Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peer Alcohol Education Program

• 23-11-2005 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭

This is basically where students are taught about alcohol education with the endgame of them teaching a younger class about alcohol.

I'm on the "team" in my school and was just wonder-funder-ing if anyone knows about this in the their school, or is involved in it themselves. As I understand it, it's being done by only 6 schools in Dublin this year, as a test run, so to speak.

Oh, and for our resident Fascist, this is related to TY in that it is TY students who are trained and, in the end, teach.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I havent heard of it anyway :) good luck with it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Never heard of it either.

The closest thing like that we did was the TYs had to tell the other years about the Christmas Box Appeal, and basically extract the shoeboxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Thanks for that little added on note there. Otherwise, your thread would have been a bit like your mother: locked.

For she's an alchoholic.

Which is ironic, because that's the very thing you're teaching about. It all ties in.

Go fourth year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Truly a mod. for all seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

Hasn't her avatar even started to look that bit more menacing?! But still, that's what a Mod is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Belvedere college are doing it, i applied for it but didnt get it

Yeah, that's where I'm doing it. It would seem that you're in my year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

Ohhhh you guys might sit beside each other in a class or something and not know that you are you! If ya know what I mean! Scary stuff!

Nope found out who we are dont do any of the same classes :p

But our lockers are on top of each other.

• Advertisement

True, Kev my user name is pronounced Fire Fighter, not fir fitter as you said it at the bus stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

So did you just go around asking everyone if they were on boards?

Little invention called private messaging people :p I told him who i was and he told me who he was quite simple really

As fantastic and coincidental as I find this (and I DO) it has nothing to do with peer education. Back on topic here people!

Well were education each other as to who we are isn't that peer education.

If not whats involved and who's running it i know Mr. o'sullivan is involved but that's it

Aye, Mr. O'Sullivan is the man in Belvedere but we're being visited by the head... guy tomorrow. I think they might be intentionally not letting us know which schools are doing it, so as not to contaminate the test pool, if that makes any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

What's there to theach? Most tastes bad... always make sure the little number with the '%' sign after it is as high as possible... will make your head go funny and your sorrows seem blurred.

Ok Mr. Hefner, peer educate him. Let's see what you can do....

All in moderation
    Laughs a plenty.
    Call a taxi.
    On with the night.
    Hold your money.
    Old people suck.
    Learn from others.

What does it spell!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

sounds like a load of bollox to me..most teens who drink know everything thats necessary by the time they reach TY...nobody gives a **** about some old mans alcoholic sob story, or the health risks if you drink 10 shoulders a day..... whoevers idea it was is just wasting the countries money tbh :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

sounds ?

who running it, who is sponsoring it?

does it preach abstination to under 18s?

Ir preaches responsible over 18s drinking, and responsible under 18s drinking if one does drink. Basically responsible drinking in general.

It's not sponsored per se. Some Irish drinking authority is working with the British drinking authority that did it in Britain. I can't remember the name of either to be honest. We did meet with the two guys in charge though.
    Apart from some learning supplies (provided by the organisation) there aren't really any costs.

Advertisement