Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ABS light comes on

Options
  • 23-11-2005 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

The ABS light come on my car from about half of the time. Probably more than half. Is this just a brake pad that needs replacing? It brakes fine. I've come across this before when it happened to my dad's car. The brake pad was only half worn but the sendsor wire though the pad had been worn through.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

What kind of car is it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If your ABS light comes on then (without knowing the type of car) it is unlikely to be a brake pad issue as this would have a different light.
    What does the light look like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

It's orange and says abs and it's on a 316i.

I know with my E39 that it can be caused by the sensor under the passenger seat coming loose and requires re-setting by a dealer or mechanic with the tool.

Orange light means that it is not a serious issue.
    Your brakes are still working but the abs is switched off.

Any red lights on the dash and you have a problem...

Might be worth bringing it to a main dealer and have them plug a computer into it to check it.

• Advertisement

Do they charge you to diagnose the car with the computer?

No idea. Have to get it done myself.
    Ring em up and ask but I would think they will charge as it is labour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭quon

would you be low on brake fluid?

brake fluid has a red light (on BMWs it operates as a fluid and pad wear sensor light).

A dealer will more than likely charge you for resetting it, unless you know them really well!

I went a a dealer and I got them to plug the computer in and cleared the light but it came back on again.

So I was reading about it on the internet and it said that there are faulty relays in E36s up to year 1996. I replaced the grey ABS relay for 25 euros and the light hasn't come back since.

• Advertisement
Advertisement