Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax out on my car, will this work ?

Options
  • 23-11-2005 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Just curious about this:

My tax is out by 6 months on my car. Would it be possible to change the ownership to my girlfriend who is also insured on the car as a named driver and then when the new ownership cert is sent out, get her to tax the car without having to pay arrears ??

Just curious, no flaming please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I don't think you are allowed to ask for advice on how to break the law round these here parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

It seems like a technicality. This rich in this country are paying tax consultants a lot of money to not pay tax through technicalities and hitchs.

Like I said I was just curious.

Anyways, is there not an epidemic amongst Irish drivers to avoid any kind of monetary or penal burden related to motoring, ie: not paying for speeding fines, lawyers for speeding and getting off points, as with drink driving, etc.

Ive been driving for 7 odd years and I have got stopped for tax about twice.

My insurance doesn't require it.. although I always have been fully taxed n' NCT'd

Just saying is all..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes it is possible, but then you can't get fully comp insurance on the vehicle since it doesn't belong to you, and you're girlfriend can't be a named driver since it does belong to her.

Pay the tax you cheap git.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Just a tip!! I bought car about 7 months ago in garage.....they said they would send off stuff for tax and I would just receive a letter telling me how to pay....anyway waited 3-4 months(forgot about it half the time) and still nothing....rang up tax office and they said wait another week and if nothing ring back....waited and rang back....one on other line hadnt a clue but after 30 mins on phone found out they received nothing or if they did it hadnt been processed.....so she sent out forms....went into local Garda station and they just stamped form to say car was off road....didnt have to explain anything.....arrears gone!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

you could get form rf100a and state on it that the car has been off the road for the period that you have not taxed it, and get it signed by your local garda station. you would not be liable for any arrears.

however, that is assuming your car has been legaly off the road for that period of time and i could not condone or encourage this course of action ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

A couple of years ago I was sick in hospital for a few months and my car was off the road. When renewal came around I called into the Garda station and got a form stamped to say car was off the road, arrears gone! I thought I would have to prove it but the Guard asked no questions at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A couple of years ago I was sick in hospital for a few months and my car was off the road. When renewal came around I called into the Garda station and got a form stamped to say car was off the road, arrears gone! I thought I would have to prove it but the Guard asked no questions at all!

Yes it is very easy - no questions asked. In your case it is fully legal to do so as the car was actually off the road

Just a note to anyone planning this that did NOT have the car off the road: not paying motor tax is very minor compared to committing fraud by having the Guard sign the form

Should it emerge that during the period it was "off the road", you got a speed fine or something, you could face serious repercussions, possibly even a custodial sentence

Worth it for a couple of hundred bucks?

unkel wrote:
    Yes it is very easy - no questions asked. In your case it is fully legal to do so as the car was actually off the road

Just a note to anyone planning this that did NOT have the car off the road: not paying motor tax is very minor compared to committing fraud by having the Guard sign the form

Should it emerge that during the period it was "off the road", you got a speed fine or something, you could face serious repercussions, possibly even a custodial sentence

Worth it for a couple of hundred bucks?

Well the woman in tax office told me to go to the Garda and get form signed!!! I didnt even know you could do this...>I was just going to back pay the tax.....I always pay my tax when it is up and I dont really mind tax at all even thou its over 500 quid with car now! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Big Nelly wrote:
    Well the woman in tax office told me to go to the Garda and get form signed!!!

Sorry, Big Nelly, my post was not pointed directly to you. It looks like ownership of the car was never transferred to you, so the garage technically still owned it and as such was responsible for taxing it

You are only due to pay tax from the first day of the month that the car was registered in your name. I.e. if you bought the car in January, but only transferred ownership today, you only need to pay tax from the first of November. No need to have the Garda sign a form that the car was off the road. I guess the form you had signed was some transfer of ownership document

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    Sorry, Big Nelly, my post was not pointed directly to you. It looks like ownership of the car was never transferred to you, so the garage technically still owned it and as such was responsible for taxing it

You are only due to pay tax from the first day of the month that the car was registered in your name. I.e. if you bought the car in January, but only transferred ownership today, you only need to pay tax from the first of November. No need to have the Garda sign a form that the car was off the road. I guess the form you had signed was some transfer of ownership document

No probs man!! was just trying to say if the tax office are telling people to do this is cant be all that illegal....I cant remember what the form was I had to sign....just details about car....chassis number and so on.....had down bottom date of purchase and then you had to fill in when to tax from....she just told me to drop into station and the Garda would know what to do.....I handed it in....Garda knew all about them,......signed everything, put station mark on it and then told me that I would need to post off the form ASAP and dont leave it sitting around!!

Not sure if it was ownership transfer...didnt take much notice of it but it was a rf**** form....cant remember number:rolleyes:

This could be different in the original posters questions because he is knowing driving without tax and really this pi**s me off!! why not just pay your tax??? its not that difficult....can do online and everything now so can be done in a couple of mins!! really wish Ireland would introduce some sort of system that can tell when someone hasnt taxed there car.....dont the UK have that system installed now?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Big Nelly wrote:
    This could be different in the original posters questions because he is knowing driving without tax and really this pi**s me off!!

Why so angry about other peoples tax business? Do you get just as angry when big business defraud the gov?!

Advertisement