Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom trials 5Mbps broadband service

• 23-11-2005 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

For all the people who don't read the IrelandOffline forums it appears that eircon are going to finally upgrade upload speeds. Taken from this thread from damien.m
    damien.m wrote:
    Old 1Mb Downstream / 128k Upstream
    New 2Mb Downstream / 256k Upstream

Old 2Mb Downstream / 128k Upstream
    New 3Mb Downstream / 384k Upstream

Old 3Mb Downstream / 256k Upstream
    New 4Mb Downstream / 384k Upstream

Old 4Mb Downstream / 256k Upstream
    New 5Mb Downstream / 512k Upstream
    Not bad but this was needed a long time ago. They will occur during January.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Ta, nice to hear :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

That's great news. How likely is it that the other companies will follow in style? I desperately want EsatBT to increase their upload speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

But this still isn't official though right? I hope they were good sources that leaked this info, it'd be great to finally have a decent enough upload and that extra little oomph in download. I'm just wondering why its happening...
    exiztone wrote:
    That's great news. How likely is it that the other companies will follow in style? I desperately want EsatBT to increase their upload speeds.

Extremely likely, seeing as EsatBT and UTV are basically just reselling Eircoms product...err...or whatever, bottom line is, if Eircom make changes, the other companies are certain to follow suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

exiztone wrote:
    *sigh* BT are just reselling eircon's BB after all they are a monopoly! Don't ever forget that fact; it's the reason Irish internet and penetration figures are as good as Turkey or Mexico and other Higly developed countries </sarcasm> BT lines and UTV lines will increase at the same time as eircons because THEY ARE THE SAME. They all belong to our horrid monopoly :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

exiztone wrote:
    if eircom do it, BT and UTV will follow suit as they are selling the same package

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

But this still isn't official though right? I hope they were good sources that leaked this info

Check the news in the morning. My information is rock solid.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

damien.m wrote:

nothing on the likes of enn.ie yet ;)
    I believe you though :D

[EDIT]
    there we go http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single5715

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I'm sitting pretty on a delightful 3meg download/512k upload thanks to digiweb metro...
    It's hard to believe that I was once stuck on the terrible 512k download and 128k upload. Really is a load of crap that they (eircom) can still get away with their anal rape of irish customers.

256k should have been the basic upload for users when broadband was first "invented" in Ireland. Prehistoric isn't the word...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

damien.m wrote:

It sure was. Great news...can't wait for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single5715

23.11.2005 - From next January, Eircom and its various wholesale customers will be introducing new broadband packages with download speeds of up to 5Mbps and 512k upstream. So far no prices have been indicated for the new packages.
    Siliconrepublic.com has learned that wholesale customers of Eircom’s bitstream broadband have received a letter from the company informing them of the impending upgrade.

It is understood that Eircom has told other licensed operators (OLOs) it will be testing the new speeds in four exchanges between 5 and 12 December and, if the trials are successful all OLO customers will be upgraded in January.

Already one wholesale customer of Eircom’s bitstream service has indicated its various product offerings for January based on the upgrade.

Netsource has revealed that its Office@Home product will increase from the existing 1Mb downstream and 128k upstream to 2Mb downstream and 256k upstream; its Origin product will increase from 1Mb and 128k to 2Mb downstream and 256k upstream; its Origin Plus 2Mb service will be boosted to 3Mb downstream and 384k upstream; its Enterprise product will increase from 3Mb downstream to 4Mb upstream; and its top level 4Mb Corporate service will increase from 4Mb downstream and 256k upstream to 5Mb downstream and 512k upstream.

Netsource sales and marketing director Louise McKeown commented: “With the introduction of new speeds, particularly with respect to upstream speeds, solutions such as voice over IP (VoIP) becomes a more realistic proposition. A number of clients have a requirement for higher broadband speeds and these upgrades will provide our current and future clients with a pure business class broadband service which will facilitate teleworking, private networking, video conferencing, online backup and of course VoIP.”

At least one other OLO has confirmed with siliconrepublic.com that it has received the letter revealing the impending trials.

Eircom’s move to higher speeds has been long anticipated as well as an impending move into ADSL2+ services.

An Eircom spokesman told siliconrepublic.com that while the company could not comment on the trials or proposed speed increases: “Any product that’s available on Eircom’s network and offered by another operator will also be available to Eircom customers. We will make an announcement in due course.”

The news of a potential speed increase was welcomed by broadband lobby group IrelandOffline. Spokesman Damien Mulley commented: “Increases in speed, especially in upload speed are always to be welcomed. Twice now Eircom reacted to competition in the market by giving people speed increases, a very obvious example of why competition is important and shouldn't be stiffled.

“Even in the past week competition has shown that consumers can get up to 24Mmbps on their lines when this time last year, with a lot less competition, consumers were offered 1mbps. When ComReg and the Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources eventually sort out the local loop unbundling (LLU) mess I think we can expect to see these speed jumps become a very regular occurrence,” Mulley said.

By John Kennedy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

So what we are looking at is another DSL upgrade, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like my old upload limit of 128k will be 384k, thats 3 times the amount, I am a gamer and this is bound to have a good effect on counter-strike source and xbox live? It should lower my ping slightly as our current connections are slightly bottled with the current tiny upload?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Great news, but what is the smarter move.. (pun intended - I don't get smart on my line)

I have 1MB/128 with BT... and was thinking about getting the 2MB offer with BT line rental anyway... but that there will be a 3MB/384KB - I want that!!

Upgrade to 2MB service now and get the respective upgrade later in Jan or wait until the new offers are out and hope the prices will be lower...

Any thoughts, ideas, insights?

Great news, but what is the smarter move.. (pun intended - I don't get smart on my line)

I have 1MB/128 with BT... and was thinking about getting the 2MB offer with BT line rental anyway... but that there will be a 3MB/384KB - I want that!!

Upgrade to 2MB service now and get the respective upgrade later in Jan or wait until the new offers are out and hope the prices will be lower...

Any thoughts, ideas, insights?
    My advice would be to get the 2mb upgrade with line rental now and get that out of the way. When the new speeds kick in you'll automatically get them.
    When the new upgrades are happenning (if the last upgrade is anything to go by) things will get a little hectic with the various providers so ringing them at that time to upgrade will probably involve long delays.
    As for the price, in the past BT have passed lower prices onto existing customers (unlike others). In any case, any new prices/offers will probably be limited to new connections.
    I can't really see any price reductions tbh except for new connections maybe.

merge threads ??

its only a minor upgrade but the increase in upload speeds is a god send for those who are using by €ircon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Smart and NTL will have to up the ante now. Maybe things are funally starting to get interesting!

nothing of note will happen until the sort out the LLU

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Maskhadov wrote:
    nothing of note will happen until the sort out the LLU

Well NTL has nothing to do with Eircom, their network is completely independent of Eircom. Same for Digiweb Metro and Clearwire.

Even the LLU players can easily upgrade to ADSL2+ in areas where they have already unbundled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I wish we all catch up with everybody else soon! All my mates in France have 24MB connections with free TV, free Phone, no download limit... :( So jealous!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

ah who needs 24 mb lines theres nothing to use on it, 3 mb is just enough the upload speed increase will help sort out the gaming and voip probs. Hopefully esat will up the cap to at least 30 this time aswell.

bk wrote:
    Well NTL has nothing to do with Eircom, their network is completely independent of Eircom. Same for Digiweb Metro and Clearwire.

Even the LLU players can easily upgrade to ADSL2+ in areas where they have already unbundled.
    True. BT have about 40 exchanges unbundled (incl. my local exchange) and they've done nothing except offering business packages on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Kristok wrote:
    ah who needs 24 mb lines
    Me? :p

if you give me one reason ill admit defeat but i cant imagine what it could be well apart from super fast bt downloads but even then ive tried them on faster connections and they never go past 3 or 4 mb for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

only thing ud need that connection for 24mb would be if u wanted to do some hosting etc from home and even at that ud b more interested in the upload rather than dload.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Kristok wrote:
    if you give me one reason ill admit defeat but i cant imagine what it could be well apart from super fast bt downloads but even then ive tried them on faster connections and they never go past 3 or 4 mb for me.

IPTV, Video on Demand. Theres 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

great news!

I like the sound of 3x upload speed, 3 meg upgrade isn't too bad either, at least we move forward, slowly but still progress.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah shud be able to send those emails alot faster now and make online gaming better, will this new upload limit see us with lower pings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I don't think it'll lower pings for a single player, but if there are couple of players playing, like you play PC MP, and your friend Xbox live, I think it'll help keep the pings steady and low as usual

• Advertisement

skywalker wrote:
    IPTV, Video on Demand. Theres 2.

indeed but you would need the services and at the moment i dont see any sites that require more than 512 usually let alone 3 or even 24mb. Only place thats taken off is in asia afaik. I think 3mb would do me and most other heavy downloaders just fine. Not saying 24 wouldnt be nice but theres just nothing worth using it on.

Advertisement