Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Signal Boosters..

Options
  • 23-11-2005 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,

we got our gaff rewired (Dublin) and extra tv points put in - 5 in total (2 downstairs + 3 bedrooms). We are on basic NTL cable .The sham electrician we used put a 4 way booster in the attic and said he would leave it temporarily until he came back and put in a 5 way booster. The signal is'nt great, but is watchable the short term. Have'nt been able get hold of sham above now for the past couple of months and need to sort it out ourselves. We had paid him €150 for this, but have decided he's not even worth wasting time on anymore.

I just spoke to Pete's in Parnell St and he (uselessly) told me that they only do 4 way boosters and to try Argos.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a 5 way booster and where I might get one? Would this even improve the signal? Any other suggestions?

Any help appreciated

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Maplins in Blanch sold me an 8 way splitter/booster. They have a branch in Jervis st.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Hey dools

I have every room in my house wired for TV (8 points in total). All this is run from 1 feed from NTL. I have not used a booster.

To be honest a booster is not necessarilly needed for your 5 rooms.
    ( depending on how good the main feed into your house is)

In my case NTL point comes in to living room.This feeds into video first, output of video feeds into a 2 way slpitter, 1 leg feeds main tv, other leg feeds the rest of my house via different splitters in different locations.

In your case, if the main tv reception is good, it could be an issue with the cable feeding the booster ( ie incorrectly made off) OR

Have you tried to use the booster in the attic with the actual booster powered down, sometimes people use a booster when not needed thus sending too much signal to the tv points.

I know it can be a pain trying to get your head around all the cables and connections etc so if you want pm me your number and I will give you a call to explain it in more detail.( hope this doesnt contravene any rules of the forum)

Cheers

Chef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Lads,

Thanks for the replies.

Chef, the actual signal into the house is weak. When the booster is switched off, the tv is really snowy and unwatchable at all. Some of the stations are ok, but others are really bad. For e.g. E4 and Channel 4 are perfect, but we can't see NBC at all and Sky News is pretty bad.

I think I'll give Maplins a call - did'nt even think of them...

Thanks

D

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Hey Dools

I honestly think your reception should be better than that on 5 tv's.
    Before buying a new booster I would try a few things first.

Connect the main feed into the booster directly to the main tv cable
    ( bypassing booster) and see what the reception to that TV alone is like.

If Bad/or maybe as a matter of trying to find out I would check all the connections made by the sparks.
    It could be possible that part of the outer sheating ( mesh like material) within the cable might be touching off the copper inner ( hope that makes sense), if that was the case you would have a short on the cable thus causing bad reception.

I used to work for NTL in a previous life, in case you were wondering if I had any idea what I was talking about.

Its best to prove the main feed into your house in case the fault lies here and therefore just sending a dodgy reception around the house.

Anyway hope it all works out and as previously said any question's please feel free to ask.

Chef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Cheers Chef

Will check over weekend - not techie minded at all, but will try what you suggested...

D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

If you can get it to work fine I would be surprised. A did all the maths with the signal boosters and signal coming in and it still doesn't work right. Boosting the signal can actually distort the signal. Checked all signals and resistances and all is fine.
    I found some signal boosters work better than others but look up the figures to see what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I agree with chef, I've bypassed a good few TV Boosters etc and received a better picture, however getting a good Type F connection is difficult.
    The last time NTL were in my house the guy put a 5 way splitter on for me, i keep forgetting to check the DB rating on the outputs, the signal is great everywhere, I was blessed, when I wired the place I put in 6 points down stairs and brought them to the attic and left in a link to the NTL box, I was getting a second digital point so they called out to hook up another point. I was in work when they called so my wife called me to say that they could not do it because he could not find the cable, ie they were not marked, I told her to tell them that they must be joking and that they should have cables testers and finders etc, I then told her to ask he how they connect up apartmens etc ( as those cables are never marked and there would be 100s)
    So the guy made off all the cables

All because he did not have the right tools,
    maybe you could be that lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 acannydoitjim

I have a similar/ish problem to the original. I had a new tv point installed by electrician in attic conversion (NTL analog) Since then my reception in main living room is average but I get really bad C4 and no Discovery - May even be missing more than I know!

Is there an adjustment I can make to the NTL box in my eaves that will fic this?

Advertisement