Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Online trading sites???

Options
  • 23-11-2005 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Where do you trade online???

I'm new to the game and am looking for a cheap online trading site, preferably uk based with a decent rep.

So i ask where do you trade and what are the costs associated with trading there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

Hey. I was/am in your shoes with looking to trade in shares but not to a big ammount. I recently signed up to http://www.sharewatch.com/. They have an Irish base down in Cork so its relatively user friendly. They are by far the cheapest in Ireland to deal with. They are an excution only site which means they only carry out your transaction and don't advise etc. Thats why they say there costs are so low because they say the information is available everywhere so there is no need for them to do it.
    Its a pretty simple service graphs and stuf but not overly complicated. I find it pretty ok. I'm up about 3% (woo hoo) on my few Ryanair shares and want to get a few bob together to buy Paddy Power shares which took a nice tumble during the week.
    AIB online with Goodbody do a great service but you'll be paying for for it.
    Davy stockborkers etc.
    A whole host of English sites which will give poor Irish listings as well.
    Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭logonapr

Have a look at Internaxx. http://www.internax.com/

I use them and find them great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

forget shares unless your investing for the very long term with significant amount, invest in a business even a part/time one and keep reinvesting the profits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

forget shares unless your investing for the very long term with significant amount, invest in a business even a part/time one and keep reinvesting the profits

Wouldn't you also have to have a large amount of money and be in it for the long haul to invest in a private business?

But anyway for a cheap broker check out www.keytrade.com, they don't speak the best english however. But they do the job nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 john_john

forget shares unless your investing for the very long term with significant amount

That seems like a highly uneducated remark to make, if i choose to invest in firms with high beta's then the return can be very decent in both the short and the long term.
    invest in a business even a part/time one and keep reinvesting the profits

What did you think shares are??? it is investing in business - large public companies.

I think i'm gonna go with hoodlessbrennan they seem to be the cheapest online site available - £7 per deal, no maintance fees. Draw backs are you have to have a sterling account and get your solicitor to ok setting up the account, but thats instead of dealing with crest.

Thanks for the advice tho peeps

• Advertisement

john_john wrote:
    That seems like a highly uneducated remark to make, if i choose to invest in firms with high beta's then the return can be very decent in both the short and the long term.

What did you think shares are??? it is investing in business - large public companies.

I think i'm gonna go with hoodlessbrennan they seem to be the cheapest online site available - £7 per deal, no maintance fees. Draw backs are you have to have a sterling account and get your solicitor to ok setting up the account, but thats instead of dealing with crest.

Thanks for the advice tho peeps

high beta=high risk
    im not uneducated on this topic i have a degree in finance and know many financial professionals who agree with me. If share trading was so easy fund managers wouldnt be underperforming market indicies etc.
    a small investor has limited knowledge(assymetric information),transaction costs are high, diversification reduces risk but reduces return and is difficult to do when you dont have large amount of capital.
    with a small business ,you run it, you have all the information,you decide what to do with profits,you have the flexibility to change rapidly etc etc
    dont get me wrong equities bonds etc have a place but more like the way warren buffet use's them.guys with years of experience trading as their profession still lose their shirts what makes you think your anything special?,i am just giving my opinion that most people would be better investing their capital in a business no matter how small and continually reinvesting the profits and growing their business portfolio rather than gambling on shares short term,im totally for long term deiversified investing but it will only make you rich over a long time.with your own businesses you could be rich in a third of the time.how many millionares do you know of that have made their money purely from trading??? those that have have been very good traders/investors and also got lucky to a certain extent.
    basically the odd's of creating significant wealth for the average man is greater in entrepreneurship than in investment

Wouldn't you also have to have a large amount of money and be in it for the long haul to invest in a private business?

But anyway for a cheap broker check out www.keytrade.com, they don't speak the best english however. But they do the job nicely.

not huge amount of capital required to start a business,building a business and selling is the surest way to wealth
    yes you have to be in for long haul but not as long as with blue chips,much less time but increased risk but not as much risk as day trading/short term trading(gambling)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 john_john

Ok first of all Ron i appreciate that you are giving me your advice. However you've made several rather massive assumptions -

1. You assume i'm investing with an ignorant attitude of get rich quick without working. For me this will be an alternative to saving money in a bank machine.

2. You assume that i dont invest in myself/ my own businesses.

3. You assume that i have the time available to spend setting up a new venture (and the education, motivation and business savy).

Yeah entrepreneurs are the way forward.

And i'd be from the school of the effient market theory so i think you can offset the costs of a professional broker by doing your research and investing smart in growth area's.

efficent market theory assumes all information is already priced into the share! so its pointless doing your own research if you beleive in a fully efficient market!
    "Under the efficient market hypothesis, any time you buy and sell securities, you're engaging in a game of chance, not skill. If markets are efficient and current, it means that prices always reflect all information, so there's no way you'll ever be able to buy a stock at a bargain price."
    even without large broker fees you still have the spread on bid offer price which is a cost which can be significant on lightly traded shares.as soon as you buy a share you instantly lose the value of the spread which you must recover to break even.
    p.s i was directing my advice to you alone im talking generally to all looking at this board considering investment to build wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

I think the thread was to see the "best (or cheapest) online trading " in ireland.
    Lets stick to that only :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

ASTRACLUB - don't dig up 3 year old threads O_O

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement