doesn't support your claim. Within 28 days you can get a full refund. After that if you have a fault within 12 months it is a warranty issue. The store can repair or replace it - whatever is most practical. I'd take the repair and buy another brand next time.

Well according to the act:
    Under this Act the purchaser of goods has a number of rights - the main ones are

Goods must be of merchantable quality – goods should be of reasonable quality taking into account what they are meant to do, their durability and their price
    Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do
    Goods must be as described - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement.

There is no mention of timescales in the actual act either, I think I have quite a good case, In my opinion a television should last longer than 6 months, in fact, I'd say that a television should last for years.

Yes but you have taken a narrow and untenable interpretation of the act. Clearly none of rights you state have been breached here. Furthermore, the product is covered by a warranty that has another six months to run. He has a remedy - get the set repaired/replaced under warranty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Trouble wrote:
    I took it back to the store with receipt (bought in March) in all original packaging expecting a refund or credit note, but was advised by a real smarmy shop manager that I could only have it repaired or replaced. I told him that I did not want the same one because I have no confidence in that brand anymore and demanded a refund/credit note, which he point blank refused.
    Was it an Alba :p ??
    Yes and Yes but the item in question was no longer stocked and we mutually agreed on a suitable replacement. Dealing with Argos depends on who you get and how busy they are, tuesday morning is quiet I find.

You are entitled to your money back if the scond or third one fails. They are entitled to replace the first one.

Motto. Do not buy cheap crappy brands ...and I strongly suspect you bought an Alba or Goodman telly not a Mitsubishi or Sony . Do Tell.

Lol even worse the brand was 'Mikoni' or something like that, but in fairness, its function was going to be to sit in a spare room. That was the 1st and last time i'll buy a TV there hence I don't want the same one back if its going to break down. I have a Sony TV in my room which has been going strong this past 10 years.

I still believe that I legally should get a credit note or refund, I have been offered sa replacement which I will not accept. 6 months is not an acceptable life-span of a television.

BrianD wrote:
    Yes but you have taken a narrow and untenable interpretation of the act. Clearly none of rights you state have been breached here. Furthermore, the product is covered by a warranty that has another six months to run. He has a remedy - get the set repaired/replaced under warranty.

My interpretation is not narrow or untenable. I think that I am being perfectly resonable. If it was something that I woud only expect to get a year or two's usage out of believe me I wouldn't bother but it really is the principle of the thing. Irish people don't complain enough, which leaves big retailers get away with anything. I know that the merchandise is not fit for the purpose intended. Warrantys do not replace consumer rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

If the reason for the complaint is not trivial and is discovered soon after purchase, the consumer is entitled to reject the goods and insist on a full refund provided prompt action is action is taken.

If the goods have been used for some time if there is undue delay in making the complaint, or if there is reason to believe that the goods have been accepted, the consumer's entitlement, best, may be to a repair or to a partial refund.
    all this inside the warrenty period outside this nobody has a leg to stand on

• Advertisement

Show us how then!!!

You bought the brand in question based on price and specification. You can not just turn around and say I'd like my money back because you have no faith in the brand. There is also an expectation of durability based on the price point, brand reputation and other factors that you the buyer assess during purchasing. I could buy a BMW tomorrow and it could break down 5 mins or 3 months after leaving the forecourt. Should I argue that the car is not fit for the purpose intended etc?? Eh, NO!

I think there is a reasonable expectation by consumers that manufactured goods make develop a fault of some sort that is not caused by fair wear and tear. SOme of these faults may be random and unpredictable others may be poor quality workmanship. The law gives you fair remedy after the 28 days - repair or refund for up to a year (I think the EU says it supposed to be 2 years now).

Your product is faulty/broken. Get it fixed under warrantry while you can. Your expectations are perfectly unreasonable. The Argos may have been rude but is perfectly correct. Of course, he may decide to give you a refund if he so wishes but why would he?

You say that people don't 'complain' enough. I agree. I would go further - people don't how to complain in an effective manner and people don't what to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I think you are totally unreasonable tbh.
    Argos (and I have no connection with them whats so ever)
    have the best returns/refunds policy of anybody.
    If you buy an item and don't like after 14 days, they will REFUND you your money! Where else would you get that for about 3,000 items (give or take)?
    Try that in power City or DID.
    After the 14 days (it's 14 or 16 but I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong) they will give you vouchers to the value of the goods if it doesn;t suit you, think that lasts for a month and then you have your warranty which is standard.
    The fact that they have offered to replace it is the correct one and moaning on about Sales of goods is pointless.
    I know that I am entitled to at least a credit note under the supply of goods.....
    NO YOU'RE NOT
    Replacement.

I shop in Argos for a lot of items becuase of their returns policy, veen though they might be slightly dearer then other shops, it works out better in the end.

Yes as you said I bought the product based on price and specification, and based on that I would expect it to be more durable than to last 6 months. Its as simple as that.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

absolutely. And to sort of the problem they are giving you a new one.

Trouble wrote:
    Yes as you said I bought the product based on price and specification, and based on that I would expect it to be more durable than to last 6 months. Its as simple as that.

It certainly is. Your purchase may have a minor defect that can be sorted out with a 10c part and the manufacturers expense. Certainly does not entitle you to your money back.

okidoki987 wrote:
    After the 14 days (it's 14 or 16 but I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong)
    its 16 Days as long as you bring in your receipt and the original packaging

Haven't had a chance to reply to this in a while, but just wanted to say that the good people of Argos agreed with me and have issued me with a credit note.

Or should that read ... they used their discretion?

BrianD wrote:
    Or should that read ... they used their discretion?

true, as the original manager you spoke to was right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 lyndseyb1

I basically came on here to complain and warn people away from Argos Home Deliveries.

I ordered bedroom furniture on the 14th October 2008 (15 weeks ago), I was contacted at about 7 different stages to be given seven different dates for delayed delivery. I am extremely annoyed at the way Argos were neglegent.
    Each time I contacted the customer service team they refused to admit that the items I ordered would not be stocked in the warehouse again.
    All I wanted was honesty, instead they insisted that I should wait for the items to be delivered. Today when I got really fed up and contacted Argos to cancel my order, I was informed that I was contacted on Sunday 25th January (I was not contacted on this day at all) to be informed that argos "will not be getting these items back in stock at all". Customer service team are nice, but thats what they are paid to do! I dislike shooting the messenged but who else can you complain to if you are not put through to a manager in a situation like this. These wardrobes were not that cheap, I could have shopped anywhere else got nicer heavier items for this price, I only ordered them for convenience of delivery, and as I am so trusting I decided to wait for my delivery. Not even an offer of compensation was given for our patience. I am disguisted with their service. As a warning, never ever rely on argos for delivery!

Advertisement