Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone pull Man Utd deal 2 yrs early

• 23-11-2005 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/11/23/story231645.html

The media will love hitting this story as "another problem" for the "crisis at United", but it does seem more like a restructuring on behalf of Vodafone as it has just signed a 3 year deal with UEFA to sponsor the CL from next summer.

Rumour are that Audi will be next "Gold" sponsors... sample jersey attached.
    Whats the situation of their kits anyway? Is the home one due for replacement next year, or the following year?
    A new sponsor will bring in a huge increase in new sales if no change was planned...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Mightn't be the best time for United to have to look for fresh investment as I don't think the clubs image is quite at it's zenith at the moment with Glaziers at the helm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

p.pete wrote:
    Mightn't be the best time for United to have to look for fresh investment as I don't think the clubs image is quite at it's zenith at the moment with Glaziers at the helm.
    Ah c'mon. They will have absolutely no problems whatsoever attracting a big name sponsor.

B.

Yup, I agree - just don't think it's the best time for them to be squeezing top dollar from a big sponser, what with half the fans spending the Summer griping and demonstrating etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Its actually the opposite they are in the news far more at the moment so will prob get more :p

TheMonster wrote:
    Its actually the opposite they are in the news far more at the moment so will prob get more :p
    LOL, it's certainly about exposure I'll give you that much - sponsorship is about image as well though and I'm just suggesting that ManU's image isn't at an all time high.

Do Opel sponsor the CL and also football teams? what's the difference to what Vodafone want to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

p.pete wrote:
    Do Opel sponsor the CL and also football teams? what's the difference to what Vodafone want to do?
    I dont think Opel are CL sponsors... Ford are the main car sponsors here.
    Vodafone just want a bigger audience for a high class event... they can always be associated with winners at the end of the day.
    It's a great move by them, tbh. You may think the Vodafone shirt deal was great, but it wasnt very effective given the money involved.
    T_Mobiles deal with West Brom is well known as the most cost effective shirt deal in the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I would think from this report that United have decided to add an additional sponsor along with vodafone because they dont feel they have a deal thats on a par with Chelsea or real madrid.

Quote:
    "Red Devils commercial director Andy Anson is convinced it will actually allow the club to negotiate a better deal.

“The Manchester United shirt is the most iconic in sport,” he said.

“The club feels that, in the current market. There is a genuine chance to attract significant additional investment."
    End Quote

Chelsea or anybody could be winning all the trophies and United would still be a safer bet for advertising, Why? because globally more people watch United than any other club in the world

i must admit as far as publicity goes its a fairly bad time for United to be agreeing to end a sponsorship contract with their major sponsors, Mothers and fathers everywhere will curse them aswell cos the kids wont wear the vodafone jersey anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

, Mothers and fathers everywhere will curse them aswell cos the kids wont wear the vodafone jersey anymore

I know a three people that have bought jersey's as Christmas presents....at €50 a go, its very annoying:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

they were due to change their home shirt next season, they changed the away strip to the blue one this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

p.pete wrote:
    Yup, I agree - just don't think it's the best time for them to be squeezing top dollar from a big sponser, what with half the fans spending the Summer griping and demonstrating etc.

Since when were a few ridiculous mancurians anything to worry about anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

astrofool wrote:
    they were due to change their home shirt next season, they changed the away strip to the blue one this season
    ah, ok.
    So anyone who got the home kit would have done so knowing it would change next season anyway.
    More annoying if you bought an away one then :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'm with P.Pete on this one. It's not an ideal time to negotiate top dollar from a sponsor. Utd fans are simmering at the moment and there is a militant element (as we saw with cubic expression) that have the potential to make potential sponsors take a wide berth. In fact I have seen the tactic of targeting sponsors with Mass E-mail etc discussed on Utd Forums by anti Glazier supporters. Big Business may decide getting involved with United is not worth the hassle .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I heard that polo mints should be the new sponsers..... Cos they've a big hole in the middle hahaaw:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I heard that polo mints should be the new sponsers..... Cos they've a big hole in the middle hahaaw:(

PUN OF THE DECADE!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The Muppet wrote:
    I'm with P.Pete on this one. It's not an ideal time to negotiate top dollar from a sponsor. Utd fans are simmering at the moment and there is a militant element (as we saw with cubic expression) that have the potential to make potential sponsors take a wide berth. In fact I have seen the tactic of targeting sponsors with Mass E-mail etc discussed on Utd Forums by anti Glazier supporters. Big Business may decide getting involved with United is not worth the hassle .
    The loss of Vodafone is exactly what Shareholders Utd and other anti-Glazer groups wanted. Vodafone got absolutely bombarded by people telling them to quit United - more than any other company affiliated with MU. Whether that played any part in the decision is something of course that Vodafone or MU will never admit. Do Shareholders Utd have a website? Are they claiming this as a victory? Or have they changed their mind about the club losing sponsorships being a good thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Can somebody show me a quote anywhere(i.e. United or vodafone) that says Vodafone pulled out on United?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

PHB wrote:
    Can somebody show me a quote anywhere(i.e. United or vodafone) that says Vodafone pulled out on United?

Why do you think there'll be a quote? It was only reported to the stock market as a business release. There will be no offically quotes, never is in stock market releases.

anyhow in other news...
    Man Utd rule out renaming stadium

Manchester United have dismissed suggestions they could rename Old Trafford as part of a sponsorship deal.

The club are seeking a shirt sponsor after Vodafone ended its arrangement, but stadium naming rights will not be included in any new package.

"Old Trafford will always be Old Trafford, we are not going to do a naming rights deal," said the club's commercial director Andy Anson.

"We'll find a great shirt sponsor who's going to be a partner on that level."

Arsenal's new 60,000-seater ground in Ashburton Grove has been named the Emirates Stadium as part of a £100m eight-year deal with the airline which also includes shirt sponsorship.

However, United remain convinced that Vodafone's decision to end its partnership with the club two years early can work in their favour financially.

That confidence is backed up by the fact that the likes of Juventus, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Chelsea all have shirt deals worth more than United's agreement with Vodafone.

"The Manchester United shirt is the most iconic in sport," said Anson.

"The club feels that, in the current market, there is a genuine chance to attract significant additional investment.

"Initial soundings and discussions with a number of world class potential partners have been very encouraging and we are confident of securing a new deal in the coming months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

This is from a slightly more impartial website: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,277-1888008,00.html

There's a great chance that United will be able to increase revenue from this but I'm thinking that they may need to get more then one bidder involved and try get them playing off each other.

Pros: largest fan base; playing in the most watched league; regularly in the CL; high profile club

Cons: seems dodgy that previous sponsor pulled plug; do we want to be associated with the Glazers; Fans unrest / militant; uncertain to get out of CL group stages; lack of recent trophies; just lost influential captain; manager will possibly change soon (could be seen as good or bad but it adds to uncertainties)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Do Shareholders Utd have a website? Are they claiming this as a victory? Or have they changed their mind about the club losing sponsorships being a good thing?

http://www.shareholdersunited.org/ is the shareholder United Website.

Sharholder United is not what it was pre takeover . I have not been on the site lately so you will have to check out their site to answer your other question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

PHB wrote:

Are you suggesting that United got rid of Vodafone? Certainly all the news articles above agree that it was Vodafone terminating the agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

united will ,no matter what there current situation, be able to attract a top dollar shirt sponsor. They will get exposure all over the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

This was posted on rednews earlier, the final section of the piece made me smile though.....
    Sam Wallace in Indy on Vodafone.

[Snip]

United, who were originally sponsored by Japanese electronics firm Sharp from
    1982 to 1990, could opt for a Far East sponsor. It has not gone unnoticed
    among Old Trafford officials that representatives of Samsung are more
    interested in obtaining tickets to watch United than Chelsea because of the
    presence of South Korea international Park Ji-Sung in the team.'

Advertisement