Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom trials 5Mbps broadband service

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason is that Eircom is simply a very slow-moving company that feels a need to have a rigid procedure in place for everything. The reality is that the LLU guys can deliver service far beyond what Eircom can do with probably not all that much effort. This is a very good reason why LLU should be supported. Magnet has delivered their 24Mbps service to somebody who fails Eircom's test, for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

TBC, you're right (so don't change your mind!).. I'm just saying they won't, because they don't have to. It is unfair, and there's far more unfairness (if there is such a word) in the recent USO. Blaster, in fairness when you are as big as eircom, there will always be the need for rigid procedures.. that's not to say that offering shared install costs on different tiers, like TBC wants, is not a no-no, but procedures will always be rigid in an organisation of that size (for good reason).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Customer Notification 29th November 2005
    There is a planned upgrade for systems connected through four exchanges : Malahide, Walkinstown , Carrigaline and Claremorris. The upgrade is part of a test which will increase the download and upload speeds of customers on these exchanges commencing December 5th at 20:00 Hrs ( 8 PM ). The upgrade is expected to be completed by 08:00 Hrs on Tuesday 6th December. Customers should not experience any service downtime during the upgrade – however, if any user does experience a break in a session service can be reestablished after two minutes by rebooting their Broadband Modem.

I'm on the Carrigaline exhange, speeds are still 1024/128 with UTV Clicksilver.

stats.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

daveyjoe wrote:
    I'm on the Carrigaline exhange, speeds are still 1024/128 with UTV Clicksilver.

stats.png

Keep us updated as it might be tomorrow:) :D;)

zuma wrote:
    Keep us updated as it might be tomorrow:) :D;)
    Why the abundance of smilies??... Insider knowledge?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

daveyjoe wrote:
    Why the abundance of smilies??... Insider knowledge?

Ah no!
    Just happy to get the increased upload come Janurary.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

power down the modem and power it back up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I'm on the malahide exchange and there has been no change in speed even after powering down my router. Roll on January...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Obo

Looks like the test was delayed.
    http://www.netsource.ie/html/servicestatus.html
    There is a planned upgrade for systems connected through four exchanges : Malahide, Walkinstown , Carrigaline and Claremorris. The upgrade is part of a test which will increase the download and upload speeds of customers on these exchanges commencing December 7th at 20:00 Hrs ( 8 PM ). The upgrade is expected to be completed by 08:00 Hrs on Thursday 8th December. Customers should not experience any service downtime during the upgrade – however, if any user does experience a break in a session service can be re-established after two minutes by rebooting their Broadband Modem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Speeds have been updated to
    DSL Status: UP
    DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT
    DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED
    Downstream Rate: 3072 Kbps
    Upstream Rate: 384 Kbps
    Downstream Margin: 17 db
    Upstream Margin: 18 db
    Downstream Line Attenuation: 13
    Upstream Line Attenuation: 7
    Downstream Transmit Power: 0
    Upstream Transmit Power: 0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Oh baby, they are some nice stats.

stats2.png

I'm a happy camper, everything has just doubled for me here in Carrigaline!!!

edit: With regards to noise margin and attentuation is it better to be high or low?

It may (or may not, I dunno) be interesting for people to note that my noise margin has decreased. According to my googling that's a bad thing.

Again I don't know what I'm talking about, just did a bit of googling that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Noise margin = signal to noise ratio = higher is better
    line attenuation = loss of signal on the line = lower is better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Peanut wrote:
    Noise margin = signal to noise ratio = higher is better
    line attenuation = loss of signal on the line = lower is better
    What would be a healthy threshold?
    Mine is currently:
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048: 128
    SN Margin (dB) 31.00: 13.50
    Line Attenuation (dB) 34.00: 20.00
    CRC Errors 8: 0
    Also, are the CRC Errors anthing to worry about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Not sure what's a good value, but there's some general info at the end of this page.

The Alcatel Speedtouch Home I'm using also tells you the max. possible up & down rates on your line (as opposed to the currently used rates), which is probably more useful an indicator .

kaizersoze wrote:
    What would be a healthy threshold?
    Mine is currently:
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048: 128
    SN Margin (dB) 31.00: 13.50
    Line Attenuation (dB) 34.00: 20.00
    CRC Errors 8: 0
    Also, are the CRC Errors anthing to worry about?
    Have a look here, it helped me: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/388705.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I wont be able to support 3Mb/384 on my line it's simply packed with noise :(

Line Status ADSL Link Speed 2048 kbps 128 kbps
    SNR 6.5 dB 0.0 dB
    ATEN 52 dB 31 dB

LOL it's nver going to happen 256kbps up would mean I would be losing my line constantly forget about 384! Crap I really, really want NTL to upgrade me :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

on bt atm and haven't been upgraded to 3mbit/384k yet :(

daveyjoe wrote:
    Thanks for that Davey. Interesting reading.

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote:
    on bt atm and haven't been upgraded to 3mbit/384k yet :(
    Are you on one of the 4 test exchanges? Malahide, Walkinstown ,Carrigaline and Claremorris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

kaizersoze wrote:
    Thanks for that Davey. Interesting reading.

Yea thanks Davey. good read indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Drustan

Carrigaline Exchange here.

Clicksilver Plus was 2mb now 3mb as from 07:05 Thursday 08th Dec. Gonna do a line test to see if upload speed has increased also.

*Now what about the crappy cappy. 16Gb at 3mb, a/c will be frozen within one day of this speed. Scrap the Cap!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Ayashii

On Malahide exchange (had 3Mb before upgrade). First entry is download and next is upload. Noisy line by the looks of it however was downloading earlier at almost full speed using flashget.

Data rate
    4096 384

Noise margin
    13.5 15.0

Output power
    9.2 2.0

Attenuation
    42.5 26.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Drustan

Line test

2.58mps downstream
    316kps upstream

QOS: 99%
    RTT = 47ms
    MP = 16ms

Interesting on the upload speed though, up to now max transfer was 16kbs or there abouts, which would equal 128k, and yet taken from this thread it notes that old 2mb connections were 256. Anyone else on the same UTV package and had 128 speeds?

Downloading a file and speed showing 315KB/S

Anyhow i guess this is an improvement.

Drustan wrote:
    Interesting on the upload speed though, up to now max transfer was 16kbs or there abouts, which would equal 128k, and yet taken from this thread it notes that old 2mb connections were 256. Anyone else on the same UTV package and had 128 speeds?
    That was a typo in a earlier post. The old upload speed was (and still is for some of us) 128k
    CyberGhost wrote:
    Yea thanks Davey. good read indeed.
    I like the formula one guy has for calculating your line distance from the exchange.
    Your downstream line attenuation / 13.81. I don't know how "official" it is, but in my case it seems to be fairly accurrate.
    34 / 13.81 = 2.461 KM

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Drustan wrote:

No the 2m package was always 128k, what people are saying is that the old 1m/128k package is being upgraded to 2m/256k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

kaizersoze wrote:
    I like the formula one guy has for calculating your line distance from the exchange.
    Your downstream line attenuation / 13.81. I don't know how "official" it is, but in my case it seems to be fairly accurrate.
    34 / 13.81 = 2.461 KM
    I don't like it at all!! Using the formula, I have little chance of broadband here even if eircon increase the distance. Broadband can't work with attenuation of 90 dB?

I don't like it at all!! Using the formula, I have little chance of broadband here even if eircon increase the distance. Broadband can't work with attenuation of 90 dB?
    Maybe ADSL2+ will help you (if they ever roll it out). I think it increases the distance to 8 or 9 KM so the same formula probably doesn't apply.
    How far out are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Can someone please check to see if your pings are the same or better after the upgrade. Thanks.

Advertisement