Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Proxy configuration Script ... Script

• 23-11-2005 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I need to have a simple, luser-friendly clicky .bat script or similar that sets browser proxy settings to a specified .pac url.
    Min requiremenet is target OS: Win2K/XP, Browser: IE5.5/6 and let the users config their browser of choice.
    If there's a method to do any of Firefox, Opera et al aswell (preferably automatically) it would be a bonus.

A platform-independent method (some new fangled web technology/acronymn) would be golden.

I'm guessing IE settings are registry related, FF and Opera settings are in a config file.

Any help or poke in a right-ish direction is appreciated, Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Will post more later - can copy proxy.pac to wpad.dat and web share it

http://wpad/wpad.dat is used by IE and firefox on Automatic Configuration
    name resolution by DHCP / DNS

There are gotcha's in DHCP option 252 for IE where it cuts off the trailing character and it's case sensitive and you need must specify the port too.

DNS is easier
    if no http://wpad the it tries http://wpad.domain etc.

Opera needs to be pointed at it in it's settings :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

That sounds like the ticket, as long as the browser/system can be switched over at the click of a link (and a confirmation dialogue) as unfortunately, we are very restricted in the amount of work we can expect the user to do, and there are alot of users and machines.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You set up automatic configuration on the browser.
    Or you can push using active directory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I know you have to check a tickbox to enable auto-conf, but I'm unsure if we're *allowed* to expect the user to be capable of finding that checkbox and ticking it. I'm trying to leave as little work as possible for the user to do, and not from the goodness of my heart :v:
    AD is on the horizon, but isn't in place yet. Novell Netware is what's currently used.

At a guess there may be a registry setting to do it

you could setup a transparent proxy - but messy

there are IEAK settings buy you don't want to reinstall IE all over again

• Advertisement
Advertisement