Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts in Sigs

Options
  • 23-11-2005 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

What is the official position regarding posters advertising companies/services in their sigs?

There seems to be a few of them floating about.
    I'd rather not name anyone at the moment as it may be quite ok and I don't want to offend anyone.

Given that posters are allowed specify a website in their public profile a simple text link like www.mysite.com or even a discreet logo acting as a click on link without further pimping doesn't seem excessive. But at least one poster has included prices for a service as well.

Is this a step to far? Should boards not be collecting revenue for this?

Personally I don't think paid ads should appear in sigs as it would be impossible to tell who has paid and who has not. It would be wide open to abuse. Just look at the way sig rules are flaunted now.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Well it is a public forum,
    Advertising is kept to a minimum and any business advertisement is usually snared straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you spot such an ad, report it to an Smod, or use the SIGPO - Notify thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

One discreet link is generally considered acceptable.

Advertisement