Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Low-Floor Bus Route - 20B

Options
  • 23-11-2005 5:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=7089&lang=ENG&loc=1850
    A further Dublin Bus Route is fully converted to Low-Floor Bus Operation
    17 November 2005
    A further Dublin Bus Route is fully converted to Low-Floor Bus Operation

Callely launches new accessible bus services on No. 20B Route

Speaking today (Thursday, 17th November 2005) at the launch of new accessible bus services on the No. 20B Dublin Bus Route, Minister Callely said that "All new buses purchased for the services of Dublin Bus since the year 2000 have been low-floor wheelchair accessible and this policy is continuing. Indeed, from a situation in 1999 when Dublin Bus had very few low-floor buses, the position has now been reached where over 50% of the current Dublin Bus fleet is composed of low-floor wheelchair accessible buses."

The Minister went on to say:"the low-floor buses now coming on-stream are being introduced into service on a route by route basis to provide consistency of service for people with mobility and sensory impairments. At this stage, Dublin Bus has fully converted over 50 routes to low-floor bus operation. As of today the No. 20B Route will be amongst those served by low-floor buses and this will provide accessible public transport for Dublin Bus's customers in the Beaumont, Donnycarney, Fairview and City Centre areas. The decision to convert this route was taken by Dublin Bus following consultation with members of the local community and is further evidence of the companys commitment to providing public transport for all passengers."

ENDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

it's all well and good having wheelchair accessible buses but the thing is it's almost impossible to fit on a bus at rush hour or a luas for that matter, so it would be quite difficult to communte to work at peak time hours and hold down a full time job unless you had some kind of private transport.

it always amazes me that places try and cater for wheelchair users by making toilets etc accessible but then inadvertingly make it inaccessible by adding stairs that you have to climb up to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I have to say, I was at a conference during the summer where there was a series of workshops, one with the Taxi federation and one with a representative of Dublin bus. I went to the Dublin bus workshop due to my using Dublin bus on an almost daily basis.

I as a visually impaired commuter had my own issues, but I was disgusted at the lack of respect and general bad attitude the Dublin bus rep. had towards people who attended the workshop who were mobility impaired/used wheelchairs etc. The guy, Raymond Coyne I believe his name was, was quite dismissive of their concerns and he seemed to have the general attitude, "we've gotten these low floor buses now so why you have issues still is beyond me". I expressed my concern about his attitude at the time and also e-mailed some local media etc. but alas nothing came of it.

There is only provision of space for one wheelchair user and if this is already taken by a buggy (as often happens) then the wheelchair user must wait for another bus, which might not always be low floor. The drivers are sometimes quite impatient and I know how dishearteninig/frustrating it can be to feel like everyone on the bloody bus is staring at you willing you to hurry up so they can get a move on. I understand it can also be difficult at times to maneauver a wheelchair so it's positioned against the bulkhead in the way that is required "for safety reasons".

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Let me find a contact for you.

one of my lecturers is completely blind and she uses the luas to get in and out of college (st james hospital) and a guide dog i don't really know how she does it to be honest, i don't think she goes at busy times though. she also goes cycling/ swimming (with the help of her partner) and lives a very active life. she uses the computer program Jaws to enable her to do her college work and is also the only person in the whole school of OT to ever get a scholarship.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Is that Bethan Collins?

She's fantastic, have met her a few times.

Had a bit of a panic on the train home this evening, they weren't announcing the stations and the scrolling signs with the stations weren't operating and in the dark it's difficult to see out the windows so was sure I'd missed my stop. Was lucky enough to meet a neighbour though so made it home.

• Advertisement

yep im seeing her tomorrow at the open day in TCD if you want to say hello she may be around.

Bethan is possibly one of our best lecturers and probably a very good role model for all the blind people out there. she also one of our hardest markers as she has high standards :(!

it;s always awkward asking someone beside you if it's the right stop, but you might be able to just count the number of times the train stops to get to your station or use an alarm clock or vibrator on your phone to go off at around the time it takes to reach the stop.

Advertisement