Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing car from England

Options
  • 23-11-2005 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

First of all I know nothing about importing a car.
    I bought a car with an English reg here in Ireland. I am going to pay the VRT and register it here. The only documents I got from the previous owner (who had it in his garage for 2 years) is an application for import of vehicle (V756 form). It has his details on it. Will this be enough to get it registered in my name here or what do I have to do? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

You need a V5C form.

Registration Certificate.

looking at mine right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

How would I go about getting one of those?

A guy here at work has told me he didnt have any official documents when importing his golf gti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

So what proof do you have that you now own the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I dont have any. Thats why I was wondering what I can do. I can get it in writing from previous owner no problem cos I know him. I have the previous owners documents but thats all. It is my car by the way.

Well that seems to be the problem then in that you don't have any legal document to say that the car was sold to you and the previous owner doesn't have any documents to say he was the owner either by what you say (if all he had was a document requesting import).

Where is the V5? If the previous (well current really!) owner (ie the guy you paid) is actually registered with the DVLA as the vehicle's owner he can apply for a copy of the V5 if it has been lost. He should then give the entire V5 to you and you can then bring the V5 to the VRO here in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 cheapthrills

you dont need the v5, as the car is being exported permanently the v5 is effectively redundant. just fill in the v756 with your details(you can download one here http://www.dvla.gov.uk/forms/frms_vehicles.htm) send it to the dvla and they send back a cert of permanent export.
    word of warning though, it took 9 weeks to get it back from them.

And they just take your word for it that you now own the car?
    I would have thought that the certificate of permanent export goes to the last registered owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 cheapthrills

i wrote a letter with the v756 explaining the situation(didnt have the v5), in the letter i included the name/address and contact details of the previous keeper for authenticity. as far as the dvla is concerned the car has left the country so its not their problem any more.
    presumably they do a police check on every vehicle when theres a change of owner or export.

the other option is to get the previous owner to fill it in a v62 form for a new v5. problem with this is dvla wont accept it if its posted from outside the uk.

Advertisement