Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bikini- Strip or Brazilian!?

• 22-11-2005 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Getting a bikini wax done tomorrow and I have been getting the landing strip done for ages but I think it's time for a change! Does anyone know the procedure for the whole 9 yards? I really don't fancy lying on a table legs akimbo minus underwear so anyone that has brazilian experience- I'd be delighted with some stories or advice!
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Don't worry about lying down legs akimbo - if you're going for the whole deal (meaning *every* single hair there) you may be asked to get up on the table on all fours instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cheekyass

I wouldnt worry about anyone seeing your lady bits while your getting it done, your probably not the first person to have gotten it done that day so they wont be too interested!;)
    I know a girl who will always take painkillers about an hour or so before she gets it done, but ive never had to do that so i cant recommend it.
    Just make sure its an experienced person doing it for you or else you might bruise or bleed which is never nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

if you've been getting the 'landing strip' done for ages, you pretty much know the deal. there's very little difference.

where i go, you're just asked to lie right back and fold your knees into your stomach - there's relatively little hair around there compared to at the front so its a pretty quick part of getting it done. also quite painless compared to the rest.

while we're on the topic, i was given a sample of tea tree oil lotion to use - i have some vaseline intensive care aloe vera moisturiser too, would that be all right to use to sooth irritation?
    i dont think it has any harsh ingrediants, but i dont want to risk anything when down there is concerned! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

What's the difference between a 'landing-strip' and the 'Brazilian'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Go Hairy!

• Advertisement

tbh, i dont know, i assumed she meant brazillian when she said it first.

brazillian takes off *all* the hair, including from around the ass area. maybe she's been getting something else done, im not sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Seraphina wrote:
    tbh, i dont know, i assumed she meant brazillian when she said it first.

brazillian takes off *all* the hair, including from around the ass area. maybe she's been getting something else done, im not sure...
    That's a 'Hollywood'

The Brazillian is just a little stip of hair.. that's why I was unsure of what the difference was.

yeah sorry the brazillian takes of all the hair apart from the little strip.

normal bikini waxes dont involve taking off all the ass and pubic hair - afaik you dont even need to take you're underwear off, just tuck it in a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Waxing differences involve labia...

even the *sound* of it hurts...

ahh tis not that bad. painful yes. the smoothness makes up for it though :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

fair play to ye girls..ye're suckers for punishment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭SexeeAussie

My tip...just get completely drunk........then do it. The pain is minimal!!! :)

Or just shave it........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Seraphina wrote:
    while we're on the topic, i was given a sample of tea tree oil lotion to use - i have some vaseline intensive care aloe vera moisturiser too, would that be all right to use to sooth irritation?

Try some after shave balm. Vaseline intensive care would probably hurt. Never had a wax, but I'm sure skin tenderness is similar to a proper facial shave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Warning - Don't confuse after shave with after shave balm!

They will never get you down off the ceiling if you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Seraphina wrote:

As with any oil or cream, a word of warning, ALWAYS rub a tiny amount on your skin first to ensure you have no allergies to it.

As a recommendation anything from the Johnsons Baby oils/cream are extremely good as allround products, so I'm sure they'd do the job here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Hagar wrote:
    Warning - Don't confuse after shave with after shave balm!

They will never get you down off the ceiling if you do.

LOL
    :D Classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Seraphina wrote:
    i dont think it has any harsh ingrediants, but i dont want to risk anything when down there is concerned! :p
    Take it you went to Urban Wax? That's where I go as well. I bought the tea tree lotion. They recommend using that coz it's an antiseptic (I'm assuming the Vaseline one isn't?) I'd prob stick with the tea-tree, I've never had any problems after using the tea-tree, and I'd kinda be wary about changing just in case, don't wanna hurt myself down there!!

On topic - if you've been getting the "landing strip" done ... I'm assuming you mean the hair is just tidied up into a strip and nowhere else is touched?

Brazilian = landing strip ONLY, all hair from the bum and lips (yes so so so sore!!!) is removed.

Hollywood = everything gone.

Let's be honest ... it is very sore the first time. But ya just grit your teeth, and it's over pretty quickly. I got my first one in Urban Wax (they are up near Stephen's Green SC), and I wouldn't go anywhere else after it. The second time, it wasn't as painful, and it gets less sore each time. They make it as painless as possible, and they are very friendly. They understand anyway that you'd be nervous and embarrassed so they do their best to make you feel comfortable (and if it worked for me, hell it'll work for anyone!!). They also have TVs in the room, and they usually play episodes of Sex and the City, so at least ya are distracted! :)

What the procedure is - if it's your first time, ya gotta have a patch test done about 48 hours before. Then if that's okay, you come back in and get it done. I'd recommend getting the hot wax as it's better for sensitive skin (the one where they peel it off). They can only do warm wax (where they pull it off in strips) on the bum.

What happens - ya have to bare all down there I'm afraid. You lie down, and they wax it. It's not like the episode in SATC where Carrie gets a Hollywood, it's more of a you pull your knees to your chest and that's how they wax the bum. The sorest part in my opinion, was when they wax the labia :( Very sore, but it looks so pretty when it's all finished!

And of course you can get yourself decorated there too - they can put Swarovski crystals onto your brazilian, or you can die the hair blue (as in a Tiffany box) if you're getting hitched, or die it blonde (Marilyn Monroe), etc.

Costs about €60 or so. Tea-tree is €12.

God I should be PR for that place!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yes you should! I would love to go to that place to get done but I'm afraid where I'm going is just a little shed! (ah no not a shed but they sure don't have TV's playing SATC) How many anadin extra can you take at a time without dying of an overdose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How many anadin extra can you take at a time without dying of an overdose?
    Read the packet!

And don't mix with alcohol, the alcohol just negates the painkillers.

Ah you're only supposed to take one but by the pain rating displayed on some of the posts I seriously doubt one will do the trick seeing as my pain threshold is a pussy!!! (excuse the pun!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Where abouts are you going to? Not to be scaremongering, but you should really make sure tiz a reputable place that you're going to. These ain't normal beauty therapists, they have special training to do this kind of thing.

Also, on that same subject, don't pay cheap for the treatment. If you're paying under €50, I wouldn't really go there. €55 or so should be the price you'd be paying.

I used to go to a fairly decent place with a good reputation but the last time I got it done the girl left me with a nice tidy strip but minus a nice layer of dermis! seriously painful so I've been advised to go to this other place a friend of mine said it's very good and I'm not sure of the price range. Where I used to go it was 46E for full leg and bikini- too cheap maybe?

tinkerbell wrote:
    Take it you went to Urban Wax? That's where I go as well. I bought the tea tree lotion. They recommend using that coz it's an antiseptic (I'm assuming the Vaseline one isn't?) I'd prob stick with the tea-tree, I've never had any problems after using the tea-tree, and I'd kinda be wary about changing just in case, don't wanna hurt myself down there!!

used it anyway, i wanted to hold on to the sample of tea tree for after the gym in case it got particularly irritated. no terrible rashes, its all good :D

yes Urban Wax it was, and i would second everything tinkerbell has said about the place. minimal irritation, no bruising, and only a single ingrown hair each time!
    although i seem to have pretty good skin for stuff like this, my piercer is itching to stick more needles in me cause everything heals so well!

anyway yes, go somewhere decent like tinkerbell said, i wouldn't trust any small places with this kind of thing!

good luck, and enjoy smooth country :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭deisemum

chicken did you get waxed yet, if so how bad was it and what did you have done in the end?

I hope you're sitting comfortably:eek:

I'm thinking of having a bit more waxed next time rather than the regular bikini line job but don't know if I could tolerate the pain.

It would be great if these places provided gas and air

Thought my appointment was yesterday but I read reminder wrong I'll let you know how it went tomorrow Deisemum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Seraphina wrote:
    smooth country :D
    Decorum please! :D
    next time
    How often do people go? Do you go immediately it starts to bristle or does one wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johnwoods

My tip...just get completely drunk........then do it. The pain is minimal!!! :)

Or just shave it........

I wish to subscribe to your News Letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 indie

just make sure u go to a well known place where they are well used to doing well everything down there lol. they will be well used to seeing us ladies in that position and wont be worrying what it looks like they see them eveyday ive got it done hurt like hell but happy with the results :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

Hehehe.... I just had mine done today!(Brazilian!)I came straight to work and my knickers is stuck to me all day because of the wax!!Ahhhhh:o

I used to get a normal bikini wax which was just the sides to tidy it up a little bit!
    I was always worried about getting the brazilian done, just because I didn't want to show anyone my bits!! hehe! I found a really great beautician though who I felt completely comfortable around and I decided to try a brazilian for a change.
    It was fine, she gave me a disposable G-String to wear and I just held it to one side while she waxed the other side!.. Then I lay back with my knees by my chest and she waxed the underneath! Its really not that sore, being honest I think getting my legs waxed is 20 times worse!!
    Just go for it!!!!... Don't think too much about it because you will start giving yourself excuses not to go and get it done! Believe me, having a Brazilian feels so much better than the average bikini wax!! .. And Im sure your boyfriend will also love it!! ;)

• Advertisement

how long does it last before it starts getting stubbly and needed to be redone.

it doesn't get stubbly, thats the best part.
    the hair grows back much softer, its not as noticeable at all. the hair is long enough to be waxed again in about 4-6 weeks depending on your own hair growth rate, but the regrowth is much less unpleasant from that of shaving. probably a week or more before i'd notice any hairs at all

Woooooooowwww! I also went and had my brazilian done yesterday and it was pretty much the exact same procedure as outlined below by oul doll, I focking love it(",) and not half as sore as getting your legs done- especially the shins that's what I find most painful. The girl made me so comfortable and we chatted away for the whole duration. Anyone who is contemplating doing it I would definitely recommend it I can't wait to show my BF Ha Ha!!!
    And thanks for the advice guys.

Chicken! wrote:
    Woooooooowwww! I also went and had my brazilian done yesterday and it was pretty much the exact same procedure as outlined below by oul doll, I focking love it(",) and not half as sore as getting your legs done- especially the shins that's what I find most painful. The girl made me so comfortable and we chatted away for the whole duration. Anyone who is contemplating doing it I would definitely recommend it I can't wait to show my BF Ha Ha!!!
    And thanks for the advice guys.

Yayyyy!! I am so happy for you! hehe!! Cool cool... your boyfriend will love it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

Think I know what I want for christmas.. (for my gf to get done :) )
    Ill say it to her today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Kersh wrote:
    Think I know what I want for christmas.. (for my gf to get done :) )
    Ill say it to her today...

You're going to ask your gf to go through a sh!t load of pain for your pleasure?

What if her wish for Christmas was for you to get your sack waxed!!!!!!
    Would you?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

hmm, i may go and get it done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

BoozyBabe wrote:
    What if her wish for Christmas was for you to get your sack waxed!!!!!!
    Would you?????

Certainly would. No problem at all.

Khannie wrote:
    Certainly would. No problem at all.

Why can't I get a bf like you!!!:D

(no smart comments, please!)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johnwoods

BoozyBabe wrote:
    Why can't I get a bf like you!!!:D

I come with a waxed sack, I can be yours for only 49.99 inc P&P

has anyone tried using an epilator hair takes ages to grow back(1 week and a half) and soft too pain is factor but its easy to get used to!
    I'd def reccommend it:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

Well, the other girls who got it done said that their bfs would love it.
    So I thought, since i like it, I might suggest it to my gf, and if she said yes i would pay for her to go to a health spa and spend the day there etc etc....
    If she doesnt like the idea, she can say no.... cant she...
    im not asking her to walk around the world am I... :rolleyes:
    But I ask this of the girls who did get it done (and went through all that pain). Did they do it for
    A) The fun.
    B) beauty reasons
    C) their boyfriends.

Well?

johnwoods wrote:
    I come with a waxed sack, I can be yours for only 49.99 inc P&P

Can I get that gift wrapped???? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NikNik

has anyone tried using an epilator hair takes ages to grow back(1 week and a half) and soft too pain is factor but its easy to get used to!

Seconded.
    Plus you don't have to keep spending money going back for waxing and you don't have to wait so long for re-growth cuz it works on hair only a couple of mm long. So you're smooth all year-round :D

My God, that sounds WAY too painful. Waxing's painful enough as it is, but pulling them out almost 1 at a time!!!!!!:eek:

Are you talking a Brazilian with an epilator or what?

Oh, & what about ingrowns?

(You know the way men go when they see another guy getting a knock on the nads? Well that's how I'm going right now just thinking of the pain!!):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I got the back and shoulders done a few weeks ago and I can honestly say it was the most painfull experience of my life. I nearly fúcking cried. I'd like to think I have a high pain threshold as I've been for pyseo on my back and I thought the pain the pyseo put me through could not be beaten. It can and it was. I had 2 pints of bud before hand (was early morning - I wish I'd had a bottle of JD)and was a bit tipsy when I went in. I sobered straight up after the first rrriiippppp.

However it was worth it and I'm going back again (god help me)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NikNik

BoozyBabe wrote:
    My God, that sounds WAY too painful. Waxing's painful enough as it is, but pulling them out almost 1 at a time!!!!!!:eek:

Are you talking a Brazilian with an epilator or what?

(You know the way men go when they see another guy getting a knock on the nads? Well that's how I'm going right now just thinking of the pain!!):D

I use it nearly everywhere - underarms n all ! You get used to it, same as waxing. Not exactly one at a time....now THAT would be painfull:eek:! Some come with a numbing bar on the nozzle which helps. It's not as messy as waxing and pretty quick to use. Had it for years & couldn't live without it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Can you not get it premanently removed from your back and shoulders using lasers or whatever...

Seems like too much pain to do again and again.

NikNik wrote:
    I use it nearly everywhere - underarms n all ! You get used to it, same as waxing. Not exactly one at a time....now THAT would be painfull:eek:! Some come with a numbing bar on the nozzle which helps. It's not as messy as waxing and pretty quick to use. Had it for years & couldn't live without it.

Yea, I have an epilator for my legs, but never in a million years would've considered doing my bikini area with it. I mean, I can't even use it on the tops of my legs, only from just above knee down!!

I'm kinda curious now!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

daveg wrote:
    I got the back and shoulders done a few weeks ago and I can honestly say it was the most painfull experience of my life. I nearly fúcking cried. I'd like to think I have a high pain threshold as I've been for pyseo on my back and I thought the pain the pyseo put me through could not be beaten. It can and it was. I had 2 pints of bud before hand (was early morning - I wish I'd had a bottle of JD)and was a bit tipsy when I went in. I sobered straight up after the first rrriiippppp.

However it was worth it and I'm going back again (god help me)..

Ya big wimp...I get it done when i'm goin on beach holiday as I don't want to be looked at funny and have got it done numerous times. It is sore but not as sore as ya make out! I get it done on back, shoulders and on top of my arms and it is worth it, but when the hair comes back it gets all spotty. Is that normal or am I just an intelligent chimp?

Kersh wrote:
    But I ask this of the girls who did get it done (and went through all that pain). Did they do it for
    A) The fun.
    B) beauty reasons
    C) their boyfriends.

Well?

Hehe, well mine was definatly for beauty and my boyfriend!!!

Kwinabeeste.... when you get all spotty I think thats ingrown hairs!! Maybe you should try a different beautician because some of them are ****e to be honest!! Does it get itchy?

• Advertisement
Advertisement