Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos

• 23-11-2005 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

I was looking to buy a digital camcorder and noticed that Argos have a 20% sale on Camcorders at the moment so I had a look at their website and the price of the one I wanted was reduced from £350 to £280, a 20% discount. I figured the price here would be roughly €420 + €5 for the WEEE charge.

So off I went to an argos store to be told the price was €458, I thought this was the usual case of prices being higher here than in the UK. On my way out of the shop I looked at the catalogue price, it was €548.99, so tell me if I'm wrong but €548.99 - 20% is not €458. I went back to the counter to state this, I was greeted by a blank look when I tried to explain that 20% of 548.99 was around €110, the girl then told me that it said on their system that there is a €90 discount. €90 is not 20% of €548.99.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

masterK wrote:
    I was looking to buy a digital camcorder and noticed that Argos have a 20% sale on Camcorders at the moment so I had a look at their website and the price of the one I wanted was reduced from £350 to £280, a 20% discount. I figured the price here would be roughly €420 + €5 for the WEEE charge.

So off I went to an argos store to be told the price was €458, I thought this was the usual case of prices being higher here than in the UK. On my way out of the shop I looked at the catalogue price, it was €548.99, so tell me if I'm wrong but €548.99 - 20% is not €458. I went back to the counter to state this, I was greeted by a blank look when I tried to explain that 20% of 548.99 was around €110, the girl then told me that it said on their system that there is a €90 discount. €90 is not 20% of €548.99.

did you return the item /demand the extra off ?

or did you let them away with it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Where did you initially see "20% off" advertised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I didn't buy the item. I'm going to get it from Amazon instead for €420 delivered.

They have signs in their windows advertising 20% off, as well as on their website and on advertisements on TV. The offer ends today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Maybe it said "up to 20 off", with "up to" written in the typically tiny lettering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

masterK wrote:
    I didn't buy the item. I'm going to get it from Amazon instead for €420 delivered.

They have signs in their windows advertising 20% off, as well as on their website and on advertisements on TV. The offer ends today.

Are the website and tv ads not exclusily uk? OR do argos have an Irish site now (would like the online ordering to be an option here)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

the stuff on the current website is uk only. there will be a new Irish site at www.argos.ie.

Whether the website is UK only is beside the point, it said in the shop window 20% off, not up to 20% or any other variation. I've seen the ads on Irish TV as well. I even asked the girl at the counter and she told me there was 20% off but this came €90.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

masterK wrote:

Complain to the advertisement standards.

When you bought the camera on Amazon did you notice the price change at the final step? A lot of people don't notice the tax rate change to the Irish rate not that much different but worth noting

Complain to the advertisement standards.

When you bought the camera on Amazon did you notice the price change at the final step? A lot of people don't notice the tax rate change to the Irish rate not that much different but worth noting

I did, it only made a difference of €8 though.

Advertisement