Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VLAN Trunking Issue

Options
  • 23-11-2005 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Switch model: WS-C2950T-48-SI
    Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(22)EA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Wed 23-Mar-05 15:33 by yenanh
    Image text-base: 0x80010000, data-base: 0x80562000
    Patched to a 6509 core switch on which 77 VLANs are configured.
    Switch will not learn VLANs automatically as we're told that there's a limit of 64.
    At the moment I've manually configured the VLANs on these switches, but I'm unsure if they'll learn future VLANs when they're put into service.
    Has anyone come across such an issue on this model switch?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭HybridTech

Here's my possible solutions:

Why it happens?
    The switch when it exceeds the max no. of vlans enters transparent mode. When in this mode it will not update it's config from any updates received from a vtp server. Instead it uses the config revision no. prior to the one that sent it into transparent mode.

Suggested poss solutions:

1. vtp pruning at the core. i.e. Does the 2950 need to know about all 77 vlans?

2. get a newer switch.

Hope this is of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Aye, pruning is an idea.

I think SIs were ordered instead of EIs + copper gbics.

I wouldn't have thought there'd be such a constricted limit on the updates, considering the switch has (about?) 32meg ram.

Thanks for the help

Advertisement