Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panic grips campus as matrix mainframe crashes

Options
  • 23-11-2005 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

how long was the network down?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

It was down for over an hour, not 100% sure when it came back - it crashed around 1 and judging by the lack of people on computers right now I'd say it's not long back - on the plus side my boring healthcare informatics practical was cancelled because of it so i got extra time to study, handy out.

Apparently they were adding software or something and it crashed the entire system, not just belfield but the terrace aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It was kinda funny the way people reacted in CS... put it this way: there was a spontaneous outbreak of FreeCell playing in the 2nd year lab! It annoyed me more that the wireless was down and I couldn't use my laptop to check my emails and read forums at lunchtime.

Luckily, the network came back just in time for my practical. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

It went down when I had a 2 hour break...that was a fun break...:(

Ditto.

• Advertisement

*thanks the good dude for the GB of Family Guy on her laptop*

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

what i don't understand is what the hell the did to crash the main network. they must have tried upgrading the main router (filbert AFAIK) in the middle of the day or something - are they really fúcking eejits?

I think we all know the answer to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I had a report to finish when it went down. I finally got to begin work on it...5 minutes before my practical started :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 craiglen

Yep if there's even a remote chance that the upgrade work could possibly down the ****ing network then they should do it at 4am or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

ah i was ok. Was already logged in when it went down throwing out code so it didnt affect me much until i'd finished so i had to do some accounting :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I wasn't in today, so it didn't affect me :cool:

Imagine the whole system was formatted, and everyone lost everything!!! :eek:

*goes and backs everything up on a disc*

scary thought...

This is a good reason to own a laptop :p

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

What fun for those that don't have laptops and have projects due (joy of 3rd CS) :(

As for upgrades, yeah, normally they do things at sensible hours like dead hours of the morning. But also remember, these people work at about a third of the rate they'd get for the same job off-campus. Pay peanuts...

P.B.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

panic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭ronanp

Folks,

The outage was not caused by any botched upgrades or anything of the sort. There is a maintenance window for such changes and 1pm on a Wednesday certainly isn't it. The cause is not a hundred per cent known as yet but has been sourced to a faculty that is NOT Computing Services. Obviously such a fault should never occur but the nature of the network here means that certain faculties require more access than would be granted elsewhere, leaving the entire network vunerable. There are plans in progress to ensure that one faculty cannot bring down all others in the future but as i'm sure ye can imagine it's not an overnight thing.

Cheers,
    Ronan

DaveMcG wrote:
    I wasn't in today, so it didn't affect me :cool:

Imagine the whole system was formatted, and everyone lost everything!!! :eek:

*goes and backs everything up on a disc*

scary thought...

I would love to do that....

Not to ucd though. I'll try to do it to the trinners network! anyone with me?:v:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

craiglen wrote:
    Not to ucd though. I'll try to do it to the trinners network! anyone with me?:v:
    Not on my watch!

Not on my watch!

Look over there then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 whatsgoin'on

What fun for those that don't have laptops and have projects due (joy of 3rd CS) :(

Too true. just lucky that there wasn't a practial of project due that evenin'
    cause if there was i've ran round the 3rd CS lab like a lunatic, as would have everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Switchead

hmmphh, laptops eh, i know it was my own fault for not backin stuff up but i my hard drive got fried there a few weeks ago cuz of an electrical surge...lost EVERYTHIN:mad:

Advertisement