Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

know anyone who gives blues guitar lessons

• 22-11-2005 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

been playing guitar for years now, and been very lazy to improve. Recently i've been listening to a lot of blues, n i reaal y wanna get my head aroung some blues licks, tried learning from tab but can't get the feel of it. LOve rory gallagher a lot at the mo. Know any real kick ass blues players who give lessons?????:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Kheed,

I would be the same as you. The www.learnmusic.info site has a lot of teachers in Ireland from wherever you live. I am going to call a guy in Naas to see if he can make me into a half decent guitarist. Let me know if you find someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kheed

cheers I'll try that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Hi, I'm a professional guitar teacher based in the Dublin area that offers a proper course on Blues and how musical theory relates to same.

Call me on 085-7189920 or email teaching@thomasbrunkard.com. Google me for references!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Briony Noh

Famously, he locked himself away for a week with his guitar and a stack of 78s (Muddy Waters, Les Paul, Django Reinhart and God knows who else - EC is God, of course) and emerged the way we know him today, only younger - it was a long time ago.

The thing about 78s is, you could slow them down on the old record players to 45 or 33.3, suss the notes, then figure how to play them in that order with a minimum of hand fuss. The other thing he had going for him was a bit of soul and a bit of pain. I'm not saying teachers can't teach the blues, anyone can teach you the technique of blues playing and once you find the blues scale it's hard to play anything without referring to it, but there can't be much that would substitute for listening and understanding as much as you can. Then learn the licks, then make them your own.

When Clapton left Cream and the band dissolved, he said he was tired of playing cliche after cliche, night after night. He didn't feel he was growing, consequently that he was letting his audiences down. Perfectly correct and proper. He immersed himself in the jamming circuit and hooked up with a veritable who's-who of contemporary guitarists and rediscovered his soul. He forgot to mention, though, that he'd invented most of those cliches he'd complained about in the first place.

Maybe this doesn't answer your question, but I hope it gives you a new perspective on the world you're entering by asking it.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ROB26

Hey new to this! I found the best way to learn is from all the masters..... I've loads of Blues cds from Robert Johnston to Hendrix,,etc. I've got a small digital 4 track which allowys me to loop any part of a song over and over and over again, its great for picking up every single riff, when you add them all together you've got the solo! All the great blues players started off by playing there heros licks,,,,,, Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

You can't teach Blues.

Advertisement