Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is my computer worth?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

was afraid of that, may just put it on adverts for €500 or €450 and see what they haggle me down to, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Hi Guys,

What do you reckon I could/should sell this Lenovo Y580 laptop for?

Intel Core i5 3210M
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M (15" with 1920 x 1080 resolution)
    750HDD
    120GB SSD
    8GB of ram

about 3 years old, perfect condition bought for about 1000 but the ssd is only a few months old, I added it in.

I was thinking 500 maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

Core 2 Duo E6550
    6GB RAM
    Geforce 630
    DVD Drive
    Wireless Card
    500GB SATA HD
    320GB SATA HD

How much you reckon I'd get for this? The machine is 7 years old and never crashed once, although the video card slot is a little loose (but works fine, just if the machine gets moved sometimes you need to reseat it, I made a mod to the case to help it stay in place.), and the network socket was dead on arrival when the motherboard was new 7 years ago, but other than that it was perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

J_Dublin15 wrote: »
    Core 2 Duo E6550 €10
    6GB RAM €20-30
    Geforce 630 €40
    DVD Drive if sata then €10
    Wireless Card depends on spec, maybe €10-20
    500GB SATA HD €10-20
    320GB SATA HD €10-20

Less than €150 at best by my call. Hanging it up for network storage might be worth more to you.

Yeah, I thought so, it's a really good machine, very reliable, although I guess the rsesale value has long since gone, I actually still use it as a general purpos edesktop machine, for some old games etc and it works really well. though considering using my Spectre X360 as a desktop replacement rather than replacing this machine, but I never liked using laptops as desktop replacements...

DVD is SATA.
    Wireless can take b/g/n.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I thought so, it's a really good machine, very reliable, although I guess the rsesale value has long since gone, I actually still use it as a general purpos edesktop machine, for some old games etc and it works really well. though considering using my Spectre X360 as a desktop replacement rather than replacing this machine, but I never liked using laptops as desktop replacements...

DVD is SATA.
    Wireless can take b/g/n.

You could stick something like Bodhi Linux on it, and use it as a GP machine, it'd run perfectly for another few years at least. You'd still be able to play some games, depending on your library with Steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It would be perfectly fine for Windows 7 either. Using an E6550 based-PC with 4GB of ram at my parents house at the moment writing this. Perfect as a desktop machine and expect it to remain that way for another while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

DVD is SATA.
    Wireless can take b/g/n.

I'd be inclined to use it as a PLEX server for Movies & TV shows. Match it up with either Firestick or Chromecast and you can play movies straight to your TV which is useful.

An OS refresh with Windows 10 which is out in a couple of days might do the trick for you with some housekeeping if the PC is a little slow and full of seven years of bloat.

Linux could be a option if that's your thing or installing VMware. If your after a barebones no frills media box PC you could do worse than one of these.

http://www.ebuyer.com/702840-hp-260-g1-desktop-mini-pc-k8l27ea-abu?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&gclid=CNih17an8cYCFSQIwwodGa4OHA#fo_c=951&fo_k=dc5e9381e70ef8801ca262b456e4a0d3&fo_s=gplauk&mkwid=s0WJUJfFS_dc&pcrid=51482417219&pkw=&pmt=

It would be perfectly fine for Windows 7 either. Using an E6550 based-PC with 4GB of ram at my parents house at the moment writing this. Perfect as a desktop machine and expect it to remain that way for another while yet.

They're obviously faster than I had given credit for! Is my pricing off then?

I actually reinstalled WIndows 7 on it for the first time since it was installed in late 2009 a couple of months ago, it's till a pretty speedy machine!

I may well use it as a machine to test Windows 10 out as well to be honest, before deciding whether to upgrade my laptop so that's a good call.

I actually built the machine in July 2007, at the time the tech in there was leading edge, the E6550 was only out afew days, same with the motherboard and the drives, it was leading edge at the time technology wise.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

the network socket was dead on arrival when the motherboard was new 7 years ago, but other than that it was perfect.

I use a self build here that I built in June 2007 with a E6750 CPU and 4 Gig of RAM. I have a raid 0 setup too which really makes a difference to speed (nothing mission critical in the event of a disaster) I also keep an Acronis image of it so I can have a clean install in 20 - 30 Mins when I need to give it a little boost.

My point is, that even though some machines are old by technology standards
    and have very little resale value, they can be great work horses and are more than adequate for every day use and even more.

Anyway, I'm a tad curious as to why you accepted a new board for a new build back then with a DOA Network socket?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

The machine was pretty expensive to build, all of the components were pretty much premium, the hard drivers were Samsung Spinpoints and honestly even if you do diangostics onthem now they report back very good condition, The RAM was pretty expensive, the motherboard cost me close to €200, but was one of the best investments I ever made,

Honestly from a stability point of view it's the best machine I ever built, I installed Vista on it in 2007 and never ha da single crash, I had some teeth problems with Windows 7 in 2009 for the first few weeks after launch where the machine would randomly blue screen and turn itself off, but following an OS update, that problem went away and it hasn't frozen or crashed or blue screened or rebooted since.

I never used the LAN to be honest. I hooked a wireless card up to it and the fact when I installed Windows on it, the fact that the LAN wasn't detected didn't bother me, I assumed it was driver. Then a few months later I saw that it wasn't being detected even in BIOS I realised it was dead, but, I figured the board was unlikely to die, and so I proved right as it's going 8 years later no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

Dell Inspiron 1525
    Intel core 2 duo T8100 2.1GHz, 4gb, 240GB HDD.
    Keyboard, laptop case etc in good order.

Laptop screen is not working but works ok with external monitor.

Anybody want make me an offer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Late 2010 13" 2.4 Ghz i3 dual core Macbook Pro, with NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB, 8GB Ram and 500GB Western Digital Caviar HD. Pretty much immaculate condition. Latest iOS of course and MS Office 2011 for Mac.

Out of curiosity, how much I'd get towards a potential upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I'd say you will have to come down a good bit from your listed price anyways. But you can always leave it up at that for a few days to see if you get any interest.

You could build the equivalent or better for less, as prices for newer components are cheaper now for the same performance. Nice case though, its the Corsair 600T if you want to add the name of it to your ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I'd say you will have to come down a good bit from your listed price anyways. But you can always leave it up at that for a few days to see if you get any interest.

You could build the equivalent or better for less, as prices for newer components are cheaper now for the same performance. Nice case though, its the Corsair 600T if you want to add the name of it to your ad.
    what sort of price do you think i should have on it to be fair? i have an offer of 700 cash, a 3 year old toshiba laptop and the newest version of apple tv.

what sort of price do you think i should have on it to be fair? i have an offer of 700 cash, a 3 year old toshiba laptop and the newest version of apple tv.

Have a look on adverts for the price that desktops sold, search for your cpu and tick the sold box. One similar to yours sold for 850, though had newer GPU and slightly higher ram.

You will know if its priced too high if you get no comments at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

hey guys, debating selling my PC cause i have little time to play it and wont for the foreseeable future :(

It was built in Summer 2013 with help from the lads here and this is the spec;

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€205.99
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Intel/AMD|€29.29
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€83.99
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9|€51.59
    PowerColor PCS+ HD7870 Myst. Edition 2GB GDDR5(UEFI READY)|€200.54
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€57.74
    Cooltek Antiphon Black, ohne Netzteil|€64.00
    be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7 450W|€49.59
    Samsung SH-118AB schwarz|€12.62
    LG 22EA53VQ-P|€134.16
    Sharkoon Drakonia Gaming Laser Mouse|€24.49
    LogiLink Gaming & Grafikdesign Mauspad XXL|€2.84
    ASUS PCE-N15|€14.90
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€950.73

since then ive added a

128gb Samsung SSD 840 series pro
    CM Quickfire Ultimate Mechanical Keyboard
    blu ray disk drive

upgraded the graphics card to a Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Boost OC 2048MB

and upgraded the PSU to a Seasonic M12II Bronze Evo Edition - 620 Watt

thanks in advance

• Advertisement

hey guys, debating selling my PC cause i have little time to play it and wont for the foreseeable future :(

It was built in Summer 2013 with help from the lads here and this is the spec;

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€205.99
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Intel/AMD|€29.29
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€83.99
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9|€51.59
    PowerColor PCS+ HD7870 Myst. Edition 2GB GDDR5(UEFI READY)|€200.54
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€57.74
    Cooltek Antiphon Black, ohne Netzteil|€64.00
    be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7 450W|€49.59
    Samsung SH-118AB schwarz|€12.62
    LG 22EA53VQ-P|€134.16
    Sharkoon Drakonia Gaming Laser Mouse|€24.49
    LogiLink Gaming & Grafikdesign Mauspad XXL|€2.84
    ASUS PCE-N15|€14.90
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€950.73

since then ive added a

128gb Samsung SSD 840 series pro
    CM Quickfire Ultimate Mechanical Keyboard
    blu ray disk drive

upgraded the graphics card to a Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Boost OC 2048MB

and upgraded the PSU to a Seasonic M12II Bronze Evo Edition - 620 Watt

thanks in advance

I would put it up for 3/4s of what you paid for it, but realistically you are looking at around 2/3s. Still a decent pc in a decent case with a decent power supply. Might be better off selling the keyboard seperate (would have been interested if you had been selling it a couple of months ago!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

Antec One
    Corsair 430W
    AMD A10-5800K
    Corsair Hydro Series H60
    ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M
    Asus AMD Radeon R9 270X 1120MHz 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0
    Corsair 16GB 1600Mhz Vengeance Red
    Samsung 250GB 840 Series
    LG DVD-W
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Thinking of selling this, but would I be better off selling it in parts? Cheers

segasega wrote: »
    Antec One €30 if good condition
    Corsair 430W €30
    AMD A10-5800K €50
    Corsair Hydro Series H60 €50
    ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M €50
    Asus AMD Radeon R9 270X 1120MHz 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0 €120
    Corsair 16GB 1600Mhz Vengeance Red €70
    Samsung 250GB 840 Series €70-80
    LG DVD-W €10
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, wouldn't factor into price. Might be able to push a few euro on with W10, even if just to eliminate the adverts tax.

Thinking of selling this, but would I be better off selling it in parts? Cheers

Iffy on value of the AMD chip and board. Still a very capable gaming machine if you stuck in an i3 tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

Iffy on value of the AMD chip and board. Still a very capable gaming machine if you stuck in an i3 tbh.

So you think it would be easier to sell in parts than while?

segasega wrote: »
    So you think it would be easier to sell in parts than while?

Well if you're dropping the PC altogether it'd probably be easier to lose whole, as no gamer aside from deadset fanboys want an AMD chip, or the uneducated I suppose. For upgrades, just lose the chip and board, nothing wrong with anything else listed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi,

Not sure if my desktop is just for scrap, but would like to find out for sure before I make any rash decisions:

Its a Dell 5150 (circa 2003) running Lubuntu/WinXP.
    Pentium 4 3GHz
    1Gb RAM
    100Gb Hard Drive.

Is it worth anything? Could it even be used as a NAS?

Hi,

Not sure if my desktop is just for scrap, but would like to find out for sure before I make any rash decisions:

Pentium 4 3GHz
    1Gb RAM
    100Gb Hard Drive.

Open it up, it likely hasn't any sata connections, probably all ide connectors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hi,

Pentium 4 3GHz
    1Gb RAM
    100Gb Hard Drive.

As the last person said, if you have SATA connections then you could do something with it. If your connectors are IDE, then there's not really much point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

How much is my computer worth? :)

i5-4690K
    8GB Crucial Ballistix RAM
    MSI GTX970
    ASUS z97 pro wifi ac motherboard
    bequiet 700 or 750w psu I can't remember exactly
    Coolermaster hyper 212 evo

2 Benq G2420HDBL monitors

I'm looking to sell everything due to change of interest and just wondering how much they are worth. Condition is all very good regarding the CPU parts. Never overclocked. Had them for maybe a year or so but graphics card is only a few months old, have softcopy receipt. Monitors are a little dirty/dusty but absolutely no dead pixels, and always been run at lower than usual brightness so not much stress on them.

• Advertisement

How much is my computer worth? :)

i5-4690K €225
    8GB Crucial Ballistix RAM €30
    MSI GTX970 €300
    ASUS z97 pro wifi ac motherboard €125?
    bequiet 700 or 750w psu I can't remember exactly €75
    Coolermaster hyper 212 evo €20

2 Benq G2420HDBL monitors.

Absolutely stinks of our forum :pac:

You could stick the PC up for about €1000 on Adverts, given its worth about that new, and it'd be one of the best valued machines on the site. Given the spec there's no need to make a loss imo

I've no idea the price of the monitors, maybe 80% of retail?

Advertisement