Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another SQL question

Options
  • 23-11-2005 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recomend a good tutorial that will explain stored procedures and triggers. Can't make sense of it.:confused:

Cheers
    ger...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

*shrug*
    I'm sure there'd be something like a walkthrough on ODN.. They seem daunting at first: but just get a grasp of what they actually are/about and remember the syntax. I don't really think a tutorial is necessary..

http://members.tripod.com/mdameryk/CreateOrclTrgr.htm
    (Presuming that you're using Oracle, based on your previous post..)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lawnkiller

If you are using MySQL the manual is written mostly like a tutorial with clearly set out sections. Its a relativly easy read and the user comments help in a big way with each section as they kinda answer some usually obvious questions that arise from the manual itself.

Found Here

quick desc. about each (off the top of my head):

Stored Procedures are SQL queries or instructions that are associated with a particular database for providing result sets from or performing operations on that database specifically.

Triggers are like stored procedures attached to tables within the database that occur when a specific event happens. e.g. you could make a trigger that copies a row from a table to another table whenever someone tries attempt a delete.

Like I said, they are off the top of my head so I'm open to change from DBAs out there.

Advertisement